Mactel.com

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by michaelrjohnson, Jun 26, 2005.

1. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

If you may remember, in the days following the Apple-Intel announcement, there were discussions about the name that the new computers would get conversationally. One of the main choices was Mactel, but some MR members noted that Mactel is the name of a wireless phone provider in Alaska. Now that Apple has filed for the 'Mactel' trademark, Mactel.com no longer displays the linked redirect page.

My guess is that it will redirect to Apple.com within the year.

2. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

So does this mean that Apple will change their entire line from Macintosh to Mactel? Sounds too much like Mattel to me and makes me think of Barbie instead of a Mac. I guess we will see what happens.

I think we can safely assume that Barbie's computer of choice would be a Mactel.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Still a Alaska Communications Systems registered site at Network Solutions.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I wouldn't bet on it. When does Apple ever say "Macintosh" anymore anyway?

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Then we know what the colorscheme is going to be of the new Macs.... Barbiepink! And ofcourse we will have special Apple products, like Barbies iPod...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sweeeeeeet! :D Of course, I've already pinkified my iBook substantially.... :rolleyes:

7. brianus macrumors 6502

It's so stupid sounding. Doesn't "Macintel" make more sense anyway? Mactel is like.. Inteldows. It doesn't actually play on the words like Wintel does, just tries to clumsily mash them together.

Anyway, the switch to PowerPC didn't change the name of the product (and the "Power-" monicker dated from years earlier, with the introduction of the PowerBook), so I don't see why it would this time either.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I suspect that they're copyrighting it not to actually use it (or at least, not to use it very often), but to control its usage by others when making allusions to the Intel Macs....