Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I used this website/forum for themes and creating/requesting themed icons!

Are there any altenratives now that Macthemes.net seems to have (sadly) gone offline?

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16688969/
Seems like it.

There is dbarevolution, which almost went through the same thing when an admin abruptly shut down the original dbar forums and the former members resurrected it. Only thing is there isn't any OS X customizations and its mostly private themes (you have to go through a "process" to gain access to the themes area).

Perhaps, more activity can spark a little in the iOS department over there.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16688969/
Seems like it.

There is dbarevolution, which almost went through the same thing when an admin abruptly shut down the original dbar forums and the former members resurrected it. Only thing is there isn't any OS X customizations and its mostly private themes (you have to go through a "process" to gain access to the themes area).

Perhaps, more activity can spark a little in the iOS department over there.

That is tragic! I visited this site a lot. It seemed fairly self-sustaining so I'm sad to see it go.

I don't care for OS X, I'm purely looking for iOS themes!

I'll check it out, thanks.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
That is tragic! I visited this site a lot. It seemed fairly self-sustaining so I'm sad to see it go.

I don't care for OS X, I'm purely looking for iOS themes!

I'll check it out, thanks.
I was active on MT as well. You can also try Iconpaper, but they generally link back to the source. So if the source if from MacThemes, you wont be able to grab it. Some other sites that could aid in your quest for iOS themes:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I was active on MT as well. You can also try Iconpaper, but they generally link back to the source. So if the source if from MacThemes, you wont be able to grab it. Some other sites that could aid in your quest for iOS themes:

Thanks again! I hope these can come somewhat close to Macthemes :(

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Thanks again! I hope these can come somewhat close to Macthemes :(
Usually some of the later themes and customizations were cross-posted by the artist from their deviant.

Whats unfortunate is how dominate the Andriod scene is. Thats the only thing about Andriod that I'm jealous of, you can literally do anything you want in regards to customization (which was what my past few themes have been inspired from).

So yeah, I think you will find a majority of the themes on deviant since most of those artist showcase them there.

You can also search dribbble, but I'm not sure as you have to apply to be a member, and its mostly for show. I'm not sure how many release their iOS customizations there.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
As sad as it is to see one of the greatest theming communities go, one simply can't deny that MacThemes had this coming. The site was practically dead when i visited it the last time!

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
As sad as it is to see one of the greatest theming communities go, one simply can't deny that MacThemes had this coming. The site was practically dead when i visited it the last time!
As I stated before, I just wish they had given a weeks warning so we could grab the things we wanted. While I do have saved what I download, and there are those who posted their work on deviant, MT was a clean and easy index.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009

Hmm I don't know about dead? They could have heavily simplified it to just iOS, as obviously OS X theming is dead. In addition, it was almost a little too control freaky with the modding. They could have streamlined it more and simplified it to keep it running.

As I stated before, I just wish they had given a weeks warning so we could grab the things we wanted. While I do have saved what I download, and there are those who posted their work on deviant, MT was a clean and easy index.

I agree :(

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Hmm I don't know about dead? They could have heavily simplified it to just iOS, as obviously OS X theming is dead. In addition, it was almost a little too control freaky with the modding. They could have streamlined it more and simplified it to keep it running.
From what I gathered in my last few visits (which was up to a day before it went down), it was active in the already active threads, but we didn't see too many new releases. A few people posted in the WIP, but if they weren't still working on it, the project seemed abandoned.

The iOS department was still alive somewhat.

I think it was mostly the case of keeping the servers up and the cost not being worth the small traffic it was bringing in.

shoes222

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Hey gang. I've been working on getting a new iOS theming site and repository up, where people can share and download premium-designed themes for their iDevices. I'm not affiliated with the original macthemes site, but was an active member for many years. It's worth a shot trying to bring back and grow the iOS theming community again, and I hope to have it online and ready to go by the time the iOS 6 jailbreak is out! You can PM me for details.

gusbemac

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2012
Anywhere
Hello Shoes!

Hey gang. I've been working on getting a new iOS theming site and repository up, where people can share and download premium-designed themes for their iDevices. I'm not affiliated with the original macthemes site, but was an active member for many years. It's worth a shot trying to bring back and grow the iOS theming community again, and I hope to have it online and ready to go by the time the iOS 6 jailbreak is out! You can PM me for details.

When will it be ready?

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
It's a shame, was the owner unable to host it? I have some resources at my disposal to cover the hosting if that was it...

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009

Wow this is so exciting, thank you for putting this out there. I hope you post here when it's ready to go!

It's a shame, was the owner unable to host it? I have some resources at my disposal to cover the hosting if that was it...

Yea, I'm with you. I loved that website, and, having come to realize the probable lacking financial condition, would have contributed!

shoes222

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
When will it be ready?

I don't want to give a definitive timetable, because there is still a lot of work left to do. But as stated I'm working as hard as possible to have it ready by the time an iOS 6 jailbreak is released.

In terms of the work involved, I've been poring over the archives of macthemes and dbarthemes, trying to pull whatever relevant content I can into the new site. I've also been reaching out to the very talented designers who have contributed themes to the old macthemes site, so they can be an active part of the community moving forward.

I want to make this really nice, and I imagine it'll be roughly another week or two before the site will be open to the public. Thank you all for your support, and I will surely post in this thread when it's ready to go.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
I don't want to give a definitive timetable, because there is still a lot of work left to do. But as stated I'm working as hard as possible to have it ready by the time an iOS 6 jailbreak is released.

In terms of the work involved, I've been poring over the archives of macthemes and dbarthemes, trying to pull whatever relevant content I can into the new site. I've also been reaching out to the very talented designers who have contributed themes to the old macthemes site, so they can be an active part of the community moving forward.

I want to make this really nice, and I imagine it'll be roughly another week or two before the site will be open to the public. Thank you all for your support, and I will surely post in this thread when it's ready to go.

It'll be nice to have a themeing site again.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009

Looking forward to it!

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Sad to see it go... I made hundreds of Suave HD icons for MacThemes.net. Perhaps I'll put them on my site as a download pack. Really looking forward to the new site though. Let me know if you need the icons I made.

highfiveface

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Sad to see it go... I made hundreds of Suave HD icons for MacThemes.net. Perhaps I'll put them on my site as a download pack. Really looking forward to the new site though. Let me know if you need the icons I made.

If you don't mind! :)

Can't wait to see the new site too ^.^

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
If you don't mind! :)

Can't wait to see the new site too ^.^

I'll work on it this weekend when I have some time. Hopefully we can get Suave HD up and running again. It was always my favorite theme. By the way, I made much more than hundreds of icons. I just looked in my icons folder, and I actually made 1015 icons. Wow! I definitely did not seem like that many.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.