MacTheRipper alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 7on, Jun 17, 2006.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Is there any freeware alternatives to MacTheRipper? I have 2.6.6 but I hear the Universal version will be shareware. The PPC version is rather slow under Rosetta and I was just curious about deCSS alternatives.

Thanks.

2. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i tried mactheripper earlier today, and it was off with the timing of my episodes of the simpsons. now i'm using handbrake which is working swimmingly :cool:

3. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

4. vgoklani macrumors regular

vgoklani

Version 3.x is much better, but you need to do some digging to find it - and it is a univeral binary. Handbrake does NOT remove the region encoding.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

By digging to you mean donate to the site to download it? Or by digging do you mean look on a torrent site?

6. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Either, actually.

Last I knew (and it may have changed) the final release of v3 will be free, but maybe I'm wrong...

7. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Here's a link to Handbrake 0.7.1.
    (Click the link then click "download")

According to the website, Handbrake 0.7.1 is a Universal Binary. I don't know how someone could get 3.x, but that must be one damn good app.

:)

Thanks for starting this thread, as I was also looking for a MacTheRipper alternative... this very second.

8. vgoklani macrumors regular

vgoklani

again, handbrake doesn't rip DVDs, it just converts the format...as for mactheripper, verion 3 will not be free(!), the author has been fairly adamant about that....

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

My copy of Handbrake definitely rips DVDs. Of course it converts the format in the process, but it's not like you have to start with a pre-decrypted ripped VIDEO_TS folder.

10. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I have Handbrake 0.7.1, and all I have to do is pop the disk in, do a few things in handbrake, and boom, i've got one quicktime file of the entire movie from beginning to end in DVD quality.

I think that's considered "ripping".

11. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

I want to rip straight video_TS then I can use my Popcorn 2 software to compress and burn. Popcorn doesn't handle .movs

12. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I would consider that converting. Why because it is no longer the same format... it has been converted to another format, usually more lossy than the original. Ripping purly removes the copy protection and region restrictions so you are free to use the DVD according to your fair use rights. So no, handbrake is not an alternative to mactheripper.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's not slow because of Rosetta. It's slow because of the drive. ;)

I remember another Intel user running MacTheRipper using a 16x external firewire DVD and getting nearly identical ripping times under native PowerPC and Rosetta.

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

So I'm not ripping my CDs when I'm importing them into iTunes just because I use aac and not aiff...? :confused:

15. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Really? It felt slower than my G4 Tibook at ripping. But actual tests versus my "feelings" is kinda moot.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://www.google.com/search?q=+mac...ient=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbt...=393926&page=8&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

17. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Drag the video_TS folder from the DVD to your hard drive?

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That doesn't work. The whole point of "ripper" apps is to let you copy the files to your hard drive.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You have to rip them first to get past the Macrovision or CSS encryption/protection. You rip them using MacTheRipper and then Popcorn can handle them just fine.

20. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

No, you are ripping and then converting them. As 7on stated, he wants the VIDEO_TS folder, which contain VOB files. If you don't end up with that then the format has been changed, thus it is not only ripping them but converting them as well.

Although handbrake does rip the dvd before converting it, since it requires you to encode the video it should not be called a "ripper" as it does not perform all the functionality of a ripper (i.e. giving you a decrypted region free VIDEO_TS folder containing VOBs with the same exact video quality).

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Link

I think it's safe to use the term ripping for the whole process... ;)

22. theorem7 macrumors member

I know it's not freeware (I use Handbrake for all my ripping needs as well), but I just saw this new app on MacUpdate today called Hawkeye (developer's home page) that is able to rip and author DVD's and seems to have quite a nice feature set. I can't actually try it out, because for some reason I can't mount commercial DVD's (there are a lot of people with eMacs having the same, or related, problem. Fortunately, Handbrake doesn't require the disk to be mounted, so it works for me. But Handbrake doesn't seem to be what you're looking for...), but maybe Hawkeye could do the job for you? I'm not actually even sure if it is able to rip copy-protected DVD's (although I think it can), I just thought it looked interesting, and had many of the features you seem to be looking for...

23. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

I have a question similar to the subject

I rip my dvds with mac the ripper, but i can only play them threw the dvd player. how do i put them on a dvd?? and do other stuff with them??

I totally do not have a clue what I'm doing

24. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

The key word there is "then." By the use of the word "then" it is saying that after it has been ripped it is then usually encoded (which isn't actually correct, as it's already encoded, it is being re-encoded, but I won't get into all the inaccuracies that wikipedia contains). Also I have never ever heard Analog to Digital conversion refered to as "ripping." Digitizing, yes. Ripping, no.