Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idleauk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Hi,

I am considering taking advantage of the MacUpdate bundle offer (ending tonight), which includes v5 of Parallels Desktop.

I already have a 32bit installation of Windows 7 on my MacBook (via Boot Camp), but can see significant advantages of also accessing windows inside OSX.

Firstly, the MacUpdate small print states "Note: Your bundle license works only with the U.S. English version of Parallels. However, this version can run on any Mac OS X installation regardless of what language you normally use." Will the US version cause problems with a UK version of windows?

Secondly, I believe it will install OK having already got the Boot Camp partition set up. I understand that I may need to reactivate the copy of windows once the installation has taken place, but that it should all be fairly smooth. Can anyone please confirm that I can run both bootcamp and parallels 5 with windows 7 side by side?

Thanks,
David

.product

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
Yes you will be able to run them side by side. Parallels includes an option when you're setting up a new VM to use a BootCamp partition.

I'm not exactly sure about the UK/US version of windows issue though. I would be very very surprised if you ran into problems though. Parallels 5 is a wonderful improvement and definitely worth the money.

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
No matter how you slice it, it's a good deal.
I was just about to buy Parallels with a $20 off coupon from them. That would have brought it to $59. But here I got it for $49 with the other software.

idleauk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Well I went for the offer, but for some reason when I set up the VM using the wizard and telling it to use the bootcamp partition it created 2 VMs (and put 2 parallels icons on the desktop) - one called "My Boot Camp" and the other "Windows 7". When both of them were clicked they started up a 30min setup process, but both appeared to be identical. I have therefore deleted the "My Boot Camp" VM.

However, now when starting the Windows 7 VM I got a message informing me that the DVD drive would not work. I have resolved this by changing the drop down box in the CD/DVD hardware configuration to the real drive (as opposed to an image file??) and clicking the 'connected' checkbox. But this means that the drive works either in OSX or in Windows. Can they not share it, as they do for keyboard, network etc.? Or is this how it is meant to be?

If I have messed it all up by deleting "My Boot Camp", I guess I'll just delete the other VM and start all over again! Just want to get this sorted ASAP before I reactivate windows.

Many thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.