MacUpdate Software Bundle Sale [Update]

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Readers may remember the MacHeist scavenger hunt bundle last year which offered a final 10 application bundle (value $307.74) for $49.

This morning, MacUpdate has launched a week-long sale offering 10 Mac applications ($433.82 value) for $49.99. These applications include:

GraphicConverter - image editor/converter
    Fetch - FTP Client
    iWOW - iTunes audio enhancement plug in
    GarageSale - eBay auction software
    Cocktail - Mac OS X system utility
    ProfCast - Record presentations for podcasts
    Amadeus Pro - Multitrack Audio editor
    Little Snitch * - Prevents applications from "phoning home".
    Intaglio * - Drawing and Illustration
    TechTool Pro * - Repair utility

* Three of the applications are "locked" unless a certain number of goal sales are met. 2500 sales for Little Snitch, 4000 sales for Intaglio and 9999 sales for TechTool Pro. Once unlocked, they will be available for everyone who purchased a bundle.

The MacHeist crew have partnered with MacUpdate and added value to the bundle by adding in the following applications if you purchase through them (for a limited time):

Browseback - Visual web history
    Exces - Password protect files
    "Secret Application" - to be announced
    Beta spot for Pixelmator - Image editor with Core Image
    Beta spot for Flow - brings FTP and editing together
    Free ticket to enter the next MacHeist Skunkworks project early

Visit MacHeist to purchase special bundle.

Update: Little Snitch and Intaglio have been unlocked. Also WriteRoom has been added to MacHeist's bundle for free. has a business relationship with MacHeist

Article Link: MacUpdate Software Bundle Sale [Update]
  2. macrumors 6502

Mar 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    The price is worth it for Cocktail and TechTool alone! Not too shabby at all!
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2005
    That does seem like a fairly unreal deal alright!
  4. macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    the price is worth it for intaglio alone. i hope they get unlocked. for $50 i take the chance. what are the chances?
  5. macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location
    Yeah, I actually want PixelMator, but all they're giving you is a beta of that software, right? It's not like they're throwing that into the bundle. That software is definitely something I really really want, just because it has many Photoshop-ish features, but probably runs faster (I don't have CS3). Intaglio also makes the deal sweet. That alone could make the package worth $49. PixelMator would have enticed me to pay more for the package.
  6. macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    I'd rather pay full price into the pocket of these great developers.
  7. macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    aeh..wouldn't the developer not participate if it's not a good deal for them?
  8. macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2006
    Go for Intaglio

If you want a simple but powerful drawing tool, Intaglio is phenomenal. Its basic features are useable form day 1, and by day 10 you can be a "master." I use it daily for schematics and other scientific drawings. And, of course, its nice for small edits on family photos, etc.
  9. macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    No, developers use it to get exposure to the programs..... snare people in then you keep buying their updates. The actual financial deal they get from MH i believe is not great. As such i would rather pay these guys in full for all their hard work.
  10. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I think I'll jump on board. Fact is I'm weary of the rest not being unlocked, but there are enough people out there where I think it may become unlocked.
  11. macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    I bought last year's bundle and I could see myself buying this year's as well

...even if Phil Ryu is a profiting weasel
  12. macrumors member

Apr 8, 2007
    Clicked on the MacHeist link and their site activates the webcam on my iMac.

Can't crap like this be blocked?
  13. macrumors newbie

May 6, 2007
    As if the word "Heist" wasn't scary enough?

Gah! I thought I got away from crap like this happening when I switched!

Shame on MacRumors; aligning yourself this way on page one in an obvious attempt to generate revenue. I'm all for you making a buck on the site and all, but that's just pretty sleazy. What's the need for it even?

Seriously makes me want to get a nice little piece of electrical tape for the future...
  14. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Dec 23, 2006
    In my imagination
    Most of the apps on this heist suck. I don't need free image editors and two different FTP softwares. I already have Fetch and barely use it.... but TechTool Pro is sweet. I would pay $50 just to get that app at alone at half price and dump much of the rest. I just hope that this weasel guy that everyone speaks of makes his quota so he can unlock it.

Last years heist had some good apps that were actually kinda useful. I should hopped on that one.
  15. macrumors 6502

16. macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location
    Ok, but Intaglio is $89 on their website, and it's $49 through this package (along with every other app). I'd happily pay $49 for Intaglio if you figure out a way of doing so. Otherwise, I can't really afford to just give an extra $40 to them based on your word. :confused:

I'd happily pay $49 for Intaglio because it's the only app I can see myself using semi-frequently. Having Coctail would be nice, but it's not like I get to play with it, nor is my system unstable without it. However, knowing this deal is around, I wouldn't pay $89 when I can pay $49......not as a student with no income at the moment. :eek:
  17. macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2006
    Seconded. Intaglio alone is worth (to some people, including myself) the price of admission. The program has been a life saver for me and was worth to me several times over, even considering that I paid for two licences at $89 each.
  18. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    I totally agreed with this reasoning last time they did this. I wasn't a fan either.

But round 2? Unlike the first time, all of these guys should know exactly what they're getting to. You can't make the case that they weren't aware going in.

So I don't see any problem promoting this one.
  19. macrumors 65816

Apr 26, 2004
    Thanks. Please let us know when Ford restarts its SUV rebates and when the panty sales starts at Victoria's Secret.

Why don't you just charge them and call it an ad?
  20. macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location
    I HATE(!!) how the MacHeist website turns on your iSight automatically when you enter their website. :mad:

Jesus, is Intaglio THAT good?!?!

The fact that I'm now also interested in GarageSale makes this bundle worth it IF I can get Intaglio. I'll go for this package once sales hit 2500 (and with a reasonable amount of time remaining). The rest.....well, I could live without it. However, Coctail would be nice to own, I guess.

Also, MacUpdate is the one offering it. I'm not going to buy it from MacHeist at all, despite the extra beta software and "secret app" they're promising. eenu can sleep tonight without losing too much sleep over it. ;)

Buy it through MacUpdate if you don't believe in what MacHeist stands for. I am. I even wrote a message at the MacHeist website if you want to read it.
  21. macrumors member

Jan 5, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah this is really an ad. You've lost integrity here Arn.
  22. Retired

May 16, 2006
    Macrumors often displays price-cuts etc. when they are of interest to members...

Not long ago was a story on the new Parallels upgrade price...
  23. macrumors 68040

Oct 25, 2004
    That's funny, a big ad just appeared where page one stories usually go.
    Really strange. I hope MR can fix this soon...
  24. macrumors 65816

Jun 9, 2004
    I am losing my respect for macrumors. This is sleazy.
  25. macrumors member

Dec 21, 2005
    Okay, I know I'm being a bit thick here, but what is this 'unlocking' thing?

If I pay my $49 am I getting full, useable non time-limited versions of all this software or not?