Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F.D.

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2005
Of the listed applications offered by MacUpdate (the first list), the three with asterisks (• Little Snitch • Intaglio • TechTool Pro) will not be offered unless x number of people purchase the package thereby "unlocking" it and making it available.

I had a sneaky suspicion that's what it meant, but I thought I'd check before passing up the offer.

Shame really, because I was after Intaglio more than anything. I'd rather just pay for the damn application than take my chances with something like this. Anyone know what the track record of offers like this are?

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
"Insider" knowledge and google searches aside, I think that supporting the unethical business model that MacHeist has done and is apparently doing now gives it legitimacy, and I think, correct me if I'm wrong, this is what Eenu is arguing. What MacHeist offers to these independent developers is not done in good faith.

This is, of course, my opinion, and everyone is entitled to it. :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
I'm not saying I support MacHeist and their business model, but I checked it out last time. The only app that interested me was Disco, so instead of paying the package price, I went and bought it direct from the developer's site. As far as the publicity the developers get from participating, I can't say it doesn't work.

Fwink!

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2002
Earth
I wonder if all these "great" apps are going to be leopard compatible, or might they require an update?

yeah, I'll pass.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
You know, I'm not so sure I feel badly for the developers. It's not like they are forced to agree to the terms and conditions. This is an avenue of marketing for them. If they don't think it's worth it, then they don't have to participate. Badmouthing MacRumors and MacHeist for trying to get you a good deal doesn't really work for me.

If Micromat thought they were getting a crappy deal they wouldn't have done it. They've been around a long time and you're suggesting that they're dumb for making this deal. Not sure I agree. If each developer does get $5.00 per app and there's 10 applications and the bundle is $49.99, then it doesn't sound like MacHeist is making a heist. Of course the dirt is in the details, but no one but the developers and MacHeist knows what they are.

To me this is a form of marketing and marketing costs money.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
MacHeist didn't switch on my webcam on my Macbook...

Here is why developers are taking part.

The reason they aren't taking part again is that most major Mac developers only have one or two applications, and once they have hooked you with one they can cross promote their other applications to you so these deals aren't worthwhile to re-participate in.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
oops

Free Bundle Give Away!

oops i bought the bundle twice by accident :( anybody want a free bundle? pm me quickly if you do. include 2-5 lines on why you should have my free bundle... first decent reply gets it :)

UPDATE ok ive given it away now.

congrats to:-

GooMan for getting:
• GraphicConverter - image editor/converter
• Fetch - FTP Client
• iWOW - iTunes audio enhancement plug in
• GarageSale - eBay auction software
• Cocktail - Mac OS X system utility
• ProfCast - Record presentations for podcasts
• Amadeus Pro - Multitrack Audio editor

and devilot who will be getting:
• Little Snitch * - Prevents applications from "phoning home".
• Intaglio * - Drawing and Illustration
• TechTool Pro * - Repair utility
• Browseback - Visual web history
• Exces - Password protect files
• "Secret Application" - to be announced
• Beta spot for Pixelmator - Image editor with Core Image
• Beta spot for Flow - brings FTP and editing together
• Free ticket to enter the next MacHeist Skunkworks project early
(will be with you asap)

sorry its gone. please dont pm me anymore :D

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Last time the developers made 1.1% while MacHeist made 90% profit. Thats roughly $5000 for each developer and $500,000 for MacHeist. This time the deal is nearly the same.

The devs would be better off if you pirated the software instead.

[edit]I've been assured by the MacUpdate promoters that their deal is different than the MacHeist one.

I have also been repeatedly told that the above figures are a lie, but those who provided them to me disagree. I guess its just up to each of us who to believe - I honestly would like to believe the MacHeist guys, but I don't really understand why the developers involved would lie about what they got.[/edit]

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
Last time the developers made 1.1% while MacHeist made 90% profit. Thats roughly $5000 for each developer and $500,000 for MacHeist. This time the deal is nearly the same.

The devs would be better off if you pirated the software instead.

If they didnt want to sell their programs in the bundle then they could have just sed no! it was their choice!!!

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
You know, I'm not so sure I feel badly for the developers. It's not like they are forced to agree to the terms and conditions. This is an avenue of marketing for them. If they don't think it's worth it, then they don't have to participate. Badmouthing MacRumors and MacHeist for trying to get you a good deal doesn't really work for me.

If Micromat thought they were getting a crappy deal they wouldn't have done it. They've been around a long time and you're suggesting that they're dumb for making this deal. Not sure I agree. If each developer does get $5.00 per app and there's 10 applications and the bundle is $49.99, then it doesn't sound like MacHeist is making a heist. Of course the dirt is in the details, but no one but the developers and MacHeist knows what they are.

To me this is a form of marketing and marketing costs money.

I've just spoken to a Dev who is taking part. Last time they were offered a fix fee of $5000, this year it was slightly higher ie 6-7k. I could not get a proper figure due to NDAs.

When approached they are not allowed to negotiate and its fix fee or no fee.

NOTE: This is only information that has been passed to me and maybe not factually correct

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I've just spoken to a Dev who is taking part. Last time they were offered a fix fee of $5000, this year it was slightly higher ie 6-7k. I could not get a proper figure due to NDAs.

When approached they are not allowed to negotiate and its fix fee or no fee.

NOTE: This is only information that has been passed to me and maybe not factually correct
Everything is negotiable and you don't have to participate. Maybe you can't negotiate your fixed fee, but apparently Micromat negotiated on how many copies are sold before they grant a deal. 10,000 new customers is a nice bit of exposure, especially if a number of those upgrade when the new OS X comes out. As I said, it's marketing and you're not forced to do it.

All the companies have to weigh the positives and negatives. They wouldn't participate if they felt that they were getting a bad deal or it's not worth the exposure. Plus customers are getting a killer deal.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Even boxing promoters don't take a 90% cut of the profits while giving 1% to their clients.

This is even worse than what musicians get from the major labels.

This is a promotional tool. The difference between this and a strait up advertisement is that you're actually getting some money back while garnering a larger customer base. You're actually guaranteeing yourself a new customer base at a specified expense.

You're just bitter that MacHeist is making money off a marketing campaign that no ones is forced to participate in. That's silly.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
To repeat a sentiment that a few others have expressed, I'm having some trouble understanding why I should feel bad for the developers who have signed on for this. Perhaps they've made a bad business decision. Perhaps (and only perhaps), they could make more money if they didn't put their software into these bundles. But I don't generally live my life feeling bad for companies that make bad business decisions and refusing to give business to companies that make good ones.

For me, it comes down to whether the developers had complete information about the deal and were not misled or lied to. Is there any evidence of deception? If not, I don't see anything unethical here.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Well I can't argue the charity aspect, that's pretty despicable. If he made a promise to donate a specified amount then he should honor his offer. There may be legal implications there as well.

That's great that you know "all" the devs and all I can do is shake my head at them for signing up for a deal they feel they got burned on. I know how it feels to get burned, lesson learned.

I remember when I worked for a small technology ecommerce site that was a software reseller. We once offered to sell a small Windows application developers application. He was so excited a reseller was going to sell his product he offered us 50 free versions. I told him he was nuts and to keep his offer and just send us a couple so we could have them reviewed. I guess the point is everyone makes mistakes.

Needless to say, no one has to sign up for a deal like this.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Perhaps I shouldn't weigh in since I'm seen as part of the "man" in this scenario... but MacRumors participated in the first macheist promo as a promotional effort to provide MacRumors with additional exposure. This is just a continuation of that, and also a good deal on some Mac software.

This is a MacUpdate deal, not a MacHeist deal. MacHeist is just a promotional partner.

I think some of you are being a bit paternalistic about your approach to these developers... suggesting they can't take care of themselves. Especially with this promo, they presumably calculated that the increased exposure of their applications is worth whatever bottom line cost comes out to.

Advertising/promotion isn't free. The developers chose to go with a discount/sale model rather than spend $20,000 on advertising in Macworld magazine.

(note, I have no knowledge of the specific deals made for this promo; and I don't know anything about the charity accusations above)

arn

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
But I don't generally live my life feeling bad for companies that make bad business decisions and refusing to give business to companies that make good ones.

And thats why some people (most) buy music from the major labels, and others have stopped supporting them and started supporting the artists.

The difference here is that with music the music labels are also screwing the consumer. Its easier to stand by your morals when you are the one being hurt, when its just some other guy its pretty easy to just let the exploitation continue.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
To repeat a sentiment that a few others have expressed, I'm having some trouble understanding why I should feel bad for the developers who have signed on for this. Perhaps they've made a bad business decision. Perhaps (and only perhaps), they could make more money if they didn't put their software into these bundles. But I don't generally live my life feeling bad for companies that make bad business decisions and refusing to give business to companies that make good ones.

For me, it comes down to whether the developers had complete information about the deal and were not misled or lied to. Is there any evidence of deception? If not, I don't see anything unethical here.

I Quote:

"What’s in dispute is whether the money is being distributed equitably. Just because someone is satisfied with a bad deal doesn’t mean it isn’t a bad deal."

The "Indie Developers" are normally no more than a one man band. They are men and women that spends years of their lives making the great software you love so much. All these great apps on mac are made by people like this very few are from companies. Yes they maybe did make a bad decision but it should be up to you to do the right thing and but from them direct. Give them the proper price for their wares. Typically most of the bundle will be useless for most users so don't be greedy and spend an extra $10 and know you have paid well for your software and that the peep that made it is getting paid fairly for their time and expertise

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.