Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by MacWhispers
Instead of simply publishing that paragraph, untouched, I added my own "thinking" by guessing at the pixel resolution and the price. By doing that, I corrupted what should have been a truly nifty piece of detective work on my part... and moved MacWhispers from a Page 1 site back to a much-maligned Page 2 site.

Hmm... I'm not sure how you expected to get it right by "guessing" :)

I'm going back to doing what I am able to do with accuracy: recount fragments of information I pick up from the OEM/ODM supplier chain behind Apple's operations... and publishing it in bare form.

Maybe over the next few months I can get the MacWhispers batting average up to where it should have been all along.

I welcome it...

arn

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by Arn: Perhaps...

ChiMei does make a 15.4" Notebook screen (scroll to the bottom)

I have seen Chi Mei notebook LCD list; however, are you saying that it does or does not imply an Apple laptop???

With no other info, it is just a LCD panel on a price list... nothing more...

Jack, you have been forthcoming on the 20.1 inch panel ( but you can't divide - 1600/1024 = 1.56! ) what is the direct source of your info on the 15.4 inch laptop???

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by chazmox
I have seen Chi Mei notebook LCD list; however, are you saying that it does or does not imply an Apple laptop???

With no other info, it is just a LCD panel on a price list... nothing more...

Right... That's why I mentioned "I just can't tell if Compal gets their lcds from ChiMe"

If Compal did get their LCDs from ChiMei, then it would corroborate the Digitimes article... which claims Compal is putting together the 15.4" Powerbook.

arn

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
So what we have is...

A panel from Chi Mei electronics ( which of in itself tells us nothing )...

A questionable article from Digitimes...

And, and, nothing else???

I look at rumors as vectors, where the vectors intersect is where "truth" can be found. I see no intersection above...

If so the rumors of a 15.4 inch laptop are entirely smoke!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

I look at rumors as vectors, where the vectors intersect is where "truth" can be found. I see no intersection above...

you got it.

arn

MacWhispers

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003

It's very intoxicating smoke, at that. With Apple's two key panel suppliers both popping up with 15.4" notebook screens, just as a complete redeisgn of the PowerBook is expected, it is heady stuff. It was compelling enough to have me misinterpret what was, at best, skimpy information I had last month about a few manufacturing details, and "assume" the 15.4" Chi Mei panel was slated for the new mid-size Powerbook. I've since cleared my head, gone back through all the data, and have reached the same conclusion as you: it's smoke.

I haven't dug up a soul in the Chi Mei channel who will connect the shipping panels to the new Powerbook. And, nobody among my LG-Philips contacts will even hint that their panel is slated for a Powerbook. And, nobody else makes a widescreen 15.4-inch panel. Dead end.

When the lessened pixel count of either of these 15.4" panels is factored, and the (though slight) increase in size would slightly encroach on the 17-inch model's territory, it starts to seem irrational to think Apple would move away from the present 15.2" panel.

I agree, none of the vectors cross on this one.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I've since cleared my head, gone back through all the data, and have reached the same conclusion as you: it's smoke.

While the 15.4" screen may be smoke... a mid-range powerbook is in the works... through both reliable rumor and common-sense. As always... it's a question of when.

arn

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Jack,

You crossed the vectors on your site when you said the following:
"Chi Mei has been shipping the new LCD panel to Apple's Taiwan assembly plant for over two weeks."
This was on the MacWhispers' site on the January 21st post ( it is still in the archive ).

Is this just not true??? I mean it is one thing to speculate; however, it is another to fabricate out of whole cloth.

One thing I can gleam from your site is that your DO love Apple and it's products; however, if your publish stuff without any solid evidence backing it then you really do harm to the company. I know they are out about $2100 of my dollars as I cancelled a 12 inch PB order!

So, could you please let us know whether this statement is fact or not?

Thank you in advance!

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Arn,

I agree - it is only logical that Apple update it's pro line for consistency across the board in tech ( FW800, BT ), style ( Aluminum cases ), and cost ( again Aluminum ). Again when is the question - 6 days or 6 months???

However, I'm still interested in the answer to my question above...

G4D2

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2003
It's hardly surprising, given Apple's sometimes understandably conflictive relationship with rumor sites, that the iPod update was not going to be released today. I'm certain that Apple does not view it in its interest, rightly or wrongly, to give any rumor site the appearance of credibility. Apple may very well have been prepared to announce the iPod updates today but chose not to as a response to MacWhispers bold predictions. Then again, maybe the whole thing was hype in antincipation of an inevitable upgrade to a popular product. It was almost as if MacWhispers was challenging Apple to prove it wrong. Which Apple did. No company wants to have its product release schedule dictated by internet rumor sites.

estevan2737

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2002
Phoenix, Arizona
Why all the fuss?

Personally, I thought the format of MacWhispers was relatively clear. Each posting contained an initial tidbit of info or rumor followed by a section titled "Analysis" (i.e. speculation). Anyway...I like the "new" direction of just providing the info you are able to gather and will continue to draw my own conclusions based on what I read on the many rumor sites.

What I don't understand is all of the competitive rumor site nonsense? If you don't like the quality of info you are getting from a site, stop visiting it.

Anyway...the most interesting thing to me about the change at MW is the realization that the Letter to Apple has been pulled from the site (you can still get the google cache version) if you haven't seen it. Now that's mysterious. :)

Rumor sites, for me at least, are a fun distraction. I don't make purchasing decisions based on what I read here...I just use it to fuel my imagination... (Sure hope Apple Legal caused the Letter to Apple to come down due to it being to close to an actual product):D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by G4D2
Apple may very well have been prepared to announce the iPod updates today but chose not to as a response to MacWhispers bold predictions.

I think you give Rumor Sites too much credit.

Mac rumor sites have gotten things right in the past... to think that Apple makes last minute product release decisions on the rantings of a few thousand people is insanity.

How about this alternative view of this situation?

The date was simply the wrong date. Seems a simpler explanation that invoking a conspiracy theory.

arn

paulvir

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2003
Re: Why all the fuss?

Originally posted by estevan2737
Personally, I thought the format of MacWhispers was relatively clear. Each posting contained an initial tidbit of info or rumor followed by a section titled "Analysis" (i.e. speculation).

This is the crux of the discussion here... the speculation was not limited to the "Analysis". (see above posts)

michaelyoung

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2002
Originally posted by arn
I think you give Rumor Sites too much credit.

Mac rumor sites have gotten things right in the past...
arn

I agree. Although in this (rumor) world we have a good idea of what to expect most people have none. It wouldn't harm Apple in any way if a struggling rumor site correctly predicted a release date a couple of weeks out.

Also, my hat is off to MacWhispers for coming here and fielding comments and criticism. Good for you man. Good luck.

MacWhispers

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
So, could you please let us know whether this statement is fact or not?

Thank you in advance!

That statement came from a Chi Mei channel employee who is knowledgeable of the company's logistics, the same man who confirmed the Apple-exclusive deal to me on the 20.1" panel over week prior to the world finding out about it. I had/have little choice but to accept it as true.

That said, if it's true that Chi Mei is/has been shipping 15.4-inch LCD panels to "an Apple assembly plant" in Taiwan, it raises two questions... neither of which I have been able to get answered:

1. Since this does not state the panel is for the new Powerbook, the question opens, "What Apple product is this panel being used for?"

and...

2. Since this does not state that the panel is for an Apple product at all... only inferring same... then, "Is this for an Apple product, since all plants used by Apple for assembly in Taiwan are alos used by many other computer makers for their assembly.

Obviously, my first reaction to the cryptic statements made to me was to assume there was an Apple Powerbook on the other end. Now, after havign decided that my speculation skills are not anywhere as good as my basic industry contacts and sources, I am critically challenging my current and past thinking.

So...

Fact: A competent, proven source told me that the Chi Mei 15.4-inch panels began shipping to an "Apple assembly plant" in Taiwan about three weeks or so ago.

All else is speculation.

If I could find out WHICH "Apple assembly plant" then it would go a ways toward clearing the smoke from this one. So, that's my goal now... to gently pry that one tidbit from my Chi Mei contact. The one subtle attempt I have already made led me to believe he doesn't know off hand. If so, this will remain a mystery.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I hope MacWhispers continues in some form, because as we all know, we cannot have enough voices and support for the Apple community. I think they tried something creative, it didn't work, and they were straight forward and honest about it. Let's be the great Mac community we are and support them in their failure.

I did think from the start, however, that the whole approach of sourcing from Apple's suppliers was fatally flawed, so it was interesting to me to watch it play out.

Here's why: Apple must have draconian aggreements with their vendors around confidentiality. And to the vendors, there is no way it would be worth it to leak information and risk the Apple contract.

Further, even if MacWhispers approach worked, it would only work once. Apple would read the same rumors we do--which included the manufacturing source--and cancel the agreement with the vendor and sue, as we know Apple to do. They would do this for no other reason than to send a message to their entire supply chain that these agreements will be enforced with the full force of the Apple legal team.

And therein lies the first flaw. The second, as stated in earlier posts is Apple keeps people, including Apple employees, on a need-to-know basis. You may get a tiny slice of info, but it will never be enough to guess the whole picture unless you get lucky.

Data point: At Jan's MacWorld, I was talking to an Apple engineer who worked on the 12" PB. I asked him how Apple kept this a secret and things so quiet in general, and he laughed and said that no one on his team knew about the 17 inch PowerBook. They were just as surprised as we were. He said the executives and people in marketing usually have the entire story, and that's it.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar

1. Since this does not state the panel is for the new Powerbook, the question opens, "What Apple product is this panel being used for?"

Well, the current 15" iMac is clearly EOLed. That's where my money would be. 15.4" PB would make sense too., but could just as likely remain 15.2" Any info about supply from whomever makes the 15.2"?

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
First off, Jack, thanks for clarifying that point. That takes quite a bit of courage to continue here.

I guess the data point was fundamentally correct; however, the implication ( which is as much the readers fault ) was that the panel was used by Apple which is not necessarily true.

Originally posted by G4D2
Apple may very well have been prepared to announce the iPod updates today but chose not to as a response to MacWhispers bold predictions.

Sorry, but this is pretty ludicrous. A company decides on product release based on engineering and business reasons alone - or they are not in business long. It could cost Apple $100,000's of dollars a day to hold off release of a product.

I also do not agree that the idea around the site is fundamentally flawed. The idea of tracking suppliers movements, especially Asian assembly plants seems very logical. Also, Apple has much less control over what these people do than their own employees. A lawsuit overseas would be difficult and once a relationship is entered, it may be very difficult to exit due to contractual and second supplier issues. Now if this info could be combined with a known source in Apple...

Originally posted by Bwhaler
Data point: At Jan's MacWorld, I was talking to an Apple engineer who worked on the 12" PB. I asked him how Apple kept this a secret and things so quiet in general, and he laughed and said that no one on his team knew about the 17 inch PowerBook. They were just as surprised as we were. He said the executives and people in marketing usually have the entire story, and that's it.

I actually doubt that this was entirely true (unless his team was electrical only). There had to be cross pollination between the mechanical design of the 12 inch and 17 inch. There are just too many identical features ( the hinge, the feet, the keyboard, the airport antenna covers, etc. ) for that to be coincidence.

And finally...

Originally posted by estevan2737:
(Sure hope Apple Legal caused the Letter to Apple to come down due to it being to close to an actual product)

I really doubt this was Apple. I doubt Apple could care about a random speculation and even if they did could they legally do anything about it? No! Most likely, DVForge did not agree to being represented by this letter and asked Jack to take it down.

Sorry for the long post - had alot to respond to...

G4D2

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2003
I don't believe that Apple would base their product release schedule on a vague rumor, as most rumors on these sites have been. Speculating that the next iMac will include Bluetooth or a faster processor or 3D LCD (I wish!) will not compel Apple to withhold that particular feature out of spite. However, when someone states that Apple will definitively be releasing a new product on a particular date and when this information is picked up at the national news level then it wouldn't be surprising for Apple to take note and react accordingly.

Apple, moreso then most tech and computer companies, is compelled to control the type of infomation that is being released about its products, especially given the nature of its product cycles and the methods that products are warehoused and delivered. Apple has a devoted user base that may very well decide to hold off purchasing what is in the current supply chain because of what they read on a rumor site, even if it is a product on the low end like the iPod. Unlike most other computer users, Mac users want to be on the cutting edge. If a rumor site begins to make concrete predictions about Apple releases and upgrades then it is certainly in Apple's best economic interests to cast doubt on the validity of those claims. In the long run, this makes economic sense for Apple and delaying the shipment of its lowest end product to accomplish this goal would not be unreasonable. If this rumor had been about a high end G4, a new Powerbook, or iMac, I wouldn't make this suggestion.

If a customer is on the market for a 5gb iPod and is willing to spend $300 on it but reads in the Wall Street Journal that within a week or two Apple will be releasing an upgraded version of it with twice the memory capacity and perhaps some additional features would that customer go ahead and make the original purchase? I know it would bug the hell out of me if I did that, especially if I knew the exact date the new iPod was coming out on.

Of course, very few people know exactly what happened in this case. But given Apple's vested interest in maintaining secrecy over it's product development and release schedule it would not be surprising.

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
MacWhispers EOL'd?? Once and for all?

I've had my Mac Sites Tabs set up in Safari (b2v73) so I could "Open in Tabs" and get them all ready to quickly glance at. I've put Apple and MacRumors in the 1st two spots (of course!) but farther down the line was MacWhispers (entertainment value).

For the last couple of days, the MacWhispers site is FLAT OUT GONE. Rather annoying that Safari jumps you straight to the Tab that has a PROBLEM first. Anyway, other than a recommendation to Apple for Safari (which I turned in to Apple as well), I guess this is the end of the road for MacWhispers.

R.I.P.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.