MacWorld 2006 Predictions

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 14, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

joecool85

W00T! I'll buy an Intel Mac Mini so long as it has decent specs and the price doesn't change!

3. macrumors 601

mjstew33

Sweet. :D

It's totally ganna happen. When has the Wall Street Journal been wrong? Barely any. I might buy :D

4. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Nothing really new in the article. I thought the insight into school purchases being before April was interesting. But really nothing that hasn't been talked around MR's for weeks.

5. macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

Give me my Mac-based home media center!!! Nothing special, just a 200 GB hard drive and Tivo like functionality! That's all i ask! I REALLY want to get a DVR, but I dont liek the Comcast ones and I would rather not buy a Tivo if I can get one from Apple.

6. macrumors 68040

shamino

Our extensive checks in the supply chain are pointing to a very possible early introduction of Intel-based Macs before the June 2006 target date
    What target date?

The Jobs announcement said that models would ship some time in the first half of 2006. It's a leap of an editor's imagination to interpret this as "we will ship them on June 30".

7. macrumors 603

wordmunger

This is Forbes, not the WSJ. Forbes tends to be more speculative.

8. macrumors 603

solvs

I think it's pretty obvious. Updated shuffle, new iLife, possibly something new or upgraded like Airport/Airport Express or iSight. Probably something with the mini. I'm not getting my hopes up for an Intel Mac, but I might be pleasantly surprised (never thought I'd say that).

9. macrumors member

I was getting ready to buy a new Mac should I wait until MWSF?

10. macrumors 68040

shamino

The computer you buy today won't become obsolete after MWSF. Whatever the new models are, a system bought today will be useful and will remain useful for many years.

It all comes down to how long you want to wait.

I typically tell people to wait if it's less than a month before a major event where product announcements are likely. But it's several months before MWSF. And if the last few years mean anything, several of the new Macs may not be announced until a few weeks after MWSF.

As for the new Intel models, I wouldn't recommend being an early adopter. Even if everything works perfectly, your apps will take a performance hit until you can upgrade them to Intel/Universal binaries. I'd wait for key applications (for me, this is MS Office and Photoshop Elements) to be upgraded to x86 before purchasing Intel hardware.

11. macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

I'm definitely not expecting an Intel mini at Mac World. Seems a bit too soon to me, and I'm kind of thinking that they'll make intel notebooks first. But who knows, maybe...

12. macrumors 604

Lacero

iLife will need to be ported to universal binary before they can ship any consumer intel mac. I just don't see it happening with emulated software until third party developers get on the bandwagon. Six months is long enough right?

13. macrumors 6502

Intel MacMini..................I dont think so. The Mac Mini is silently being upgradded RIGHT NOW. Most all shipping Mac Mini's have 1.5GHZ chips and 64Megs of Graphics RAM and a faster HD. Why would they upgrade them AGAIN in January when they havent even announced the current upgrade. Doesn't make sense to me. Intel Based Powerbook makes more logical sense to me, as the current Powerbooks are pathetic to say the least.

14. macrumors 601

stoid

Steve showed back in June at the WWDC that the iLife suite was already a universal binary, and running native on an Intel Mac.

15. macrumors 604

Lacero

Didn't Steve just demo iPhoto? I read somewhere iTunes last week it was the latest app to get ported, shown running on intel OSX. I think the iMovie and iDVD remain the most challenging.

16. macrumors 68040

shamino

If the apps were developed according to Apple's own programming guidelines, they should be just as portable as all the rest. They should be using the Accelerate framework and CoreImage for all of the AltiVec interfacing.

If not, then shame on Apple for not following their own rules.

17. macrumors 68040

shamino

He demoed iPhoto. He said that all of Apple's application software was ported. But this doesn't necessarily mean all of them were completely tested and ready to ship.