Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld announced their Best of Show awards today for Macworld San Francisco 2008.

- Photoshop Elements 6 - Universal version of Adobe's consumer photo editor.
- MacBook Air - Apple's thin laptop
- Guitar Hero III - Aspyre's rhythm game for Mac.
- BusySync - share iCal calendars (MacRumors writeup)
- Eye Fi card - SD card with Wifi built in
- Flow - organize and track the relationships between files
- Dictate - $99 Dictation / voice command software from MacSpeech
- NEC Multisync LCD3090WQXi - 30 inch display
- Omnifocus - personal task management software (to do's)
- Parallels Server - virtualize Windows, Linux and Mac OS X Server
- Vector Designer - vector drawing tool

Other products we've covered:

- iLidz personal media viewer (aka hat + clips + lens + iPhone)
- sd200v Notebook Docking Station - Add a monitor to your Mac via USB
- Bobcat - Mac software for Garmin GPS intergration
- SubRosaSoft - Data protection and Data Recovery
- ProVideoPlayer/ProPresenter - grid-map video content across multiple displays attached to multiple computers
- GelaSkins - custom skins with original art for your iPod, iPhone, MacBook

Article Link

atticusbcr

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Im kind of disappointed with the Macbook air, i know its thin and it looks nice...but 1.6Ghz? thats so 3 years ago for the price of the laptop. i guess its understandable for the size of the thing but does it really need to be that thin? if i buy it i'll be afraid to just snap it in half. I had $2k saved up to buy a laptop for school (which already started) but now idk what to do. I was really expecting an upgrade to the MBP...but it didnt happen. I hope they upgrade the MBP soon, because to be honest i rather have a MBP thats 2 more pounds and .3 more inches than to have a thing that might be tiny but its really lacking a lot of things that makes a laptop great.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Hm, the Eye-Fi is pretty neat, but from the looks of it it's not a new product. I followed the link to their site, and from there to Amazon to check out availability and there's people with reviews talking about pre-Christmas use.

Anyways, I'd be curious to see someone figure out how to make this work with the iPhone/touch... I'd really love to be able to:

1) offload photos onto another drive while "in the field". 8/16gb isn't much, but if you knew you were going to need it you could keep a couple gigs free to empty your card on to and keep shooting (of course, for $100 you could just buy 8gb of SD storage). More importantly, though, is...

2) I'd LOVE to take photos and then look at them on the larger, higher res touch/iPhone screen and be able to pinch zoom, etc them to get a fast, really accurate in the field review. And...

3) for iPhone users at least, it would be nice to take high quality shots with the camera of your choice and then wirelessly email/post them to the web without being near a WiFi connection. This would be handy in a way for touch uses, as it would enable them to download and mail/post to a blog their photos without a laptop, but not as cool as with the iPhone.

On a related note, is there anyone making or working to make one of those adaptors for the touch/iPhone that are available for the regular iPods to download photos from your camera's memory card? It wouldn't integrate into your photo application or anything, but with MobileFinder you could at least look at them. I understand the issue is likely the lack of a disk mode on the touch/iPhone... but hadn't heard much about it.

mrmma

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Missouri
MacSpeech Dictate

Did anyone notice that the language support for Mac Speech Dictate includes "US Teen"? What the heck is this? I'm not _THAT_ old.

SciTeach

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
NEK
Bobcat looks pretty cool with the integration of Garmin GPS.

MacBookAir....wow.....didn't see THAT coming.:rolleyes:

Guitar Hero III was a no brainer.:cool:
--In a related note...Call of Duty 4 was announced too.:cool:

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
I voted negative on this because there are products that aren't even shipping that won awards. Shouldn't the product exist to qualify?

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Although the Macworld management is a bit confusing to me this year, no more North and South Halls pass thru, conference pass mailing, etc. In general, it's a good Macworld.

I really enjoy it.

There is also a 2008 Best of Show by iLounge.com

J

jmadlena

At first I thought that it was strange that the Eye-Fi card, which is pretty cool, would win 'Best of Show' when it isn't Leopard compatible. But then I saw the latest company news that they announced Leopard support at Macworld. That makes it a lot cooler to me now.

And I wouldn't mind getting Guitar Hero 3... I'm getting a little tired of playing emulated Super Nintendo games.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
what awards !?!?

This has been the worst macworld in a while ,,,, well, I guess Steve spoiled me too much.

Consider that for me the only thing worth noting out of it is the aTV2.

Oh well, that's fine.

On the other hand I am looking forward to seeing whether the new MB air thing is a real laptop (that is, whether or not it can rest on my laps w/o setting them on fire !!!!).

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

ridli

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
Did anyone notice that the language support for Mac Speech Dictate includes "US Teen"? What the heck is this? I'm not _THAT_ old.

I'm assuming it's a language devoid of punctuation and grammar.

D 5

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
WORST MACWORLD EVER!!!!!!

Can someone remember a more disappointing Macworld?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.