MacWorld Boston to Return?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jul 31, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The NY Post suggests that MacWorld Expo is considering a return to Boston:

Fed up with rising prices at the Javits Center, and enticed by a free offer for Boston's brand-spanking new convention center, IDG World Expo is considering moving its MacWorld trade show out of New York.

Boston was the site of the East Coast MacWorld for years until the move to New York back in 1998.

2. macrumors 68020

G4scott

Hmm... This could be good. A new convention center to introduce the new G5's... Or, they could have MWNY in San Antonio. They have a nice, new, large convention center :D

Besides, It'll be easier to convince my family to go to Boston next summer instead of NY :cool:

3. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

I have a ground breaking idea, Macworld... London.

4. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I've been praying to the Mac gods to have MW return to Boston. :D It would be great, since I could take off from work early and shoot into town and check out the expo. Or I could car pool with a few people from work and we could all go. With a free expo pass, it would really be free (not need to get a hotel room or such nonsense :D).

I hope this turns out to be true...

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I remember when they made the switch (ha!, funny, I'm laughing at myself) But I always thought of Boston as *the* MacWorld town - it will be great if they go back.

D

6. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

ROTFLMSaTAO!!!! Isn't Paris close enough to you guys??? I mean, hop across the channel and you are there. :p :D

7. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If it happens, I will treat a few of the demi-gods (from here) to steaks, via my gas grill... :D

It would also make a great geekfest... :D

8. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Do you know why they call it <cue french accent>Gay Paris</accent>? Just kidding to all you frogs out there, whoops there we go again!
    Well alpha, I'd rather jump on one train go over to Waterloo station (named after the battle field where we defeated the french) and get on the tube for a few stops rather than, going to Waterloo and get on a three hour train ride to Gard du Nord in Paris.

Edit: I was just kidding about the whole not liking France thing, I've been there many times I'd just rather have it on my doorstep, wouldn't we all? I'd host it at my house if i could. All hatemail to whatdidido@youhavetomuchfreetime.com

9. macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Some could say the same about NY
    ;)

I wish I could hop on a 3 hour train to get to a big Mac World
    :)

I suppose you will tell me to jump on a boat and go to Tokyo
    :)

10. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Lets see... in order... yes; ok; and, if you have the time/money to do it... go for it... BTW, I never said HOW to hop across the channel (plain's, trains, and automobiles :p).

I went to MWNY last year, and have no desire to go back to NYC. We drove down, which was a bit of a pain (and about a 5 hour drive). I am about 30 minutes from Boston (depending on traffic, and which route I take) so it's a hell of a lot easier to get to MWB then MWNY. :p

I also think that more people in New England would go if MW returned to Boston. Considering how Maineac's could come down, people from NH and VT as well...

11. macrumors regular

I am with you on this Alpha! :]

Just a short train ride to Boston...

This would rock!

12. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I live in NJ it is easier to go to NY then Boston! Although once when I was there I saw a really cool Bus with iMacs all over it, the colored ones, it said YUM, it wasn't just an ad the whole bus was covered in them. It was cool, but it would be a bummer if NY won't have Macworld anymore... Then I couldn't go... This disscussion will have many ups and downs...:(

13. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

MMMMMmmmmmmm......

Ssssstttttteeaaaakkkkk...... (drool) LOL!:D

14. macrumors 6502

I love my hometown of NYC (we can kick YOUR city's ASS) but I really do NOT like the Javits Center. Terrible ventilation, tons of wasted space, and just DAMN expensive.

Plus having it back in Boston would gimme an excuse to ride Amtrak's Acela. DEFINITELY a fun ride. w00t! (as long as it doesn't derail hehehe...)

15. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: MMMMMmmmmmmm......

I don't see you biatching any more about MW coming back to bean town.. :D

Just remember, you must be a demi-god in order to partake of the steak. :D The demi-god status must be in effect BEFORE the MacWorld (as well as during it). There will also be limited seating, so reserve your spot as soon as MWB is confirmed (and the advertising begins). :D

16. macrumors member

ok, all of u NON demi-gods can come have steak at my house!

17. macrumors member

well as long as...

Well as long as they dont move MacWorld San Francisco to LA, Seattle, Portland or...anywhere else really, I am fine. Although I can empatize with both parties on this one. I for one would hate it if MW moved from my town(NY, if I lived there), but i would love it if it moved into my town(Boston, if I lived there).

From a 3rd party point of view, and from someone who has never attended the East Coast MacWorld(but have attended the other 3), I would rather go to Boston for it then NY. NY doesnt need it, they have everything else. Boston though, well I think Boston and MacWorld fit together better.

just my two sheckels, take it or leave it.

18. macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Ok, I never got the w00t thing.... please explain

19. job
    macrumors 68040

job

He's kind of a n00b isn't he? :D

20. macrumors newbie

Big mistake!

We are supposed to be going forward NOT BACKWARD!
    New York is the biggest stage in the world why would you want to play to a smaller room!

21. macrumors member

hum... not GAY PARIS but GAI PARIS...

that's refere to " funny Paris " at the " Belle Epoque " at the end of the 19th century.

;)

and it's not so far from London... but reverse is true of course...

it's maybe more simple for all the european consumers with the "euro" yet.

still loving London " évidemment ".

z-)

22. macrumors regular

YAY !

w000000t !!! I want Macworld to come back to Boston BAAAAD.. I could actually GO.

23. macrumors member

convention center

the convention center won't be ready until 2004, so you have at least one more year in the Big Apple. we can't beat the damn yankees on the field, so perhaps we can take the Big Show. :|

24. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: convention center

**** the yankees, and the sox too... :eek: :eek:

When it is completed, I really do hope that MWB becomes a reality once again. Just think, you could go from MWB up to Maine for some über fresh lobster in about an hour (depending on traffic). :D Hell, you could just walk to a Legal Seafood and get it there if you don't feel like treking into the land of Mainiacs. :D

25. macrumors regular

As it should be!

TL