MacWorld Expo: Impressions?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Seasought, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Has anyone who has gone to the MacWorld Expo have any impressions they wouldn't mind sharing here? I watched Steve Jobs keynote presentation from last year and based on the description sounds like quite a blast.

I figure with the next one around the corner it might be interesting to read other people's impressions of past ones.

2. James L macrumors 6502a

Macworlds are a lot of fun... last year was kinda boring though. It was the smallest exhibition floor I have seen in a long time. Having said that, it all depends on what level of ticket you purchase. Read more here for the types of passes you can get:

http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/

Anyway, last year I went on the exhibitor's pass, which means that I didn't have access to actually being in the keynote. No big deal I thought, as there is often a feed into the M$ booth that you can watch it on. Well, not last year. So, I was on the show floor during the keynote, with no ability to watch it. For people who just get the free show floor passes, they are just lined up outside with no keynote info either (you aren't allowed in until the keynote is over and all the black cloth comes off the apple booth). I ended up watching one of the feeds on the internet (it might have even been this site).

Now, as to the convention floor. Picture one large stadium floor (it used to be 2, or more a long time ago). On one end is a large stage where various shows and lessons go on. There are tons of booths (some tiny kiosks, some huge like adobe's and M$ where they put on free lessons), Apple's booth center of course, and then a large gaming area on the other side (G5's with 30" monitors!!!).

So, if you are just there on the show floor pass than you can do the free lessons (FCP, PS, etc), talk to the vendors, look at Apple's latest toys (which last year was really just the iShuffle and the mini), etc.

It is when you have a good package, which costs $$$, that you get a much better experience. Here is package info:

http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/register///CC471311

Now, even more important than the Moscone center show in my opinion is the wonderful city of San Francisco. We drive down from Vancouver, BC, Canada (15 hour pull), and stay at 5th and Market a block from the Apple store. We usually do 2 full, or 3 partial, days at the show. We ride the trolley car to the wharf and go to Alcatraz, we eat like fiends, we drive down to cupertino and go to the Apple corporate store where you can by branded logo clothing and other such toys, go see the Winchester mansion, etc. I am into photography, and SF rocks for that. The view from the Twin Peaks is amazing at night.

If you go on the free pass, think of it as a 5 day trip... a couple of days to do the free stuff at Moscone, and a few days to tour SF. If you buy one of the good packages you can spend a lot more time at the show.

Cheers,

James

p.s. If you go, it is either San Francisco, or the city. DO NOT call it San Fran or the locals will hang you!

:)

3. Seasought thread starter macrumors 65816

Seasought

Sounds fun. Most conventions always permit some sort of opportunity to talk with company contacts and such exchange business cards and resumes; is MacWorld no different? Is there ample opportunity to speak with recruitors (or at least reps that might actually be head hunting on the side)?

Did you take any lessons/classes? How were those?

4. James L macrumors 6502a

The free ones are ok. As an example, you can do a 30-60 minute lesson in FCP (I can't remember how long it was last time). You sign up, and they have rows of powerbooks, with the teach at the front and her screen on a projector. The PB's all have the work files on them, and as the teacher goes through the file and makes changes you do the same.

The paid ones are a lot of fun too. Plus, if you have never been to an Apple store there are always 1 and 2 hour lessons going on in the theater and you can play with those.

Mind you, if you are already pretty skilled then you won't get a lot out of them.

For me it is all about the vibe. I love 3 cities... my hometown of Vancouver (nothing compares), SF, and NYC. SF is my second favourite place in the world, and I love just hanging out there. Hanging out with a few thousand Mac heads is icing on the cake.

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I've been toying with the idea of going to this coming year's 2006 MacWorld Expo in San Francisco....since I'm on the East Coast it would be a bit of a lengthy and expensive trip, especially as I'd want to do some touristy things around SF and of course go to the Mothership in Cupertino, too. I'm glad to see this thread here, as I'd been going to start one. Any and all info about what it was like attending earlier MacWorld events would be greatly appreciated!

OTB

6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

You should avoid saying "Frisco" as well. :D

Anyway, Other World Computing is offering free exhibit hall passes to MWSF: http://eshop.macsales.com/Macworld/owc_mw06_pass.pdf

I've used their free pass to go to MWSF the past 2 years. No problems whatsoever. If I remember correctly, you can use the priority code on the pass to register in advance, or print the pass and bring it with you to register on-site on the day you attend. It's a $45 value. (Be sure to stop by the OWC booth while you're at the show... they usually have some really good deals.)

7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Glad this was mentioned since it also seems to be a hanging offense.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Really? Others I know (myself included) call it 'frisco...

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

'Frisco is a popular nickname for SF, but I can't say that I've ever heard it used by someone who actually lives in the city. It will immediately identify you as an out-of-towner.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Three of my relatives lived there for over two years each (they're all pretty cool; late 20s and early 30s) and they call it 'frisco or the City.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.