Macworld/iWorld 2013: The BowBlade is an Archery Accessory for the iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    At Macworld/iWorld this afternoon, one company was demonstrating an archery-based iPhone accessory, the BowBlade, which was inspired by movies like The Hunger Games.

The BowBlade is designed to look and feel like a traditional bow and arrow with one caveat - there's an iPhone attached. The iPhone goes at the front of the device, the bow is extended, and a trigger at the back fires a shot. When the trigger is fired, a stylus tip touches the screen.

BowBlade works with 35 different apps, including titles like Star Battalion, Final Space, Real Shooter, and Nerf Blaster Challenge.

Various games incorporate extra features like the iPhone's camera and augmented reality to create real world targets, or the iPhone's gyroscope and accelerometer for aiming and firing. Our sister site TouchArcade has a video of the BowBlade in action:

The four pound version of the BowBlade being demonstrated at Macworld was a prototype, but the company has pre-orders available for $185. Shipping will begin in April.

Article Link: Macworld/iWorld 2013: The BowBlade is an Archery Accessory for the iPhone

2. macrumors 604

Maybe I'm not getting it right... But since this is to be used as a bow n' arrow accessory for games, wouldn't the iPhone's screen be far too small to see anything on it when you're using the bow and arrow?

3. macrumors 65816

Looks cool. I was thinking to myself I would buy it as a toy..

then I saw 185... I would have bought it for 50$

4. nagromme, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

macrumors G5

nagromme

"The BowBlade is designed to look and feel like a traditional bow and arrow"

It seems to achieve neither... but oh well, at least it's fun to see entrepreneurs get creative!

(The idea of playing sci-fi Star Battalion on a little screen stuck on the tip of a simulated stone-age bow is surreal. So is the release mechanism.... looks like you don't actually let go of the string, but do something with the hand next to the phone. And the action is not via Bluetooth if there's that little "stylus" that mechanically touches the screen! This is some mad science here. I don't see the "blade" part yet, but nothing would surprise me!)

5. macrumors 6502a

turtlez

lol can't wait to beat my scores! :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 6502a

+10000000

Interesting idea, but terrible execution. This was not thought out properly at all.

7. macrumors regular

How...stupid.

8. macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Didn't look like he ever released the string. WTF? It's been a long time since I shot an arrow out of a real bow, but I remember that being able to release and fire was a pretty crucial step in the process.

Still, maybe I'm missing something about how it works. I could see how it could be fun. Especially if the augmented reality mode could become some kind of laser-tag type game.

----------

Better video that shows it in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yxw7lyVAGdg#!

9. macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Just make sure you don't insert an arrow on it unless you want a big O on your iPhone screen :p

10. Ppq
    macrumors newbie

oh my god

firing gun / throwing snowballs with bow simulator. priceless

11. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

But hard to miss from that "distance" :rolleyes:

Wonder how much force it require; looks like 2 pound

12. macrumors 65816

Firing a stylus at my phone. What could possible go wrong. Remember Wii Remote vs. Plasma screens :)

13. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

Jeez, it's like somebody superglued my palm to my face. I could barely see the video from between my fingers. Typing is harder too.

14. macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

185US$ for THAT? Not even for overpriced medical use.

Someone should give him 20$ for the idea and slap another 20$ in his face for not hiring engineers and people who actually do archery to do the prototyping.

15. macrumors 68000

Oohara

Not buying it until it actually flings my iPhone at the target.

16. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

He doesn't seem to be letting it go? (like an arrow)

17. macrumors 6502a

skippymac

To be fair, whilst reading this I was thinking "great another pointless $500+ accessory". Looks like it only half lived up to my expectations!

18. macrumors 6502

The invention of an insane gnomish tinkerer...

19. macrumors Core

Dagless

Bowblade? That sounds like a real weapon. A very dangerous weapon. Like a knifegun, or a bombfork.

20. macrumors newbie

No. The iPhone screen is actually smaller then an archery sight, that you'd add to a bow:

http://www.amazon.com/Trophy-Ridge-...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1359724696&sr=1-7

But, she's not holding that bow right, her extended arm is locked, not good.
    Shock, model not a real archer!

----------

Yes, how much pull weight is needed?
    50-80 pounds, like a real hunting bow?

21. macrumors 68020

kazmac

agreed

As much as I'd like take up archery again, that's way too much money for a toy.

22. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Meh... looks cool now, but will waste storage space, next to those Guitar Hero and Rock Band instruments...

23. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

It looks like you just need to pull back and then it shoots without letting go. That isn't how it works.

24. macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

Katniss would have died at the Cornucopia if she learned to shoot on this...:D

25. macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

For $185, go buy yourself a real bow and arrow, some bales of hay and go out and learn how to really shoot a bow and arrow. You know, like learning a skill in the outdoors. Amazing what crap people think will sell.