Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Prepare to be Disappointed

There has been -zero- promo on MWNY. The G4 rebates were extended for another month almost, not a good sign. MacWorld Expo is a consumer showcase so a new G4/DDR or G5 would not exactly fit in with the theme of the overally expo.

What *could* we expect? Xserve is just now shipping, plus its not a consumer home product (except maybe SOHO). Mac OS X 10.2 isn't done so it will be a show and tell with maybe a ship date (and cost). Big whoop we all knew that already.

iBooks were just updated, the eMac was just released to consumers. The iMac LCD is dead in the water thanks to the eMac (Apple opened eMac up to non-edu because it absolutely killed LCD iMac sales). The eMac *could* get an update/expansion of some specs, that would make the most sense. Apple really screwed up there.

This whole 17" LCD iMac sounds hokey. I haven't hefted an LCD iMac but I bet its weight would not quite offset a 17" LCD held out in space on an arm that seems to be engineered just strong enough to support the current display. Just my opinion.

The 17" iMac may have been a deliberate leak to test the media or to distract from the utter lack of anything new hardware-wise at this expo beyond spec changes.

Its a real bummer, but that's what its looking like. A dog and pony progress report expo keynote with little if anything "new" on the hardware end.

SubFredZero

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2001
Re: Prepare to be Disappointed

Originally posted by Sayer
The iMac LCD is dead in the water thanks to the eMac (Apple opened eMac up to non-edu because it absolutely killed LCD iMac sales). The eMac *could* get an update/expansion of some specs, that would make the most sense. Apple really screwed up there.

I exectually think the same thing... But if they would update the emac with a superdrive, 800 mhz, the imac would be even deather (hmm... could it go that low ?).

Then when apple would introduce the imac 17" LCD. it would be to pricy... nobody could affort it, and it just aint worth... i think the CRT monitors are good enough, we don't realy need LCD, it just luxuary... The emac is as beatyfull as the imac.
When i saw them both in real life, the emac is a lot more beautifull, the foot of the imac is way bigger in real life. At the apple website you can't realy see it but it realy huge... (This is where the 17" would be good, the big foot wouldn't look big anymore :))

Well, i think :

- No powermacs :(
- No imac 17" but new spect to creat bigger gap with the emac
- Introducing Jaguar with a presentation...
- New ipod : this could be software updates or a 20Gb. i hope both...
- The books are just updated... no new ibooks or powerbooks

mattador

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2002
Digital wallet

What aubout this: Let´s assume for the moment the rumors about no PowerMacs at MWNY are true and there is a special event announcing them in August. It wouldn´t make any sense having a special event in August just to tell the people the machines are available in September or so, they will be available right away. But if they are really available in Mid-August why does Steve not announce them on MWNY? Four weeks delay - we had more than that before. The only reason for this move I can think of is that there is somthing else, something more important to announce - at least on a consumer show. But what?

Now let´s assume the rumors about an iDevice with 20 GB are true as well. 20 GB on an iPod makes more than 4000 songs, sorry folks but only a few of us have that many "CD´s". Too much for a pure iPod. There had been pictures of a mysterious commercial featuring Phil Schiller, a side shot of an unknown device, flatter than the current iPod and with USB and Firewire-connectors and a blurred screenshot of iPhoto here on Macumors. They vanished after a couple of hours without any trace or even a comment from Macrumors - that´s not there style. So let´s make a third assumption that this commercial was a real one and Apple threatened the sh.. out of Macrumors so they deleted any trace of it.

So we have a new iDevice with 20 GB, connecting to USB, Firewire, syncing with iPhoto and big enough to postpone a PowerMac-annoncement. My guess is this: It´s a digital wallet. Yes, these things already exist, but so did a MP3-Player. Apple might introduce a digital wallet done right. Connecting to your digital camera, to a Mac and a PC, to iTunes and who knows maybe to Entourage. Stores data, pics and music. Has a little color-display to show the pics of your kids to your colleagues and maybe a touchscreen for taking notes via Inkwell (not too likely in my opinion). Not a PDA but a digital device lots of us can use: Listen to thousands of songs, storing hundreds of holiday pictures, carry data from Mac to PC, boot a foreign Mac on your very own system, and, and, and... Think (different) about it an tell me your opinion.

boobers

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
Re: Digital wallet

Originally posted by mattador
. There had been pictures of a mysterious commercial featuring Phil Schiller, a side shot of an unknown device, flatter than the current iPod and with USB and Firewire-connectors and a blurred screenshot of iPhoto here on Macumors. They vanished after a couple of hours without any trace or even a comment from Macrumors - that´s not there style. So let´s make a third assumption that this commercial was a real one and Apple threatened the sh.. out of Macrumors so they deleted any trace of it.

That guy admitted on that forum that it was a fake. Arn killed that thread as any good admin would do.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: hmm...

Originally posted by DannyZR2
I wonder if anyone's thought of this??::::

Since now we have eMac, iMac and PowerMac... what if the iBook became a mid-line in the consumer portables as the iMac has become the mid-line in the desktop arena. This would give way to a nice new product to take in underneath the iBook that would allow the iBook to go G4 and satisfy all of the people wanting a MORE portable computer than even the 12'1 iBook. I won't try to guess of what it would be, but I could see it.

eMac iMac PowerMac
eBook? iBook TiBook

or maybe just have a 12.1 iBook with a G3 and a 14" G4 iBook as the midline... that would satisfy the g4 ibook dreamers as well as the comment of "the g3 has plenty of life" and make the 12.1 g3 a super portable for battery life...........

BUT it would be sweet to see a new product fill the void under the iBook that had a decent 600+ G3 and decent size display.. perhaps with inkwell.. (I won't call it a Pxx) since I'll get bashed, but you know where I'm going with this.. btw.. I'd buy one....

Why does everyone think larger screen == better portable? I was more than happy to give up the extra power of a TiPB so I could get the smaller screened, (IMHO) more portable 12.1" iBook. If/when Apple moves the iBook line to the G4 then I will upgrade but only if this future iBook's overall dimensions do not get any larger. I left the Mac portable world for a number of years largely because the size and weight of all the previous G3 based Powerbooks hampered their portability (that and you couldn't do any serious Java development on the Mac prior to OS X). I'll go back to running Linux on a Dell or IBM laptop if I have to but I won't like it.

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
what if PVR=iPod?

Hey there. I just had an idea that's just simple enough to actually be feasible.

Personally, while I would like to see an Apple PDA, I just don't think Apple has had the necessary engineering time to strip down OS X yet, and I doubt they would release a handheld running someone else's OS.

But, since some people have been musing about a PVR software/hardware combo, let me throw my idea into the mix. Imagine these announcements from Apple:

(1) An all-new FireWire-based video input device, priced really cheaply. Hook it up to your Mac, and your TV's signal is displayed on the screen. Nothing revolutionary.

(2) Apple announces an all-new iApp that can capture a video stream to MP4 in real time. Just fire it up with the new TV tuner, and it works automatically! Forget your VCR; you can just record shows you miss into MP4 and watch them through QuickTime.

(3) Surprise! The all-new 20 GB iPod has a color screen and MP4 decoding capability. So, record any video into MP4 and you can watch it when you're stuck on the subway in ruch hour. Miss last night's ER? No problem.

The more I think about that, the more I think it could be a really simple killer app, and I can't think of anything similar to it.

But, repositioning the iPod as a music *and* video player would be tremendous, and pave the way for it to become a PDA in the future.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Re: Prepare to be Disappointed

Originally posted by Sayer

This whole 17" LCD iMac sounds hokey. I haven't hefted an LCD iMac but I bet its weight would not quite offset a 17" LCD held out in space on an arm that seems to be engineered just strong enough to support the current display. Just my opinion.

This has debated ad nauseum when this rumor first surfaced months ago, and the general consensus from people who HAVE firsthand experience with the imac is that it is not only possible to get a 17" LCD on it but would be fairly easy and openly welcomed if the price weren't unreasonable.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
I just can't help but wonder if the rumors from many months ago of Apple looking into developing a tablet style computer that could go on a bracket of sorts to double as a desktop are this rumored new iMac. It would make more sense in fitting into Apple's lineup. Unless Apple has good market research to support their decision I just don't see how a 17" lcd iMac would be a good seller unless the price drops dramatically. Somehow I just don't see that happening.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Without a big price jump the 17" imac would be lot more desirable than a 15" imac so why wouldn't sales go up too? At the same price as the 15" it would be hot and convince any fence sitters that it's a worthy machine. A price drop? doubtful since this is Apple we're talking about, but they should then fly off the shelves if that happens.

chia_zadora

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2002
Mpls MN USA
The whole MWNY really cheeses me off-

I work in education. Our fiscal year starts in July. Classes start at the end of August. We have a crappy budget. Every year my boss and I have to decide if we want to gamble on what is going to be released at the expo as far as the PM line goes, and if we do wait there is the risk of the computers not arriving in time for the start of fall semester. This year, because of the good promotions and all the rumormongering about no new PMacs until August we stuck with buying machines that aren't all that much faster than what we bought last year.

The point of my rant? Hold the freakin' expo in May or June so education institutions have time to budget and order newer machines!!!!

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by SPG
Without a big price jump the 17" imac would be lot more desirable than a 15" imac so why wouldn't sales go up too? At the same price as the 15" it would be hot and convince any fence sitters that it's a worthy machine. A price drop? doubtful since this is Apple we're talking about, but they should then fly off the shelves if that happens.

Unless they figured out how to cost reduce the current iMac system, I don't see them releasing a 17" model for the same price as the 15" is currently. There's been too big of a shortage and prices are not cheap for those lcd's. I'm not saying it's impossible but that it's not likely.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by chia_zadora

I work in education. Our fiscal year starts in July. Classes start at the end of August. We have a crappy budget. Every year my boss and I have to decide if we want to gamble on what is going to be released at the expo as far as the PM line goes, and if we do wait there is the risk of the computers not arriving in time for the start of fall semester. This year, because of the good promotions and all the rumormongering about no new PMacs until August we stuck with buying machines that aren't all that much faster than what we bought last year.

The point of my rant? Hold the freakin' expo in May or June so education institutions have time to budget and order newer machines!!!!

I can understand your pain having supported Macs in a campus environment. Look at the bright side though that you get to use proven technology where most bugs or qwirks have been worked out already if you keep up on things online. Having the latest is not always the best thing from a support standpoint if you're on a crappy budget(for enough support people) like we were as well.

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
imac

about all it's gonna take to make me buy a new g4 imac is a video card upgrade and faster bus, 133 if not ddr. (most likely 133)

need an ati 8500 or gf4mx with upgrade for ti.. but i doubt it'll happen unfortunately.. that's the thing with the "consumer" line... it's just never good enough all around, and you can't UPGRADE it!!!! grr....

:(

I don't want to have to buy a PM, but it sucks to not be able to upgrade graphics cards in the thing...

even the CUBE can be upgraded more than the iMacs.. old or new..

you can get 1ghz and GF3's in those puppies! and those are supposedly "unupgradeable".. hah!

now all i'd need for a cube is a slot loading DVD-R "A05?"

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Wow, I go off for a couple of days and everybody gets really bent out of shape. Relax, and think positive. All of this talk of negative looking signs can be interpreted as positive signs as well. Personaly, I don't know what to think about the expo. What I do think, is that Apple is in a media freeze out, as a result of Time Canada and Jobs' control issues. I think thqat several media sources are lashing out in response to that, among them some very loyal rumor sites. I think that Microsoft is trying to put pressure to overshadow the expo, which may be a result of something good comming, I promise the M$ intelligence is about fifty steps ahead of us.

I do get the felling something is happening, and I think taht some poeple are speaking, at length, before they think and look at the facts. I could be totaly wrong though, I don't know, and that's exactly what apple wants.

moJoMR

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by chia_zadora

If they're not much better why buy them? What's wrong with the ones you have now? At my school we're still stuck using Apple IIe's in one lab and brand spankin new Dell's that are even less reliable than the IIe's!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I'm back, been on holiday without a computer for 3 weeks!! Sounds a low key event to me!

wilhelmd

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2002
What about Jaguar?

Steve may introduce some new features to Jaugar ... or demo the alredy-existing features! I have seen screenshots, and I have read reviews, but I have never actually seen Jaguar in action.

For example, I would love to se Rendezvous (was that correctly spelled?) in action, along with iChat. And Sherlock, with Yellow Pages and the map-function.

The other iApps may also recieve a big update... Or what about an "Internet Connection Sharing"-thingy for MacOS X? Or the AirPort Software Base Station? Or apps like iCast (iBroadcast?) for both audio and video? Or what about IPv6?

But I don't think there will be a G5 xServe ... I think the xServe is to young for an upgrade ... yet.

Just my pensieve...

ultranoia

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by Cappy
I just can't help but wonder if the rumors from many months ago of Apple looking into developing a tablet style computer that could go on a bracket of sorts to double as a desktop are this rumored new iMac. It would make more sense in fitting into Apple's lineup. Unless Apple has good market research to support their decision I just don't see how a 17" lcd iMac would be a good seller unless the price drops dramatically. Somehow I just don't see that happening.

Interesting. A tablet-style computer, without a keyboard, in the same dimensions as one side of the ibook clamshell... Using Jaguar's Ink feature and a Wacom-style stylus, users could write, draw and navigate directly on the lcd screen. Call it the iTablet or the iFrame or iSlate, or something.

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
I still hope for new PowerMacs.

Maybe the display-powermac promo is just for the displays. It's about time for some models to have a new design. That might mean that they are clearing out all the displays and introduce new powermacs wednesday and new displays mid august. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.