Macworld NY 2002 Round-Up

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by blakespot, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Administrator

blakespot

Well, MWNY 2002 has drawn to a close. We saw a good number of offerings from Apple. In short:
    <ul>
    <li> New 17" iMac w/ GeForce 4MX and 17" cinematic screen (1440x900)
    <li> 10GB iPod gets solid state wheel, 10% thinner, tethered remote, case, new firmware
    <li> New 20GB iPod with same as above
    <lI> iPod prices: 5GB = $290, 10GB = $399, 20GB = $499. "Extras" (remote, etc.) can be purchased for all iPods for $39
    <li> New apps: iSync (phone sync), iCal, iTunes 3, Sherlock 3, enhanced Mail and Address Book
    <lI> OS X 10.2 Jaguar ships August 24 (early) for $129
    </ul>
    See our play-by-play of the expo for detailed info.
    As suspected, no new PowerMacs. That are rumored to be released in August. Keeping in mind the fact that Apple cannot work miracles every six months, we think this was a pretty good show. The iMac becomes far more appealing and we've got lots of new apps to play with. Check Apple's site.

2. macrumors member

wow

wow this is all great!!! WTG apple

but alas, no new powermacs :(

3. macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I think the crowd attending the show were very disappointed.

4. macrumors 6502a

drastik

well crap, I can't find anything on the new iApps on the site, maybe they are still updating.:rolleyes:

5. macrumors member

Well what ya think?

I am a bit surprised at the lack off hardware refreshing...

6. macrumors newbie

No new Powermacs, :-((((

I hoped that there would be new Powermacs but again no Powermacs just like in January. Hope Apple will do something soon. New software o.k. but I was expecting a little bit more.

7. macrumors regular

really good applications
    i was impressed by the rendezvous and jaguar complete
    but 129 as a price? a little too much dont you think.

that new Imac looks decent now to work on with the widescreen 17!

PowerMacs coming august - just a month wait.

8. macrumors 603

Honestly, I am extremely disappointed, since I could not see 99% of the broadcast.

On the other hand, I like the iPod update, the iTunes update and the Jaguar update. However, I don't like the idea of a widescreen iMac. To me, it just looks disgusting. On a Powerbook it looks cool. Aside a PowerMac it looks cool. But on an iMac just looks...awful.

I realize that Apple cannot bring forth PowerMacs every six months, but from what I have read there was not even a freakin ANNOUNCEMENT about newer PowerMacs coming soon. THAT and the fact that IF the new models have DDR-RAM, the Macs were not released at a big event, for a big product, are what got me startled.

I still hold my predictions for the PowerMac speeds/specs for August, assuming they are released then.

9. macrumors 6502a

it was a good show and now i await the August Power Macs

10. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

iDisk EXPIRES?!

Great ALL iDisks will close down UNLESS you cough up a bunch of money to Apple.

So if you don't pay EVERYTHING on your current iDisk gets dumped in 75 days. Woohoo way to generate revenue Apple.

[​IMG]

How about buying my nearly worthless stock for $49 a share instead?

11. macrumors regular

a little flat

no upgrade price for jagwire.
    now that is the worst.
    i bought g4 533's for my school and osx is not quick on them. they will have to upgrade, and that comes at a price.

17" imac is good, but 2K is above the price for a pmac w/small flatscreen, or close too it.

the imacs are pushing the high end (though they too need a speed boost)

overall, new software looks promising, though no aac which pisses me off, but hardware is what i was looking for.

poop

12. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Why should they be disappointed, they should have expected that the new Powermac would not show this time round and that Jaguar would full whack payment.

Even though everyone was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

13. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    a long road

its gonna be tough for apple to change their public persona as mainly a hardware and OS company. all these apps are nice and apple's future is gonna be diverse..so i guess that makes this a good showing.

still-i think they're really lacking in the hardware area for professionals. i can't imagine that all of those meetings with the big production houses yielded:
    20 gig ipod....:D

14. macrumors 6502a

ohh no, did anyone realize that iTunes 3 has no AAC support

15. macrumors newbie

The software announcements are exciting, but the paucity of hardware announcements is dissapointing.

I was hoping for at least a PowerMac announcement, and maybe some minor revisions to the notebooks.

And what the F*** are they thinking charging $129 for OS X.2?!?

16. macrumors 6502a

AAC Support Missing?

ohh no, did anyone realize that iTunes 3 has no AAC support

17. macrumors 6502a

ImAlwaysRight

Overall very disappointing

All we heard is how we are getting charged for OS X.2 update, you must now pay $100/yr for iTools (which had been free), and no new PowerMacs. The only thing we got was the introduction of a 4th iMac G4 model w/17" screen and GeForce4MX which isn't a whole lot better than the GeForce2MX. It's still on 100MHz bus and no L3 cache. Performance will be virtually identical to iMac G4 800 w/15" introduced 6 months ago. Are we to call this progress? I, for one, am very disappointed with this MacWorld.

18. macrumors 6502

digital1

Overall I think the show was good. But as for the PowerMacs, I will have exercise patience. But, also, I am happy to see that the iMacs are starting to get a little boost. The education part of the store seems to be down, I want to price the new iMac for education.

19. macrumors regular

Bullplop

I'm still quite annoyed that there are no new PMacs... As someone said.. the major undertone of this whole keynote was: WE NEED MORE MONEY... the whole damn thing felt like a sales pitch.. felt like they were trying to milk me.. I dont like being milked.

20. macrumors 6502

digital1

21. macrumors regular

22. macrumors newbie

I must say I am a bit dissapointed with the little amount of hardware updates.
    Also I don't like companies much who start something free, get everyone onto it, then start charging.
    I KNOW this is how business works, I am a shareholder in many companies (or was until last week!), but I was feel it is slightly underhand.
    So many people will have to pay now they are used to it.
    Don't tell me this wasn't planned all along!

Gutted at now new PMs cos I sold my dual 800 last week in hoping for a new 1.4 GHz....But more gutted at myself than Apple.

I suppose there are a lot of nice thng to look forward to when I get a new PowerMac with (free?) Jaguar ni August.

Horne

23. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

imacs available two weeks. i have no problem paying for jaguar. i want the dev cd anyways. i am overall happy with this show. i had it in full screen mpeg4 on my mac while in class. that is the ****. now four people in my class want a mac. one of them is a linux head. mpeg4 full screen on a 600MHz processor. he was sold. dont bitch about money. the imac was driopped $100. wtg apple. the 17" is a STEAL at 1999.

im stoked.

24. macrumors newbie

I just sent this to Apple. I'm not that happy at the moment.

Dear Mr/Miss,

I just read through the FAQ and noticed that you are going to deactivate my @mac.com email unless I pay $49.99 before 30 September.

Honestly, I've never had a single complaint about Apple before and, as soon as I've had a chance, I have always recommended your products and services to friends of mine.
    Because of this my best friend and his girlfriend changed from an @hotmail.com email to a @mac.com email a couple of weeks ago. I feel quite sorry for them since their email accounts now will be deleted.

As I mentioned earlier I've never had anything bad to say about Apple but now I do. I feel deeply dissapointed and don't think that I'll ever defend Apple, as I've always done before, again.

I suppose that you will receive a lot of complaints like this and just trash my email straight away but if you decide to reply I would prefer not to have a standard reply saying that you are doing it for the customer and that you're improving the service and so on.

Best regards,
    Mikael who used to be a very happy Mac user.

25. macrumors member

oy vey

Man! you guys are a mess! Its like this every year though!

I realy like those new ipods! 5gb for $299, 10gb for $399 and 20gb for $499!!! Solid state scroll wheels on ten and twenty gig models plus accessories included, and on the 10g model its thinner than the other two! I think I'm finally going to join the ipod club.

But seriously did you really expect to see powertowers? I wasnt, the software looks great, and .Mac for current itools users is 49 bucks the first year. I think I'll get it, it will be very functional since I'm a college student. I looking forward to jaguar big time! And its 129 new not as an upgrade! chill out!