MacWorld NY (CP) Who is there/going?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrMacMan, Jul 16, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I will be there tommorow, I was probably thinking there is another thread about this, but where else could it be?

I know there will be less people there but I know some people are going, is anyone meeting anyone else at location ___ ?

If so, can I come :D

I mean it can't be EMPTY of MR members can it? :eek:

edit: me --> be

2. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

3. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

daaaammmmmnnn.

I know its gonna suck, but comeon not ANYONE? :eek:

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I went today. It was really cool. Everyone kept giving me free stuff. :)

I also bought some stuff at discounted "show" prices. They were many booths and it was very crowded. I can only imagine what it was like last year when I think like 3 or 4 times more people were there (I think the numbers are like 13,000 vs. 58,000, although I might have just made those up, I don't really have a source-I just remember reading it somewhere).

The one thing I was disappointed with was the G5. I thought "Oh! First public display...look at the System Profiler, run xBench, you know, the usual mac head stuff. Well, every G5 had at least 1 Apple rep there "guarding" it, always with control of both the mouse and keyboard. I went to use one and I was approached (nicely I do have to say) by an Apple guy asking me what I would like him to show me. I felt like screaming "I just want top run xBench!!!!" :)

So, although many people say this is the first place you can go an lick a PowerMac, don't count on getting your tongue dirty. :(

it was still fun overall.

5. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Well, it does say first public display, not first public interactive display...;) Did you have clearance for Joswiak's speach?

6. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

No, I didn't get there in time for the keynote. But I doubt I could get in anyway.

7. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Wow this seems so sad that no one is going... I feel bad.

Meh I'll be going with my dad and [/insert urg here] my sister.

I will have an offical 5 Colored Black 'Apple' shirt on.

Kinda like this, but its black and is a T-Shirt. [​IMG]
    (Each Letter Is a different color.) And some longish shorts.

Yeah I know that since no one is going I probably will not see anyone, but maybe I will.

Well thats all for now.

See yah!

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Is Apple handing out any posters this year with the Panther logo or the Power Mac G5? I got a Jaguar poster last year at MWNY '02, it's still hanging in the MBR. Have the pleasure of the view!

9. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

No.

No they didn't.

All of the G5's had people swarming all over them, and when I got to one touched the mouse, downloaded the testing app and checked the specs *wham* :looks at specs again:
    WTF is this?
    '10.2.6
    1 GHZ G4'

:looks around where the hell is a 1 GHZ G4??? :looks around display: wtf!

:looks Behind display:

What the hell! a PowerBook!

*curses*

I was quite pissed because here is there set ups:

A '|' means a G5
    a '[]' means display

| [] |

ARG!!! After the program was done I was sure to install folding for our great team, but nooooo apple screws me over again.

There was no gaming section but ATI was good enough to have UT and UT2K3 loaded on their 9800 equipped G4's (1.42 Dual) so I put on a little show for the audience. :)

I met 00.00 people there from here, or anybody that I know.

I looked like I had posted.

There we tons less people and they like had 1/2 of the room of last year, they like cut the Javits center into pieces. (Macworld 1/2 -- Empty? 1/2 ??)

Anyway everything was cool excecpt that lack of everything and everyone.

I was really annoyied Adobe was a 'Platinum Sponser' and I though they weren't going to be there so I said, cool, they are here, but alas, they suported the expo, BUT FAILED TO COME.:confused:

Meh, it was a good show for what it was worth.

10. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

That's basically how I felt about it MrMacMan. It wasn't conducive for people to dive into the G5s and muck around (or install F@H :)). I was also disappointed not to see Adobe on the floor. Oh well.

11. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I was Sooooo close to installing it on the powerbook, but then my heart was sinking way too low, I almost cryied when the machine I was on wasn't a G5!

I should have turned the guy around, punched him and then yell
    'HOW COULD YOU TRICK ME INTO THINKING IT WAS A G5'

But I didn't... :-/

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Good for you MrMacman for showing such restraint. I would have also thought that all the desktops would be a G5. Did they have the CPU unit itself hidden?

13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

What other kinds of stuff did you get? How much did you pay to get in?

14. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah I was annoyied at them quite a bit when the put the powerbook, he hind the screen, where it was attached to.

The G5 Towers were on either side of my display, which is why I thought I was at a G5...

I got pamphlets, a good deal of pens, a free massage, playied around with ATI's comps for gaming.

I payied 0.00 and my dad's 0.00 = 0.00 There we so few people that they gave free tickets away, tho they desensored mine, I couldn't get in the prize lists, tho I changed that. :p

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Boston Globe Friday July 18th in the Business section "It's a small Macworld. Attendance decline in NY raises questions for Boston."

MW Boston is due to open the new $800m Boston Convention and Exhibiton Center next July, but early signs don't predict good news. Hasn't been in Boston since 1996, drawing 55,000. Since the charismatic Steve was a no show, approximately 40,000 Mac Fans attended. A dramatic drop. Apple still hasn't retracted it's statement from February, "That we are still negotiating with IDG about Boston."

16. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Look I don't want it to go to Boston.

I will not go if MacWorld goes to Boston.

I think its a bad move and away from a city that is in desperate need of people and money.

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

there are people who don't go to macworld when it's in new york, but will when it's in boston

i agree it should be in new york, but there's no need to take it personally really. as we've seen, don't need macworlds to have great products come out

18. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I don't know new york is close to Boston, but there is just a greater diversity, ny is closer to washington, it is a center of just about everything, one of the countries biggest and greatest cities.

Boston is just, i don't know, would have a different affect.

Sorry Boston goers.

19. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

RePost of My Experience

Well I have returned home from a very good visit to the Javits Center in NY. I must say despite being a smaller Mac Expo, I found it much easier to find the things I was looking for, and I wasn't lost amongst a huge array of vendors. Another plus was a smaller crowd, so I was able to see alot of the G5. I can say with confidence that I saw almost every booth, some had some way cool stuff.
    Unfortunantly I was unable to have 5 minutes to myself by a G5 to permit me to Download and run Xbench Apple staff was all over them. I got some great up close camera shots of the G5 that I look forward to showing you in my upcoming MWCE movie. The G5's were pretty cool, but no posters were handed out, a bummer for me.
    I was lucky though! I won a Tekserve T-Shirt for a cd throwing game(more of that in the movie) I saw a really cool robotic guitar, which was playing an Indian sounding tune. Griffin had a cool Atenna for radio on ur mac, I really want an EyeTv. Also one booth had some great stop motion animation software, for a great low price of $45. Also I saw a cool CD case that functions like those old Rolodexs, you move a lever along to the desired place, press an eject button and the selected CD comes out, very cool!
    One thing was missing! The games pavillion was not there!! Mega bummer for me! Well I have to get to work on my movie so I hope to give you an idea of what happened there in a few weeks!

20. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Macmaniac, thank you for adding.

You should have gone to ATI for the games...

you and I have very similar experiences and have posted almost the same exact thing. :p

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Boston is also desparated for visitors and the money that it brings. We are a center of higher education with MIT and Harvard. I trully hope that by next summer you will change your mind MrMacman! ;)

22. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i went

i went, and i was dissapointed. i was pissed apple didn't have anything to give out, and adobe wasn't there. there wasn't a whooe lot of free things tht were worth it, and one place had a case for your apple mouse. i was glad i refrained from getting onto a "G5" because of what MrMacman said.:(
    i think that IDG and Apple are both being big babies, and should have 3 expos per year. my uncle was telling me about his idea of his.

January-MWSF-Consumer
    May-MWB-CreativePro
    September-MWNY-Consumer

they can be interchanged as well.

23. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Look, new york had convience and Boston will most likely be like this past expo, relatively nothing to do.

I wish they bring back things from previous years, this year was a known let down.

24. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Actually I did go to ATI for games, but no one had Frozen throne to play so that was disapointing:(