Macworld NY --> Fact (I think)

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by macmunch, Mar 10, 2002.

1. macmunch macrumors regular

Hi, I think will see a new PRO line @ MW NY.

You know why ?

MW NY 2001 : New enclosure

Dont forgett apple normally gives the Pro line a new enclosure every year so its time soon i think, and its the best moment to Show us a Beast machine i dont say that there is a G5 it can be also a G4 @ 1,2 Ghz but with the aspect from a new enclosure and new Board features (Firewire2/DDR) there would be a bigger chance for a G5.

I think so.

PS: my English is not very good
    :)

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

It's a possibility

Don't forget about USB 2 and Firewire 2 and an improved system bus to at least 200MHz. I would not be surprised if I see a G5 enabled computer somewhere in the Big Apple. Then Macworld New York would be a hit.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: It's a possibility

I doubt there will be a G5 Pro revision until at least MWSF 2003

arn

4. germanknee macrumors member

g4 MPC7470 MWNY july 2002
    g5 MPC7500 MWSF jan 2003

it's the only thing that makes sense, but then again, moto is slow and steve is unpredictable.

it still think this is what will happen, and so do a few others.

5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I say G5s most probably Jan03, its quite entertaining to think that before Jan7th02 we were hoping for G5s this year!

Ensign

6. tortus macrumors member

g4 has legs in the imac

I have no idea when we will see the g5. According to plausible rumors, they should be ready by the fall. When we will see them, I don't know. NY, SF...who knows.

All i know is that the imac will continue to use the g4 processor. The motorolla roadmap for the g4 has it peaking at 1.3-1.6 Ghz. Expect to see these chips in the imacs sometime next year. I don't think that Apple is going to spend time and money redesigning a motherboard for the g4 pro series to accomodate USB 2.0, Firewire 2.0, DDR ram, and an increased system bus unless they will be able to slap the g5s in there with little problem. It just doesn't make sense to incorporate new technology into something that will be replaced at the latest in January of 2003 (we hope this is the latest the g5s will be introduced.)

So...this is a good sign. Apple has had ample time to increase the system bus and support DDR memory but they haven't. Their efforts are going toward the new system architecture to be found in the g5 systems. G4s will remain in the imacs and powerbooks while the ibooks will continue to use G3s unless by some miracle they figure out how to keep the ibook cases from melting under the extreme temperatures produced by the g4.

I hope and pray we see the g5 soon, for my 450 g4 is feeling a little slow. It is time to upgrade.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'll admit...

So we probably won't see the G5 at New York. It probably will be a faster G4.

However, Apple has gone in increments of 167MHz for every update for the Powermac G4 since the 500MHz. Do you think that Apple will continue its slow increments or will Apple make a large jump in speed?

I am assuming (safely) that Dual Processors will still be used.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: g4 has legs in the imac

What roadmap do you speak of? The latest Motorola roadmap that's published on their website says 1 GHz+. They've not put a limit on the G4. Personally, I think that we'll have 2 GHz+ G4s in the iMac within 12 to 18 months.

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Re: Re: g4 has legs in the imac

hrm. no. i definetely think NOT.

irmongoose

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Dumb question

I have a dumb question. One of the really nice things about macs (at least from my pc user perspective) is the continuity between models. A G3 can use most, if not all, of the same software a G4 can use. Same goes for many of the even older models.

My question is, aside from new stuff that will make use of Firewire 2, will there be compatibility problems between existing computers and the new G5s (as currently envisioned)?

Thanks

11. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

The only dumb question is a question not asked

Anythign that is on an older model mac will work on a G5. Apple doesnt screw people over like other companies. It's just that some software on the G5's and G4's wont run on older machines. I have a model before the G3's came out, so I can't run OSX and many other software because of lack of hardware, but I still can do a lot with it. I'm upgradeing this summer after 4 1/2 years.

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: The only dumb question is a question not asked

That's not entirely true. There are lots of things that I have on my older mac that will not work on my iBook. Here's a sample.

Microleague Baseball on my SE/30
    ADB Keyboard and Mouse
    HP Deskwriter Inkjet

etc...

But these aren't things that I can't live without. So it's not a big deal to me.