Macworld or MacAddict?

Discussion in 'Community' started by theimacguy, Jun 15, 2004.

1. theimacguy macrumors regular

theimacguy

Witch is a better mac magazine? Macworld or MacAddict?

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Seriously: Agreed, get both of them.

Also serious:
    Macworld: More in-depth, fairly detailed
    MacAddict: Casual, minor comedy factor, comes with software CD

Joking: Get Macworld, because you get paid to read the articles:

Attached Files:

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Also agreed - get both.

I get MacWorld digitally via Zinio (nice for the laptop and trips) and MacAddict via snail mail. They compliment each other nicely.

5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

yes, both are good and both produce great articles on both new products and how to get the most out of older hardware.

macworld has a more serious way about them where as macaddict are more like a bunch of friends that make a magazine together.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I really like MacAddict. Their Q&A section is pretty nice, and they include at least 1 Unix Tip in each issue. Also, I think they do a good job doing their reviews. I've been a subscriber since issue 12 :D

7. Amani macrumors member

Amani

I get them both also, but I'm becoming a little disappointed in them for different reasons. McAddict wastes too many pages showing off computer related products when it's already full of ads that do the same thing. And a mail subscription to MacWorld doesn't come with a resource CD, which you get if you purchase the mag in the store.

If you're a Mac beginner, I would go with MacAddict--mainly because of the how-to articles.

As a side note: I wish someone would come out with an magazine or website that feature tons of tips and how-tos conerning workflow using Mac and Mac applications. It would be nice to get articles and interviews from professionals and other Mac users about how they organize their their workflow to complete certain projects Mac applications and computers.

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

get 'em both, I agree. They're good magazines, but not really great ones. MacAddict has come a long ways from its, well, crappy beginnings. MacWorld isn't as good as it once was.

I remember the days when MacWorld and MacUser competed. In their prime, those two magazines were exceptional.

9. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I used to get both of them, but I stopped getting MacWorld about a year ago. I just didn't like it as much anymore. Although people have knocked MacAddict for their humor, they still provide great reviews and information that I think is more helpful than MacWorld's. Both good mags though :)

10. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Get both. Though Macworld has been slipping the last year or so, but still good.

11. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

someone here on MR posted a link to get Macaddict for free, i did it and it worked, but my subscription is running out, anyone have that link again?

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, I'd love that link, too!

13. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

on another note about MacWorld, I used to enjoy it a lot more when David Pogue wrote the last page for the magazine. Now I just get his email letter Circuits from the NY Times.

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

David Pogue is great. I really like Andy Ihnatko, as well. He's hilarious and often has an excellent point to make through humor. When MacWorld acquired MacUser, they transitioned with a blend of the two magazines. That disappeared rapidly, but Ihnatko's column endured for a while. Unfortuantely, I think it's gone now.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

MacWorld has nice full-depth reviews. When they cover a topic thoroughly, they do a great job. That's why I have a hardcopy subscription. The news and tips are less important since they can easily be found online.

I have trouble finding the time to read each full issue, so I haven't tried reading MacAddict too.

16. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere