MacWorld & PowerBooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by buckuxc, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. buckuxc macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2003
    #1
    hey all,


    Alright, I've been waiting for a really long time at this point, but I think I can finally get the powerbook I want. Now, do keep patient and see what happens at MacWorld (speed bump, price reduction, new deal?)? Or is there no reason to wait and I should just hop on the deal that's going now with the free 2-3 day shipping? Thanks

    sps
     
  2. revenuee macrumors 68020

    revenuee

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2003
    Location:
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    #2
    Re: MacWorld & PowerBooks

    tough call ... low % of speed bump, but a price drop is highly possible
     
  3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

    FredAkbar

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2003
    Location:
    Santa Barbara, CA
    #3
    We're this close to MWSF, so unless you need the pBook right now, you should wait until after MacWorld; you never know what might happen.
     
  4. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 30, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    #4
    If you've waited awhile already.. what's a little more time. Be patient and you will be rewarded (heopfully)..
     
  5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

    CmdrLaForge

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2003
    Location:
    around the world
    #5
    Wait until MacWorld. Even if there is no change to the PBs at all there might be some nice new Apps like iWrite you get for free after.

    Cheers
     
  6. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

    GroundLoop

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2003
    #6
    I am in the same situation. I want to pick up a new 15" 1.25GHz powerbook very soon. If you order by 12/27, you can get free shipping, Final Cut Express for $99, and Keynote for $50. But if you wait until MWSF you might get a small redeuction in price, but not have the option for the other software deals.

    In my opinion, it is a tough call. If you think you will be using FCE, I say you buy now. Otherwise, you should wait until after MWSF.

    Since I am going to be using FCE quite a bit, I am going to wait until the 27th to see if there are any concrete rumors about the powerbooks. If not, then I will order to get the software discounts.

    Hickman
     
  7. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #7
    the current PB's are REVISION B's

    so in my opinion, its a great time to buy!
     
  8. Icekey macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2003
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #8
    I'm in the exact same situation. At the current pricing and the products out there, I'm weighing more towards the 12" iBooks as they offer great value. Unfortunately the prices here don't reflect the current exchange rate with the US. Thus, I'm in a position where I have to simply wait till MWSF and hope that Apple Australia will get off their arses and release proper prices which are somewhat similiar to that of the US (GST + little bit of other costs included). With that in mind, I'm just searching really hard to find some rumours or stories relating to a new 12" powerbook for example. I've come to the conclusion is that the only way Apple is going to really make the 12" powerbooks more attractive then the current iBooks is to radically change the form factor and release a 12.1" WXGA (1280x800). Hitachi has already done it so I don't see why Apple can't. Or else, really, the iBooks are pretty much a great value unless you're opting for the 15", which makes the 12" PB redundant. Anyhow, I guess we'll have to have our wallets held tight till the 6th of Jan to find out. Man, the next 2 weeks is going to be a long one!!!
     
  9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #9
    Normally, I would just say get the machine that you want when you want it. If you play the waiting game, and always wait for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting! But since MWSF is so close, and only a couple weeks away, I would say unless you desparately need it now, just wait and see. Even if absolutely nothing is announced at MWSF for the PBs, you haven't lost anything.

    I personally don't think we'll see any major updates to the PB line, but Jobs has surprised us before! A price reduction is probably the most likely thing you'll see, speed bumps are less likely.

    But with all the rumors on updated iApps, and the many product lines that are overdue for updates (LCDs, G5 xServes, PM speed boosts), I think there will be plenty of updates announced at MWSF and Jobs will have lots to annnounce as it is!

    As for the next major revision to the PB line, I see it being the G5 PowerBook - and this will not happen until summer 2004.
     
  10. cubist macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2002
    Location:
    Muncie, Indiana
    #10
    MacOSRumors is claiming that the 12" will get a lighted keyboard, and that there will be minor speed bumps. But their record is very poor.

    Most of think that MWSF will be about software and PMG5 speed bumps, with a tiny possibility of a G5 iMac.

    (My problem with that is I'd like a G5 iMac, but I'm concerned that it's still going to be expensive compared to a faster tower. Drat!)
     
  11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #11
    This is precisely what will happen with the G5 iMac. If they release the G5 iMac anytime soon, it will no longer be a consumer model - it will be a digital hub of sorts, and become a mid-grade model, with the eMac being the only true consumer model, from a price perspective. The G5 iMac will have a new form factor and be $3000-$3500.
     
  12. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #12
    I don't see why a G5 iMac would cost between $3000-3500. Also, why would simply having a G5 take it out of the consumer field? Price does that, not an upgrade of performance.
     
  13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #13
    Having a G5 doesn't take it out of the consumer field, I was thinking more because the cost would be so high that it wouldn't really be a consumer level machine anymore.

    It's just my crazy prediction, that's all. I think the new G5 iMac will sport a 1.6 or 1.8 G5, be smaller, more sleek (more football-shaped than dome-shaped), will have a lot of the better technologies that the PMs currently have, and the monitor will come out from the back of the base rather than the middle, then arc forward.

    And yah, I think it will be a lot more expensive - just my predictions, that's all.

    We'll just wait and see! :cool:
     
  14. caswell11 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2003
    #14
    aussie mac prices

    Icekey,

    Apple has to pay a 30% import duty on all macs brought into the country, so prices will never come down to exchange rate + GST. I just did a quick calc on the 12" combo pBook, and with the 30% + GST at current exchange rate it looks like it's actually priced $90 cheaper than it could be. The import duty sucks, but such is life, I guess.

    Cas, proud owner of a shiny new 12" iBook. :)
     
  15. Icekey macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2003
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #15
    Thanks for that info. My understanding was that there is a 5% duty on the product + GST + Shipping which is the duty. 30% seems quite a bit!!!

    Anyhow, I think I'm quite certain that I'll end up getting the iBook unless Apple releases a nicer 12" powerbook under 3k.
     

Share This Page