Macworld San Francisco 2007 Rumor Roundup

Discussion in 'Event Archives' started by MacRumors, Jan 1, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With Macworld San Francisco (MWSF) quickly approaching, MacRumors provides this Rumor Roundup as a summary of major rumors circulating around the Mac Web before the big event. (Previous MacRumors MWSF roundups: 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, and 2002.)

While Apple's popularity continues to rise, the media coverage for Apple rumors reached an all time high this year.

Apple Phone (or Not?)

The one rumor that has received the greatest exposure is, of course, the Apple branded phone (formerly the iPhone). Talk of an Apple-branded cell phone has been ongoing for years, however.

In 2002, when asked directly "Will there be an iPhone?", Steve Jobs replied "One never knows. We don't usually discuss products we haven't announced." In 2003, when questioned again about an Apple phone, Steve Jobs stated that they did not "feel they could add much value to current cell phones."

The Apple Phone rumor flickered to life again in February 2006 when research group UBS said "not to rule out an Apple-branded cell phone later this year". PiperJaffray made a bolder statement in March 2006 with a 75% chance of a iPhone in the next 12 months. Similar claims came from a J.P. Morgan analyst that "chatter about the [Apple Phone] is all over the food chain".

What finally triggered worldwide attention can be traced back to this Commercial Times report that Taiwan's Hon Hai has received a 12 million unit contract for the rumored Apple phone to be released in the first half of 2007. While regular MacRumors readers might realize that these Taiwanese supply reports have been wrong in the past, the proposed time-frame correlated with an earlier ThinkSecret report also pointing to "early 2007" for the release. As well, a reliable MacRumors source provided a description (and artist rendition) of what one of the existing prototype phones looked like at that time.

The first detailed specs came from Kevin Rose who had been previously known to have some inside information. Other (conflicting) claims/specs are also listed here:

- 2GB ($249), 4GB ($449), Slide out keyboard, "cool" OS, All Phone providers (Kevin Rose)
    - 4GB ($599), 8GB ($649), Metal, Cingular Wireless, Full screen LCD, Virtual Click Wheel (Morgan Stanley analyst)
    - GSM/EDGE device only (ThinkSecret)

While many news outlets are pointing towards Macworld San Francisco as the launch date of the Apple Phone, none of the more credible rumors have specifically pointed to Macworld as the launch day for the device:

- 1st half of 2007 (1, 2, 3, 4)
    - Not at Macworld SF (1)
    - January (1)
    - Macworld San Francisco (0)

While nothing would preclude Apple from announcing a phone at Macworld for a later launch, the evidence for a Macworld launch remains mostly speculative.

Mac Pro

Appleinsider suggested in October that an 8-Core Mac Pro was ready to launch as early as November 2006. While this did not take place, an upcoming 2.0GHz quad-core chip due in January will be priced at a reasonable $690/chip, similar to the current 2.66GHz dual-core Woodcrest that is currently offered in Mac Pros.

A recent Macscoop report claimed that the 8-core Mac would be on track for a January release.

iTV

Apple surprised many when they revealed the iTV in September at the "Showtime" media event. The $299 device offers a living room appliance that interfaces your media content to your television. A brief overview was provided, but the final shipping product was not promised until the first quarter of 2007.

Many expect Apple will provide more details of the iTV at Macworld.

Leopard

Leopard was first previewed in August, revealing Time Machine, Spaces, Core Animation, and more.

Over the following months, only a few additional features have been revealed, and no word of the "secret" features Apple has held back from their public preview.

The latest minor feature revealed has been the use of XAR for Leopard's package format.

Apple would likely demonstrate Leopard again at Macworld San Francisco, but the final release is not expected until "Spring 2007".

New Displays

Some sporadic reports of new displays have been distributed, but have been tainted by claims that they represent efforts to intentionally spread false information to rumor sites. As such, these rumors should be viewed with skepticism.

iLife '07

Unlike most Apple updates, the iLife suite has seen regular yearly updates released at the Macworld San Francisco expo. iWork '07 has been said to include significant updates to Keynote and Pages as well as the introduction of a new spreadsheet application code named "Lasso".

Video iPod, and Others?

Surprisingly, little attention has been given to the rumored full Video iPod despite clear evidence that Apple has been considering such a form factor. The latest word has placed the device in the early 2007 timeframe.

Three new iPod models were said to be in the works for 2007, but not necessarily at Macworld.

Summary

Surprisingly few Macworld San Francisco specific rumors have emerged this year in the months leading up to the event. This final week, however, always represents a busy time for rumors with last minute leaks common.

If you would like to meet up with other MacRumors members, this thread lists others going to the event.

No live Quicktime stream is typically available for the keynote event. Instead, we will provide live coverage of the event at MacRumorsLive.com. The keynote takes place at 9am Pacific time on January 9th, 2007.

[[ digg this ]]

2. macrumors 65816

eenu

doesn't seem like there is much to get excited about!

3. macrumors 68000

amacgenius

The only two I'm betting on are iLife '07 and iTV, because those seem most feasible at this point.

A new Mac Pro and another more in depth Leopard preview would be nice, but I don't think that's in the Pipeline (kudos to those who get the joke).

4. macrumors demi-god

Nugget

Sounds like the keynote will either be really boring or really surprising.

5. Moderator emeritus

Time to remind ourselves of this again...

http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

:D

6. macrumors 65816

iJawn108

I think we'll see QT 8 previewed.:D

7. macrumors 603

Rocketman

I am expecting MACworld to bring (2/3 of):

A couple of interesting new MacPro BTO options.

A new iMac which is an iTV mainframe of sorts.

iTV enabled monitors.

An iTV breakout box for talking to existing computers and televisions.

802.11n in many places including a "surprise" (to some) announcement Macs have been shipping with 802.11n for several months now and it can be enabled by a software update (available today).

A consumer SAN.

New iPod games

New iLife/iWork apps and upgrades and backgrounds.

FCP update.

One more thing: Video iPod

Later: a "media release" perhaps leading to or at NAB
    Later: an iTunes event announcing more movie studios and broadcast content libraries.
    Later: Leopard, Mac-Mini C2D, MacMaster (workstation class system)

Rocketman

8. macrumors 68000

4God

I think we'll hear more on iTV. I also think now would be the time for iLife and Leopard announcements. It wouldn't surprise me to see an update to the displays, including a built in iSight and a move from 23" to 24" - don't know 'bout that 50 incher though. :rolleyes: I don't think we'll see an update to FCP or MacPros untill NAB.

9. macrumors newbie

Jobs receives a call during keynote and reaches into his pocket...

...audience errupts with joyful tears...

...pulls out iTunes compatible motorola phone....

...audience sighs....and cries....

....Steve gets another call 5 mintues later...

...pulls out iPhone

...geeks bumrush the stage and carry Steve off on their shoulders

10. umu
    macrumors newbie

Overlooked?

How about some kind of iSight?

11. macrumors 6502

Metatron

Whatever happend to the thin macbook? That is all I wanted this year.

12. macrumors 6502

Itunes TV shows in the UK?

Could apple maybe announce tv shows for uk itunes? IF not does anyone have any ideas when they might be releaseing these??

13. macrumors 68000

RichP

Wow, only a week away...

nice post BlueVelvet Ive read it before, but it is always applicable

Here's hoping there is something completely new or unexpected released!

14. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think there's been any compelling evidence to support that, sadly. At least, several very seemingly viable component technologies, such as ULV C2D's, are not available yet.

For the iSight, too, no really compelling evidence of what the revised product would be, should there be one.

15. macrumors member

As long they don't announce a MacBook Pro update it's all fine for me. Not sure if I would be shocked when they announce 100 pixels extra screen, or better videocard. But if they are going for a higher resolution like 1920x1080px for a 15" inch edition. Then it will be troublesome for me!

16. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

not only that, but none of the rumors really pointed to MWSF for a compact Macbook.

arn

17. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agreed... I lust after it, but I have very low expectation of seeing it in January....

Nice work with the summary, Arn! :D

One other thing I think are interesting... We widely expect an iLife 07, but there have been basically no rumors related to how it will differ from iLife 06. I mean there're lots of obvious speculations, but....

18. macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Pfft...they shamefully overlooked my rumour :rolleyes:

19. macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

12" Mbp

20. macrumors 6502

Nice idea. I have to say IF an [insert apple phone name here] was launched I'm pretty sure I'd buy one as I'm in the market right now. *shrug* Who knows!?

Uber

21. macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

iLiving

with iTv,the new features in iChat (background images), and the rumors of new iSight and apple game console, perhaps we will se see some type of iToy like device.:p

Also, with updates to iChat, perhaps we will see some smaller form of iSight for use with iTv and iPod/TelePod. This would also allow people to watch movies with friends around the world with a core animation powered keynote like Pic in Pic format.

Or perhaps ^QT8^ will provide this function. ;)

22. macrumors Core

MacNut

Steve will take the stage and announce that they have created artificial life that can sing every song on your iPod while cleaning your house, he says they will be called PodPeople.:rolleyes:

23. hob
    macrumors 68020

hob

Who really needs more iLife. Honestly. I think they should bundle it with OS X, and update it all at once!

BlueVelvet, you have ruined my life forever :p First time I've read that! So true though!

24. macrumors 6502a

I find it hard to believe they'll get that excited about a Cisco Wifi phone, especially if a Motorola iTunes phone doesn't do the job...

I guess we'll see more of Leopard.

We might see more of iTV. I think, contrary to what some insist upon here, that iTV will be a standalone box, requiring no additional Mac to work. There's little point in it having storage if it isn't going to be, and a consumer device requiring a computer is something I think Apple wants to get away from. At the same time, what I've seen so far is Apple seperating the media business from the computer business, and wouldn't be surprised if they actually avoid showing iTV (and iPod enhancements) at MWSF.

iPod Phone (or whatever it's called) is a no-no. I'm not ruling out it being a future Apple product, there's too much evidence it exists, I just doubt it'll be there for MWSF, both because it's not a Mac (see above comment) and because I think they'd do an actual keynote. And, as always, for Apple's sake, I hope the rumour is complete rubbish.

iLife - why, yes. Even better would be improvements to iWork, notable some of the missing components added. Apple lacks an office suite. iWork is not an office suite, and Mac enthusiasts do everyone no favours by pretending it is. If Apple are unwilling to complete iWork, they could throw their weight behind NeoOffice.

I really love the game console rumour. It sounds completely made up to me, but now would be a great time to introduce something, even if it's just a low cost Mac mini in practice. The Playstation 3 is a disaster. The Xbox 360 isn't selling in anything like the numbers Microsoft hoped. The only console that's actually moving at the moment is the Wii, and the low power of the thing means it might only have a year of marketability in it. If ever there was a time for Apple to jump into the market, it would be now. But that said, I seriously doubt they will.

25. macrumors 68000

Are you sure you don't work for Steve?