Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
I just wish I/we had a better prediction of the when for the MBP. My old Dell Inspiron 8500 is dying.

I need my new laptop to last as long as possible.

Buy a current gen MBP refurbished. If money is an issue and you need it now, it doesn't make sense to wait for Penryn.

pete-01

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
shaw wu - time capsule

Shaw Wu has a pretty awful track record for as much mainstream attention he gets. One thing, though, he was the only one who saw something like the time capsule coming. He made a comment about a new network device with storage, but I guess that was lost amongst his many misses.

cheunghy

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2006
Hong Kong
Wait a minute...
I just noticed that I couldn't find the IR port on the MacBook Air. Is it hidden like it does on the iMacs? (MacBooks and MacBook Pros have theirs on the front.)

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
So are you saying you prefer the new keyboards to the old PB/MBP keyboards?

The new keyboards rock! It's so much easier to type with them. I hope so badly the MBPs get the new keyboards (with backlit of course).

i've seen a lot of people say that they _have_ to change the design of the mbp because it is so dated...it's still the nicest looking laptop from any manufacturer isn't it?

No. The MBP design is really dated. Yeah it was nice back when it came out...oh, what, 7+ years ago? They've been using the same case design since the Powerbook. It's time to let it die already. Time for a refresh.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
The MacBook Pro updates are certainly coming -- and soon. But the most interesting tidbit is that there have been reliable reports that the Pro machines will incorporate Apple's new multi-touch trackpad.

I think everyone's in agreement, then. Multi-touch will be coming to Apple's entire portable line—MBP soon, MB this summer (ahead of the back-to-school computer season).

I have to say, I think Apple is slowly changing 25 years of HUI habits. When I first heard CoverFlow was coming to the Finder, I thought it was completely unnecessary. But then I realized that in combination with QuickLook, it has its uses. And now with multi-touch, and the ability to zoom in and out of CoverFlow (and swipe between files) from the trackpad, well it works so well that I think that was their plan all along.

That WIRED article about the iPhone's development claimed that Apple had been working on a tablet for a year or more before beginning work on the iPhone. If that's true, and they purchasd Fingerworks, they have an entire library of gestures waiting for us.

I think Steve Jobs—crazy like a fox—is rolling out the pieces of the interface slowly, because he realizes he's teaching computer (well, machine) users a new way of interacting. Cut and Paste for the iPhone? Probably done a year ago. Remote control of :apple:TV with iPhone/Touch? Check. Just not giving it to you yet.

And before long, the gestures will seem so natural that they will have to have a wireless "gesture-pad" to sit next to the keyboard for iMac users.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Shaw Wu has a pretty awful track record for as much mainstream attention he gets. One thing, though, he was the only one who saw something like the time capsule coming. He made a comment about a new network device with storage, but I guess that was lost amongst his many misses.

john gruber also predicted this on daring fireball

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
YES, YES, YES...

"Given Appleinsider's accuracy with their ultra-portable report, it is increasingly likely that we will see a mini-tablet device coming from Apple. Apple is said to be working on a multi-touch OS X device about 1.5x the size of the iPhone with a 720x480 screen. Initial reports had suggested the possibility of a Macworld launch, but was delayed and may instead be seen later this year".

But, please, make it with a FULL Mac OS X inside and FULL quality video out for wired and wireless presentations. Someting similar or better than:

UMPC
http://onlyumpc.com

Asus Eee PC
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product.htm

OQO e2
http://www.oqo.com/intl

Samsung Ultra Mobile PC Q1
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/type/type.do?group=computersperipherals&type=ultramobilepc

Being the ultimate handheld and pocket computer. With 5-inch or so screen. An order of thousands for our University will follow. And we need it now, or else we will go to Windows-Linux.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Buy a current gen MBP refurbished. If money is an issue and you need it now, it doesn't make sense to wait for Penryn.

For a lot of people (myslef included) even this does not fix the price concerns. With an EPP discount, I can get a brand new MBP for just a tad more ($100-200, depending on a model) than a refurb. And oh, I do get an EPP discount on Dells and HPs (which is actually more than I got on Apple products, percentagewise), so in the end the current MBP is still way overpriced from my point of view. However, once the Penryn MBPs are released, I know from past history that the gap will close considerably, at which point, even if I have to spend a little more money than I would for the current MBP, I will not feel as stupid as I do now about going with a Mac.

nnkd

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
I'm thinking that if they upgrade the MBP line significantly (more than a speed bump), it'll be some time from now (month or two). I don't think it'll be next week or that might steal the brand new MCA's thunder. Apple may use the MBP upgrade as a stepping stone of spotlight between the new MBA news and the mid/late spring upgrades.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Check at MacWorld Expo Summer 2008 - 8-13 June

And we need it now, or else we will go to Windows-Linux.

At this point, it's unlikely that Apple will introduce a UMPC before Silverthorne is available - especially if it wants the UMPC to be able to run standard Intel OSX binaries.

Maybe at MacWorld Expo Summer 2008 the UMPC will be the "one more thing". Moscone West is reserved for a corporate event from 8 June 2008 to 13 June 2008, so that's the likely time.

When it will ship in quantity would be an unknown, though.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20080107corp.htm

Intel plans to ship its first low power processor and chipset platform designed for mobile Internet devices in the first half of this year.

Codenamed "Menlow," it is comprised of a chipset with a single chip design, codenamed "Poulsbo"; and a processor, codenamed "Silverthorne," which comes in a package that is five times smaller and consumes 10 times less power than ultra low voltage mobile processors introduced in 2006.

nnkd

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
I really hope the new MBP doesn't have black keys on aluminum. It looks like trash.

It should at least come with the option for white keys. My least favorite thing about the MBA are the keys... it's a little trivial hate but still I dislike 'em.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
I guess the IR port and the sleep indicator light are combined in the front. It also might be in the hole next to the built in isight camera on the front display face.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I think the next version of the MacBook Pro will be a major revamp and I'll outline the reasons why I think so:

— The rumored next model must have the multi-gesture trackpad. I cannot see that being exclusive to the MacBook Air and I cannot see Apple withholding that in its other future notebook lines.

— The newer style keyboard is on every other Mac product at the moment, it also has remapped F-keys and the change from the Apple logo to "command."

— Magnetic latch of the MacBook Air suggests the magnetic latch design will work its way up to the pro line and that it can be implemented through aluminum.

— Circular peep hole for iSight in display bezel.

— Thinner display of MacBook Air is because of LED-backlighting and a thinner display in the MacBook Pro will allow the hinge to let the display tilt back further, which is currently a flaw in the current MacBook Pro.

— I think the enclosure will have to change somewhat to become a little more environmentally-friendly...current MacBook Pros have a thin plastic border around the frame. It's darker gray and it surrounds the base and the display. I notice that it is absent on the new MacBook Air. While I think the keyboard will be black, I am thinking Apple might take the whole aluminum enclosure and anodize it black for a highly desirable, professional look.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
The new keyboards rock! It's so much easier to type with them. I hope so badly the MBPs get the new keyboards (with backlit of course).

No. The MBP design is really dated. Yeah it was nice back when it came out...oh, what, 7+ years ago? They've been using the same case design since the Powerbook. It's time to let it die already. Time for a refresh.

The current design is now 5 years old (released 2003, the 12" and 17" PB), not 7+ as stated. Its design is still good and functional.

ProzacJM

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
A macbook pro with a new keyboard, MT and a video card upgrade, thats all i am asking for.

And please make it soon:D.

willieand

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
I only wonder what they mean by saying that the Macbook Pros are coming "soon"... Maybe within few weeks from now? What are your guesses ? At this time there are 229 days since the last update (avarge 186 days between updates).

The penryn processor will have significant effect on performance, right? I've come so far, waiting for the next update.. and i'm not giving up now !

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
The current design is now 5 years old (released 2003, the 12" and 17" PB), not 7+ as stated. Its design is still good and functional.

Sure, but as the Air suggested, there are certain functional design changes that needs to be incorporated into the MBPs. What I'd like to see:

1. Multi-touch trackpad
2. MB-style keyboard
3. Magnetic latch
4. User-removable drive
5. SDD + HDD option: Boot volume is on a 16GB SDD for speed and battery conservation)
6. Dual battery option: With Apple pushing the wireless thing a la the MBA, they should offer a removable bay where you can swap out the optical drive for a 2nd battery.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK

Indeed, I have no complaints about my PowerBook's design, only its lack of speed. And, there is some new functionality that we'd all like to see on the MacBook Pro line.

Also, add my name to the list of people who want to know quite how to interpret "soon"... are we talking days, weeks, or months?

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
It should at least come with the option for white keys. My least favorite thing about the MBA are the keys... it's a little trivial hate but still I dislike 'em.

I agree. The white keys on the Current keyboard don't lool that bad. Or least make them silver like on the Macbook Pro.
(See my Mockup of 1 12" Macbook Pro)

macbookpro1201fs6.jpg

PM me if you want the PSD files of those mockups to play around with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.