Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld announced on Monday that the "early bird" registration for Macworld San Francisco 2009 will be extended until December 8th. The early registration provides a discount on the price of admission. Basic expo floor passes can be had for $25, while the possibility of Keynote access is restricted to those with tickets of $250 or more. Macworld Expo takes place from January 5th to 9th, 2009 and represents the likely venue for Apple's next product announcements.

A number of products are expected to be unveiled at or around Macworld. Long running rumors have suggested that Apple's iMac and Mac mini are due for imminent updates. Mac Pro suitable Nehalem processors are due in the first quarter and we've long heard that the remainder of the Cinema Displays will be updated at MWSF.

Meanwhile, an unconfirmed tip at MacBlogz even claims that Apple might introduce a 32GB iPhone at Macworld 2009. While these "storage bump" predictions are easy to make, the technology may be poised to become available at the right timeframe.

The reason the largest iPhone (16GB) currently has 1/2 the memory of the largest iPod touch (32GB) is that the iPhone can only house a single NAND Flash chip while the iPod touch can accommodate two. The additional space in the iPhone is taken up by its communication hardware. In August, Toshiba announced that they would begin mass production of higher density 32GB chips in the 4th quarter of 2008. These chips could presumably be used in future iPhone and iPod touch models. Another intriguing announcement came from Intel who has developed Flash chips that could increase this maximum to 64GB by early 2009.

Article Link: Macworld San Francisco 2009 Registration, New Macs, 32GB iPhones?

Dejavu

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Apple TV refresh, hopefully.

Come on Steve, surprise us with a hardware upgrade: 1080P and 3.5" hard drive in a new form factor.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Here's hoping for:

- 17-inch Unibody Macbook Pro (perhaps they are working in a surprise for the 17-inch given the time delay... NVIDIA 9800 GPU perhaps? A bit wishful for a machine so thin though, I think...)
- New iMacs are due out soon
- Completely redesigned Mac Mini w/ at least NVIDIA 9400 graphics
- New ACD line
- Matte options for all displays (perhaps a matte finish can be applied with some sort of coating over the glass at the factory...)

But that's too much to launch at one time, I think... so it isn't all going to happen :(

pfml07

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
UK
Here's hoping for:

- 17-inch Unibody Macbook Pro (perhaps they are working in a surprise for the 17-inch given the time delay... NVIDIA 9800 GPU perhaps? A bit wishful for a machine so thin though, I think...)
- New iMacs are due out soon
- Completely redesigned Mac Mini w/ at least NVIDIA 9400 graphics
- New ACD line
- Matte options for all displays (perhaps a matte finish can be applied with some sort of coating over the glass at the factory...)

But that's too much to launch at one time, I think... so it isn't all going to happen :(

Lets pray that apple do give a matte finish option. Please please please.
Other than that some good points were made there. The new imacs cant be long now and hopefully the mac mini might get a slight make over, making it easier to take apart!! Working with macs is usually ok, but those mac mini's, not fun to be taking apart.

Oh well, bring it on (m)Apple
Woo Hoo!

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Wishlist
Iphone
Bluetooth support in Iphone
somethig simular to Blackberry storms SureType.

Mac mini or apple TV
Need a little more power / 1080P support (for Boxee and matroska)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Apple TV refresh, hopefully.

Come on Steve, surprise us with a hardware upgrade: 1080P and 3.5" hard drive in a new form factor.

I think it already can do 1080p, but there's no content available.

But never mind that. I agree with the 3.5" HDD change. While making it slightly bigger, it also would allow crazy storage (hello 1TB) and would reduce cost per GB.

I'm also for adding an optical drive and giving it an actual OS of some sort and not that POS thing on there now. Provide some remote control that can do more than an old-school Nintendo controller. Just make it semi-simple like a DVD remote but allow stuff like audio selection, subtitles, etc. Adding a DVD player would entice a LOT of people who want as few boxes as possible and aren't on the Blu-ray bandwagon yet. If they can work out the Blu-ray headache, add a BD option. Such a device with the footprint of a MacBook would be kickass.

Add Netflix streaming to such a unit and I may mess myself.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Yes, but not in the new Unibody style...

I've just got an offer for uni next year, so I really, really want a new Mac Mini for HTPC duties. The current one will be relegated to word processing now that I need to set up a study...

Specs are upgraded. However, if the 17" gets updated with unibody and matte option, I'll be getting another one.

theGreenHornet

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
really hoping for a new well improved imac... was going to get the new macbook pro, but it was quite a disappointment soooo im tired of waiting :D

...gotta change the sig.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
I'm also for adding an optical drive and giving it an actual OS of some sort and not that POS thing on there now. Provide some remote control that can do more than an old-school Nintendo controller. Just make it semi-simple like a DVD remote but allow stuff like audio selection, subtitles, etc. Adding a DVD player would entice a LOT of people who want as few boxes as possible and aren't on the Blu-ray bandwagon yet. If they can work out the Blu-ray headache, add a BD option. Such a device with the footprint of a MacBook would be kickass.

Sounds like you need a mac mini. It has most of the features you are missing.

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I'm hoping for Snow Leopard-related news.
That and getting iTunes movie downloads and rentals in Portugal and the rest of Europe. Come on, Apple... We've been waiting a looong time...

Unfortunately, I promised myself I'd only buy a new MBP when the mobile quad-core chips come out (my mid-2007 15.4" 2.4GHz still kicks ass), so no new hardware for me.

P.S.: I'm also interested in:
-New uses for the Bluetooth chip in the 2G Touch. Since it can do Bluetooth, WiFi and FM simultaneously, we'll probably see FM receiving capabilities and the ability to connect to Bluetooth headphones.
Also, it would be kickass if Apple released a GPS receiver (or allowed the use of third-party Bluetooth accessories such as a GPS receiver) for the Touch!

-The release of an online infrastructure (à la Xbox Live) so all games can share the same system for leaderboards, matchmaking, text/audio chat, etc...

I know it's wishful thinking but that'd be great!

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I would love for a 32GB iPhone!

I've had an 8GB since launch and silly me, I didn't buy the AppleCare. Now the Wi-Fi has been going all wonky and I decided I would wait to get a new iPhone.

So c'mon, January, you can't come soon enough!

Gee4orce

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
If the limitation of the iPhone storage is that it can only hold a single chip, compared to the iPod touch which an hold 2, then a 32GB iPhone can only mean one thing: a 64GB iPod touch ! :D

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
I expect
- Lot's of Snow Leopard stuff.
- 17" unibody MBP, same basic hardware. I'll wager there will be no matte option :mad:
- 32GB iPhone.

I hope
- Mac Pro Core i7 update (though any display-port connectivity depends on nVidia)
- Announcement of new iWork/iLife suite to be launched with Snow Leopard.
- 64GB iPod Touch

Believe it when I see it :rolleyes:
- Mac Mini updates (...Apple has a Mac Mini? :p)
- Matte screen options for the MBP's (...got to be kidding)
- Blu-ray (...yeah right)

I'd actually love a 32GB iPhone as I've just had a sweet corporate deal come through for O2.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I expect
- Lot's of Snow Leopard stuff.
- 17" unibody MBP, same basic hardware. I'll wager there will be no matte option :mad:
- 32GB iPhone.

I hope
- Mac Pro Core i7 update (though any display-port connectivity depends on nVidia)
- Announcement of new iWork/iLife suite to be launched with Snow Leopard.
- 64GB iPod Touch

Believe it when I see it :rolleyes:
- Mac Mini updates (...Apple has a Mac Mini? :p)
- Matte screen options for the MBP's (...got to be kidding)
- Blu-ray (...yeah right)

I'd actually love a 32GB iPhone as I've just had a sweet corporate deal come through for O2.

You pretty much said it here. I would love to see the 64GB iPod Touch to go along with any 32GB iPhone. I doubt they'll be launched at Macworld, but a quiet update would be nice.

I really want to see that 17" Unibody MBP, and I am eager to see if Apple is going to F**& that one up too.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I don't see it possible that Apple will release matte option on MBP, since they would have to redesign the screen and framing around it. Unless of course, they add a coating to the glass, but this isn't true matte.

At the very least, we will get Mac Pro updates, Cinema Display updates and there will be a lot of talk about Snow Leopard.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
my predictions..

snow leopard announcements..
possible iphone firmware

ilife 09 / iwork 09

iphone 32gb/ipod touch 64gb

bumps to imac specs, but no new design

mbp unibody

updated appletv and updated mini
maybe both fused into 1 device..

and that's it.. can't expect more than that :)

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I caved in and asked for a 32GB iPod Touch for Christmas even though I'd love 64GB, so I have little doubt the 64GB model will be out in January... :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.