@ Macworld

Discussion in 'Games' started by vraxtus, Jan 11, 2005.

1. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

If anyone is at Macworld (I'll be there on Thursday), post anything you see on the Doom3 demo that they're supposed to be showing there. Thanks.

2. vraxtus thread starter macrumors 65816

vraxtus

OK so the Doom3 demo was a bust... apparently Aspyr was going to have a demo for it at 3:30 but I didn't feel like staying that long... anyhow it's been a much smaller convention this year... filling only one hall (compared to the last time I went in 2000.. actually maybe 99).

So Aspyr has pretty good deals on games... CoD is $30 and the xpac is $20... SWKOTOR and Academy are $30 and $20 respectively, and many other games are quite cheap... unfortunately MW has really changed since I've been there...

3. benpatient macrumors 68000

so i just notice that in this review: http://www.imgmagazine.com/previews/view.php?ID=179

• the guy made screenshots at 800x600...

• he didn't mess with the graphics settings because it crashed when he did

• he was running a dual 2.5 G5 with a 9800 XT

•*he had lots of slow-downs and says that he wanted to turn down the graphics settings

all of those things are BAD signs. The only good thing? it was a beta build of the game. They're going to have to bring the performance up a LOT or there will be some really terrible sales numbers.

If the dual 2.5 w/9800 XT is choking at 800x600 (and probably "medium" details, at that), then think what would happen on a 1.6ghz iMac G5 with that puny 5200 64mb and a big, high-resolution screen.

the reviewer talks about how there aren't any machines out there that can run D3 "all the way"...

i guess he wasn't taking the people with Athlon 64 FX's and 6800 GTs (or 6800 Ultras in SLI mode, for that matter) into account with that statement?

I've seen benches of D3 bouncing off of the 60fps cap 95% of the time at 1600x1200/Ultra quality settings.

THAT is all that D3 can throw at a computer, and top-end gaming PCs have it well under control even then. And man, is it visually impressive in those circumstances...but on a 5200 64mb?

oh boy will apple be getting it for that marketing stuff they released with the G5 iMac!

no friggin' way it's going to be playable above 800x600...

4. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Apple really should start doing some research before they say things like 'the imac G5 will run doom3'. I doubt aspyr or Id gave them permission to make such a statement.

IMHO, if doom3 runs crappy on a dual 2.5, then i blame a crappy implementation of openGL on our platform. Id has thier stuff togather. They shouldn't have much 'porting' to do. Just disable 5.1 sound (run it in stereo), reprogram the control code to not use directInput, and shazam, we should have Doom3. if this game was written in openGL, then this game shouldn't be that much of a beast. If the game sucks, it'll be apple's fault... thier crappy ogl implementation and crappy nvidia drivers (although their not so painfully crappy now).

5. applekid macrumors 68020

He was referring to trying to play the game at the highest settings to see the extra detail in textures that requires a 512 MB card (unless SLI cards can combine the VRAM...).

I swear, I don't think anybody tried Doom 3! IMG made a forum thread for people to discuss, but there's like 3 posts about how people are excited about Doom 3 being shown... :rolleyes:

According to the press release on IMG, there was supposed to be some sort of free demo disc if you purchased a game at MW. Maybe it had a Doom 3 demo? I dunno what went on with Doom 3 or people haven't posted anything about it yet.

6. vraxtus thread starter macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Well I asked the guy about a D3 demo at MW and they said it was pulled at the last minute... so no free demoes.

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

not requires...recommends. If you look at the hardocp.com benchmarks that came out when D3 was first released, you'll see that a single 6800 Ultra is capable of running it at the "512mb-level" "ultra" quality setting at 1600x1200 with FSAA AND Ansio filtering all turned on...and still averaging 50-something FPS in a game that is capped at 60fps.

I don't really know how the games deal with the 2x256MB SLI config...probably concurrently...which is sorta wasteful.

8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I was at macworld on Tuesday, and the games offering was pretty slim. Like I said in another post, gooball was the most interesting thing I saw in the games section...