Mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it any more!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tedkolb, Nov 6, 2002.

1. tedkolb macrumors newbie

Not to rain on everyones parade but,

Apple has gone completely insane!

Yes, I applaud their efforts to expand the user base by offering feature ladden and competive laptops, but at the same time they need to protect their best customers from taking a bath on purchases made just prior to huge price cuts. Where was the warning (SFMW isn't until January), where were the rebates leading up to the price drops?

I have purchased two Apple computers this year, the PowerBook G4 667 just two weeks ago, and I am completely upset that Apple had so little regard for their customers that they didn't offer rebates prior to this new price drop. _On top of that my retailer will not provide price protection and I am left holding the bag of over $500 (al least I didn't buy the 800mhz model of which I would have been out over $900).

I have tried my best to support Apple by voting with my pocket book but I can not take this kind of disregard towards the very customers who keep Apple in business year in and year out (namely the REPEAT Macintosh buyer).

Apple can count on one thing in the future, I will be calling 1-800-WWW-DELL before I purchase my next computer, at least they provide 30 days of price protection for their customers. _ _ :mad:

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

There have been numerous rebates leading up to this refresh. Besides, if you frequent MacRumors, you had to know something was coming soon. ;)

I bought my 400MHz PowerBook a couple of weeks before the 667 model was released...oh well, I took advantage of the rebates and got a decent machine.

3. dricci macrumors 6502a

Um, this is how it has always been. You knew that before you made the purchase. If you were not comfortable with this policy, you should not have made your purchase.

Don't go crying Dell here, because nobody really cares. If you really want a new PowerBook, put your current one on eBay, and use what you get plus a few hundred extra to get a new one. If you don't want to do that, then be quiet and enjoy your semi-new Machine.

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I waited and watched, watched and waited. I knew what I wanted and the second that was released today, I bought. I won't be mad if they offer something else later, I got what I wanted now.

5. vniow macrumors G4

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't know, I only remember being born once.

7. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

this is called technology. you need to know that when you buy your computer, it will not be the fastest in the market forever. someone has to be the last to buy before an update. what i dont like is when the same people who complain about apple being "so far behind" in technology and how macs are so overpriced, complain when apple updates their line with better and cheaper products.

i am sorry if im sounding a little angry, but honestly, your computer is just as fast as when you bought it two weeks ago, which means it still does what you need it to do. sure its not the fastest, but sh*t happens. be happy with what you have and if you choose to buy your next computer from dell, thats your own prroblem.

8. tedkolb thread starter macrumors newbie

Understand one thing, if I had purchased two months ago or if Apple had released the new Powerbooks in January then C’est la vie. But I just spent $2499 exactly two weeks ago on a computer that today is $1999 (or lower if I was to search around). Hell, if someone bought the 800mhz model on Monday for $3199 they would be looking at a significant improvement in features for $2299 today. And everyone here thinks thats just the way it goes. You all clearly have much more money to burn than I.

Power_CPU: - What rebates? Are you referring to the $400 if I would have purchased an external 17" LCD for $999?

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

sorry to hear that...I'm sure you're upset... and I know you just may be venting...

But for future reference... lately, Apple's been upgrading machines every 6-9 months.

This means, you should always look at when the most recent upgrade was... if it's 6-9 months ago... then you should wait if you can.

arn

10. diorio macrumors 6502a

Re: Mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it any more!

Umm, I knew that they were going to drop the price and I don't even own a Mac. Maybe a little more research on it would be the better road next time.

11. tedkolb thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it any more!

The rumor sites weren't even sure about what was going to be announced up till yesterday.

And for all the rest of you, what was the date of the first rumor about this price drop/upgrade. I ordered on October 21.

12. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

First off, these releases have been imminent for 6 weeks, much discussed, and with these dates rumored for about 3 weeks, so, you deserve what you got, as you obviously know where to find macrumors. Secondly, as you're a newbie here, I have seen these rumors on virtually every Mac site over the last month, with similar thoughts. You should always do a half hour of research before dropping $2500. Caveat emptor.

On a happier note, unless you're really silly you bought this with a credit card. Many credit cards offer 30/60/90 day price protection, and now would be a good time to read all that fine print you skipped...make sure you wait until close to the end of the period to increase the disparity!

Should you decide to go Dell in the future, what you gain in price protection, you'll lose in quality (of build and service). I have a Dell Laptop which has gone on 8 visits to Dell. The best one was where I sent it in for screen service, and they returned my flaky screen cracked beyond repair. I have watched many companies I've worked with go through similar [D]hell. I would recommend that if you do leave Apple, you buy a ThinkPad, as they are likely the most reliable of the PC laptops.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Re: Re: Mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it any more!

There actually where a lot of them... a bit disjointed:

http://www.macrumors.com/searcharticles.php3?searchterm=powerbook

But... here's the rumor summary that I posted on September 20, 2002:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/09/20020920015537.shtml

after this summary was posted, more tidbits came in - first for the 3rd week of October... then finally the November 5th date.

arn

14. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've found that the rumor boards have been pretty good at coming up with about when the new upgrades will be out. Don't take it out on Apple, I'm sure you're going to be happy with the Mac you have, and yes most of us would probably be just as upset - if we didn't know about the pending upgrade. So, take this as an expensive lesson in buying a computer, and next time when you're in the market for a new machine, come by and ask for advice about buying. There have been numerous 'Should I buy now or wait' threads.

Good luck

D

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I feel bad for you and all... When i got my first powerbook G3 a new one came out a week and a half after i got it. But look at it this way: If you DO know whats up in the computer industry, you know you get a mac as soon as it comes out and its not out dated for 8 months or so.... If you ask me this is better than the PC market where you buy a new computer and its oudated in 3 weeks EVERY TIME

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, cuz PCs never get updated. I hope you're joking about this, because WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF COMPUTING. Some people have very legitimate gripes, but you just seem to be b*tching over nothing. What do you want Apple to do, tell everybody when they're going to next upgrade their products so NO ONE buys the "old" model? You have a nice machine that will keep you going for a good long time, and when Apple finally ships the new 867s, you'll have had your machine for a good month. Money doesn't grow on trees, but some people should be so lucky.

Hate to quote a cartoon, but since you're acting like such a child (and you are, don't go looking for this kind of sympathy here), in the words of Eric Cartman "quit yer b*tching". :mad:

People, this is a whiner. Some people, sheesh. Get over it.

Wherfore art thou Alpha.

18. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Dude, you wear a pocketbook? Just kidding. I know how you feel. It's happened to the best of us. That's why I scour the rumor sites now before I buy ANYTHING. Remember, there's always eBay. Sorry about your experience. You still own a very nice computer and should use just as you had planned.

19. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

man.. shut up. If you had a brain in your head you'd of waited, unless you needed it right away. And if you needed it right away, well, you couldn't of gotten a new one anyway!

20. jadariv macrumors regular

I am sorry I opened this thread. I scanned through all the postings and just got more and more mad. Everybody seems to be missing the point. This guy just spent a good deal of money and within two weeks could have saved $500. This is a lot of money. A company like apple who guards their releases like they do (and don't start with the watch the rumors site crap, because you would be sitting around forever trying to make any real release dates out), they should offer some sort of price protection. I think this is a totally legitimate to ask.

They should give price protection BECAUSE they are so secretive.

And no, they wouldn't be giving away their precious release date so no one will buy an existing laptop.

It would give mac buyers a little more comfort in buying current equipment knowing that they have at least a little bit of a buffer if a new release comes out. I think they would sell more computers if they did this because you wouldn't have all the bozos on these rumor sites saying they have to wait and wait and wait (cuz they don't want to get burned).

Although I've never had the problem this guy had, I am with you and I would be mad too.

21. MacSlut macrumors 6502

I disagree

You purchased your PowerBook based on the price of the product at the time and the value it had for you. You made the decision because it made sense. Without a relative comparison, you would be happy with the purchase.

It may be a good idea to purchase from stores or with credit cards that have price protection, OR... don't look back after the purchase.

What exactly is Apple supposed to do? Refund money for people who made purchases 1 week before the announcement? Oh, you would've just missed that! 2 weeks before? There you go, but oh, someone just missed it...3 weeks, 4 weeks.... where does the line become acceptable?

Just curious, but how could you possibly not know that new PowerBooks were coming?

22. jadariv macrumors regular

He's not a loser that combs rumor sites 24/7. That's probably how he didn't know.

23. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

You're right, he's not a loser.. just an ignorant consumer who came here bitching and moaning because his head was too far up his own ass to make an intelligent purchase. Glad we straightened that out...

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Gimme a break. It's been all over the front pages of every rumor site for at least a month.

Own up to your lack of foresight, don't blame Apple.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Maybe it would be better if Apple never updated their computers ever. They just stayed exactly as they were now. Oh wait, no it wouldn't. That would be horrible. Look at how much we complain now because they don't update often enough. I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for someone who has a brand new computer.

He made as informed a decision as he could at the time. Eventually Apple was going to update the line. Yeah it sucks for him, and $500 is a lot of money, but there's nothing he can do about it. Let it go man, accept it and enjoy your new computer. You can buy something the day after it's announced, and something better can come along the very next day. You never know.

Don't blame Apple because you wanted a computer and didn't feel like waiting any longer (how could you have known how long to wait anyway?). If you came here to complain about how unfair this is, you can see you've come to the wrong place. Hind sight is 20/20, but nobody told you to buy anything. Nobody tricked you or scammed you.

Notice how lighthearted everyone else seems when they talk about the same thing happening to them. It's just a computer, a tool. Feel stupid for a little while about how you almost had some thing better for less, and get over it. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Lets see how you like your new Dell 31 days after you buy it, and something way better comes along for much less.

That is, if it still works.