Mad Catz Debuts 'C.T.R.L.i' Wireless iOS 7 Game Controller

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 24, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Gaming peripheral company Mad Catz has debuted its C.T.R.L.i iOS 7 gaming controller at Mobile World Congress 2014, reports Engadget. The offering from Mad Catz brings yet another choice to the iOS gaming controller market that saw the release of the SteelSeries Stratus last month and the Logitech PowerShell and MOGA Ace Power last year.

[​IMG]
    Similar to the Stratus, the C.T.R.L.i can connect to any iOS 7 device through Bluetooth instead of using a Lightning port, and includes a spring-loaded mount that can be used with the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, and iPhone 5c. The controller itself is based on Mad Catz's popular MLG Pro Circuit Controller for the Xbox 360, and features console-style controls such as a directional pad, two analog sticks, four face buttons, shoulder bumpers, and left and right triggers. The C.T.R.L.i's Bluetooth capabilities also allows connectivity for up to four controllers.

[​IMG]
    At the current point in time, multiple games offer iOS 7 controller support, including titles like Rayman Fiesta Run, Dead Trigger 2, and Asphalt 8: Airborne. Additional developers have also pledged to build controller support into their apps now that hardware is available to consumers, as more iOS games appear to be receiving updates that enable game controller support.

The Mad Catz C.T.R.L.i iOS 7 gaming controller will be available for $80 in April, and will come in colors of black, white, red, blue, and orange.

Article Link: Mad Catz Debuts 'C.T.R.L.i' Wireless iOS 7 Game Controller

2. macrumors newbie

jayden

Love my M.M.O.7 - I'm sure this thing will work great.

3. macrumors 601

Icaras

Likewise, liking my Stratus controller a lot. Just wishing they would release the white controller stateside.

Oh and Gameloft, please update Asphalt 8 so that controllers work in menus too please? Thank you very much.

4. macrumors 6502a

Zeov

this is great!

but sadly going way to slow

5. macrumors 65816

Interested. I wonder if it will work with the ipad 3, my understanding is that the steelseries bluetooth does not. (I suspect it is an apple ios limitation, vs a controller limitation however....)

There should be same good choices when I upgrade to my next ipad in a year or so....

6. macrumors regular

This MFI controller looks like the best one yet due to the holder on top to place your phone while you play instead of making the controller a really long rectangle.

Too bad they still are charging a ludicrous $70 - $80 for these controllers. I'll wait for the next few generations when the prices drop somewhere between $40 - $50.

7. macrumors 68030

all this seems a step backwards to the 80's. So clunky.

8. macrumors 6502a

I used to like Mad Catz, but they took an age to support Mavericks with M.O.U.S. 9 and I've switched to Roccat, they have much better OS X software.
    This gamepad is nice but I will buy Stratus.

9. macrumors Core

Dagless

Looks like a cheap knock-off Xbox 360 controller.

10. macrumors 65816

you can already use your ps4 controller for your phone...

11. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Not to mention that for typical platformers, the XBOX controller layout is inferior to that of the DualShock.

12. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

Someone else who thinks playing games with a controller on iPhone is stupid?

13. macrumors 6502a

this belongs into the same category as smartwatches - Stupid & Useless

14. macrumors regular

Without jailbreaking?

15. macrumors 6502

mfi-controller-support for rayman - fiesta run ? really?

the controller looks good, tough.

16. macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Agree! I love that another controller is being released, but it's going agonisingly slowly, I thought by now there'd be 10s of controllers on the market easily. Still waiting for the perfect one, not yet taken by the ones available yet, but I'm sure it's coming, just a bit longer to wait.

What's the point of these comments? To make those of us who actually think they're interesting products feel bad about ourselves and our opinions, or to bolster your own opinions of yourselves, or both?

It blows me away that people feel compelled to go into a thread just to drop a flaming turd in the room because you don't see the point and this isn't interesting to you. If it's not a topic you find interesting, I've got a suggestion ...

17. macrumors 6502a

RightMACatU

Not $99, not buying... Wait a minute!? LOL!

$80 seems reasonable. Considering that they probably won't sell millions of units, production cost will be higher than let's say a PS3/4 controller.

18. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Looks like the best iOS controller I've seen yet, not that that's saying much.

19. Guest

Sky Blue

Looks good, but not paying $80 for it.

20. macrumors 6502a

We're going to have to disagree on that one son. ;)

----------

I'm interested in this one because it looks like maybe my iPhone with Mophie case would actually fit in that holder.

21. macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

If I wanted to slap some accessories on my phone just to play a game, I might as well bring use a PSP which is smaller than this controller. Or wait and play xbox or PC later.

I cant imagine the market sustaining too many of these ios controllers for too long..

22. macrumors member

Ivan0310

No. Which is the whole issue--for those of us that want a PnP product that doesn't require jacking with the phone's OS, we'll have to wait for the fruits of this program.

23. macrumors 65816

You had me at...

Wait...

$80?!?!?

What?

<clicks next thread>

Good luck with that.

24. macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Because play games on the phone with controller is pointless. If I am going to get a mobile game player, I would get PSP or PS Vita. Lots more interesting games and more comfort to use than iPhone with Mi-Fi controller.

Also I would rather playing FPS, racing games, PRG games on xBox or PS or PC. Bigger screen always means better gaming experience.

25. macrumors 6502a

Sven11

After 'C.T.R.L.i' we can expect 'A.L.T.i" and 'Delete.i'.