Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gaming peripheral company Mad Catz has debuted its C.T.R.L.i iOS 7 gaming controller at Mobile World Congress 2014, reports Engadget. The offering from Mad Catz brings yet another choice to the iOS gaming controller market that saw the release of the SteelSeries Stratus last month and the Logitech PowerShell and MOGA Ace Power last year.

madcatz_ctrli_2-800x498.jpg
Similar to the Stratus, the C.T.R.L.i can connect to any iOS 7 device through Bluetooth instead of using a Lightning port, and includes a spring-loaded mount that can be used with the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, and iPhone 5c. The controller itself is based on Mad Catz's popular MLG Pro Circuit Controller for the Xbox 360, and features console-style controls such as a directional pad, two analog sticks, four face buttons, shoulder bumpers, and left and right triggers. The C.T.R.L.i's Bluetooth capabilities also allows connectivity for up to four controllers.

madcatz_ctrli_1-800x502.jpg
At the current point in time, multiple games offer iOS 7 controller support, including titles like Rayman Fiesta Run, Dead Trigger 2, and Asphalt 8: Airborne. Additional developers have also pledged to build controller support into their apps now that hardware is available to consumers, as more iOS games appear to be receiving updates that enable game controller support.

The Mad Catz C.T.R.L.i iOS 7 gaming controller will be available for $80 in April, and will come in colors of black, white, red, blue, and orange.

Article Link: Mad Catz Debuts 'C.T.R.L.i' Wireless iOS 7 Game Controller

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Likewise, liking my Stratus controller a lot. Just wishing they would release the white controller stateside.

Oh and Gameloft, please update Asphalt 8 so that controllers work in menus too please? Thank you very much.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Interested. I wonder if it will work with the ipad 3, my understanding is that the steelseries bluetooth does not. (I suspect it is an apple ios limitation, vs a controller limitation however....)

There should be same good choices when I upgrade to my next ipad in a year or so....

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
This MFI controller looks like the best one yet due to the holder on top to place your phone while you play instead of making the controller a really long rectangle.

Too bad they still are charging a ludicrous $70 - $80 for these controllers. I'll wait for the next few generations when the prices drop somewhere between $40 - $50.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I used to like Mad Catz, but they took an age to support Mavericks with M.O.U.S. 9 and I've switched to Roccat, they have much better OS X software.
This gamepad is nice but I will buy Stratus.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
mfi-controller-support for rayman - fiesta run ? really?

the controller looks good, tough.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
this is great!

but sadly going way to slow

Agree! I love that another controller is being released, but it's going agonisingly slowly, I thought by now there'd be 10s of controllers on the market easily. Still waiting for the perfect one, not yet taken by the ones available yet, but I'm sure it's coming, just a bit longer to wait.

Someone else who thinks playing games with a controller on iPhone is stupid?

this belongs into the same category as smartwatches - Stupid & Useless

What's the point of these comments? To make those of us who actually think they're interesting products feel bad about ourselves and our opinions, or to bolster your own opinions of yourselves, or both?

It blows me away that people feel compelled to go into a thread just to drop a flaming turd in the room because you don't see the point and this isn't interesting to you. If it's not a topic you find interesting, I've got a suggestion ...

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Not $99, not buying... Wait a minute!? LOL!

$80 seems reasonable. Considering that they probably won't sell millions of units, production cost will be higher than let's say a PS3/4 controller.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
Not to mention that for typical platformers, the XBOX controller layout is inferior to that of the DualShock.

We're going to have to disagree on that one son. ;)

----------

I'm interested in this one because it looks like maybe my iPhone with Mophie case would actually fit in that holder.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
If I wanted to slap some accessories on my phone just to play a game, I might as well bring use a PSP which is smaller than this controller. Or wait and play xbox or PC later.

I cant imagine the market sustaining too many of these ios controllers for too long..

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
You had me at...

Wait...

$80?!?!?

What?

<clicks next thread>

Good luck with that.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Agree! I love that another controller is being released, but it's going agonisingly slowly, I thought by now there'd be 10s of controllers on the market easily. Still waiting for the perfect one, not yet taken by the ones available yet, but I'm sure it's coming, just a bit longer to wait.

What's the point of these comments? To make those of us who actually think they're interesting products feel bad about ourselves and our opinions, or to bolster your own opinions of yourselves, or both?

It blows me away that people feel compelled to go into a thread just to drop a flaming turd in the room because you don't see the point and this isn't interesting to you. If it's not a topic you find interesting, I've got a suggestion ...

Because play games on the phone with controller is pointless. If I am going to get a mobile game player, I would get PSP or PS Vita. Lots more interesting games and more comfort to use than iPhone with Mi-Fi controller.

Also I would rather playing FPS, racing games, PRG games on xBox or PS or PC. Bigger screen always means better gaming experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.