Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geislert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
OFallon Il
I bought a Mac Mini Solo off eBay last month. I have been happy with the machine but the drive failed today so I called Apple. They verified that it was still in the 90 warranty BUT wouldn't replace the machine or allow it to be serviced by mail; (its a desktop machine :confused:). Why should it matter where I bought it if its a genuine Mac within its warranty period....

They said they would work on it if I took it to an authorized dealer; sorry I don't want to drive 25 miles to St Louis and look for the Apple store.

I'll fix the machine and put a larger drive in instead of wasting time replacing a 60gig drive but I am not about to buy another Apple product anytime soon.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Well if you open it up you then void the warrantee on it. So I would suggest you take it the store and have them replace the drive

geislert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
OFallon Il
I don’t want to waste time and money to find a store when Apple should have taken care of the problem.

Hmm. Guess I voided the warranty adding the 1Gig of Ram in a couple of weeks ago if that is true.

Apple said they don’t handle desktop systems through mail/UPS/FEDEX.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I don’t want to waste time and money to find a store when Apple should have taken care of the problem.

Hmm. Guess I voided the warranty adding the 1Gig of Ram in a couple of weeks ago if that is true.

Apple said they don’t handle desktop systems through mail/UPS/FEDEX.

i find that really hard to believe... i would call again, its just a phone call.

geislert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
OFallon Il
I may still do that; Customer Service talked to Customer relations and they said there was nothing more they are willing to do.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
They said they would work on it if I took it to an authorized dealer; sorry I don't want to drive 25 miles to St Louis and look for the Apple store.

I had to drive 100 miles from Rolla, MO to the Apple Store in STL, you have it much easier ;)

grafikat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2003
It's a risk you take when buying something like new computer equipment on eBay. I only buy from authorized dealers or Apple themselves, just to avoid this type of situation. There's usually a reason why a new machine is being sold on eBay for under cost. Trying to get a deal often will cost you more in the end. (I've been "eBaying "since '98, so this is not an idol observation.)

FWIW, I think that 25 miles for support is actually a gift. My closest apple store is 40 miles away.

Now, for used apple equipment, if you do your research, eBay can be swell. I've bought and sold used systems there quite a bit.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hmmm... Your seller should take care of you on this... wait - you bought it off some anonymous dude on eBay. Whoopsie.

The Apple warranty is not an onsite warranty. If you don't want to drive it, then send it by courier to your nearest service depot. Just like almost every other product in the world, unless you buy on-site coverage, it's the customer's responsibility to get the product back to the service depot. UNlike most companies, Apple often allows the warranty to be transferred to a second purchaser, even though it is actually only obligated to cover the original purchaser. http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/hardware.html

Save your rage and indignation for something truly important.

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
Thats kinda bs especially if they can verify that you're within the 90 day warranty. They should cover it and replace/repair it, I'd call again and try to get some manager or someone higher than the phone answerer

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
i laugh at your 25 miles... the closest apple repair is 184 miles, just under 300 to the nearest apple store... desktop systems are not handled through the mail. the way it's always been as far as i know.

i would complain, but it actually gains me lots of repair business (fixing computers) as no one really wants to drive that far for support. :)

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
25 miles is not much more then across town for me, Apple never handles desktop systems thru mail in service. Only portables.

Get the AppleCare and get onsite or take it to the repair center. Sorry you feel the way you do about how Apple has handled it in your eyes, I fail to see where they did anything wrong here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.