Madden 07 (All Platforms)

Discussion in 'Games' started by clayj, Aug 21, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Let the Maddenoliday begin!

I just picked up my copy... Xbox 360 version, Hall of Fame Edition. I normally wouldn't've sprung for the extra stuff (it's $10 more), but apparently this is going to be the LAST year that the EA football game carries the Madden moniker. I've heard he's retiring after this football season, and next year it'll be called EA ESPN 08 or some such nonsense. (I'd go with "NFL 08", myself. Keep it simple.)

Anyway, about to pop the game in now... will report back later!

2. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I also picked mine up last night, at around 12:10, and was home playing it 15 minutes later. I was surprised to see there was around 50 people in line, but thank god i had already paid for mine so I was in the "V.I.P" line and it only took me 5 minutes. The game plays solid. I've been playing NCAA for some weeks now and to me the gameplay is similiar. I.E. the tackles, the receptions, sacks, and other type of moves. In comparison to last years Madden 06, there is no comparison what-so-ever. It's almost like night and day with 06 and 07. One of the things that kinda gets me is that some of the text is blurry to me. I have perfect vision, but I gotta really look at "Chambers" under the player when hes lined up at the line of scrimmage (because the name looks are crammed up) a little bit harder than I had before. This also happens when you play the mini games and its hard to see the score. I think this happens because I DO NOT HAVE AN HDTV, and this game looks like itll look alot better in HD. I'm at work and still half asleep because I played until real late, so I guess thats my cheap review..

4. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

AJ, have you noticed any "hesitation" while playing the game? I've noticed that from time to time, the graphics (like when a play ends and the new play selection doohickey comes up) will pause very briefly.

The game play is AWESOME, though, and the graphics are beautiful. This is definitely a quantum leap past Madden 06.

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

LOL! I was coming here just to post a Madden thread and see if clayj had it yet...and of course he does! :D

I'll be picking mine up at lunch. Any info you can share to make the time pass faster would be great, clayj!

So who's up for some online play, or...dare I say it...a league? :eek:

6. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I know exactly what your talking about clayj. You described it perfect. I see myself hitting the start button, or A button to speed things up, but that does'nt seem to help. Even though it only pauses briefly, it was something I noticed right away. It kind of reminded me of the NCAA 07 demo, but when I got the actual NCAA game it did'nt happen anymore. I guess its one of those things that we will get used to eventually. I also agree with you that the gameplay is beautiful. I was able to play one game online and there wasnt any lag for me which was impressive, because we all kno how those darn EA servers can be..

clayj, did you notice the text thing I was talking about in my past post?

I'll be home around 5, so if anyone wants to play hit me up with gamertag: AJ Muni

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

How is it so far.....is it worth the purchase or should I just 06 and add rookies to the mix?

You answered already...opps.....so whats new to the fold this time?

Bless

8. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Well off the bat there are some new additions to the "next gen" game. I speak on behalf of the 360, because I think some of the new features added to the 360 version were availiable last year for madden (ps2, xbox, etc.) They have superstar mode, which you create your player from birth. You pick parents, pick a position, go to the combine, get drafted, play in the NFL, and if your good enough make it to the Hall of fame. They also about 6 mini games which were absent last year (running challenge, passing, 40 yard dash, benchpress, and some other ones but I forgot). And also from what I see they've emphasized alot on the running game. If you choose a running play, you can be a lead blocker (fullback, tackle, or tightend) and block your way for your tailback. Thats pretty fun for me becuase I've always been a fan of running the ball. Thats my cheap review part 2...:D

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

That sounds really nice......whats with the grow from birth option though....are you allowed to play high school/college/pro ball with him?....take him to school get him good grades? ......sounds real interesting but whats the benefit for playing through this option?

Picking parents too huh........mind races;)

Bless

10. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Its alot to type, so I'll just post it from the ign.com review.

11. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, I have it, too. The answer is that there is a sort of grid in front of the scoreboard banner (I guess to make it look cooler). The grid makes the numbers a bit hard to read even at 720p or 1080i.

12. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I'm having a hardtime understanding how a league can work with sports game...any1 want to throw in their 2 cents? And if it sounds good..any1 wanna create one?

13. KafkaWasRight macrumors newbie

I've been thinking about grabbing this since I've been in the mood for a sports game, but I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it...I haven't played a football game since Tecmo Bowl on the NES! I have a feeling I'll be out of my league.

14. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i have Madden06 for 360, its one of the first 2 games i got, along with PGR3. it was a great game and Madden07 will probably be too. i'll get it if it becomes a Platinum Hit or whatever for $20.

15. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Even though I own the 360, my roommate is going to buy this game. He is a huge Madden fan. He has a regular Xbox, but it was worth buying the 360 version because (I would hope) it is better and I also have live for him to play online. I personally haven't ever played a video football game, just too much to know and I never played nor watch football.

16. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I played around at lunch...quite a bit of fun!

Madden, gameplay-wise, is nearly identical to NCAA 07, which is a good thing in my book. It plays very well. Graphics are great. I haven't had any time to drill down into any depth as to the other features, such as the mini games or Superstar mode.

Regarding leagues, in the most simpliest version everyone takes a team and the default rosters, generates a schedule, and then plays another league memeber. Some games facilitate this within the game itself, but I don't think Madden on the 360 does. (League stats, message board, ability to trade players, draft, etc.)

17. MS bulldog macrumors regular

what's up with the fatigue meter? its like the guys are robots...don't they get tired?

18. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

There's a known bug in the software right now that prevents them from either getting tired, or from SHOWING that they're getting tired. EA has acknowledged this and has promised a patch soon.

I hope that they can also fix this "stuttering" issue, as well... the menus and such frequently delay by a fraction of a second during transitions.

19. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Impressions...only as Abulia can do em!

I'm known for some detailed reviews around here. Bask in my impressions on Madden 07. :D

I picked up Madden yesterday and spent about five hours with the game. I don't proclaim to be an expert by any means, but I have played football games/sims for close to two decades -- including Madden -- so take that for what it's worth. Consider these impressions versus an actual "review."

First, it goes without saying that Madden 07 for the 360 is a beautiful game that raises the bar even further. The on-field playing experience of football is tight, responsive, and fun. Where Madden "drops the ball" is in nearly every other aspect of the game.

Starting up you'll be confronted with the interface. Perhaps I'm getting dumber as I age, but every year the Madden interface gets harder and harder to navigate and use. Madden 07 is the worst to date, IMO, as the pop-up menu shows everything available, regardless of where you are. Prior versions loaded you into sandboxes, like loading up Franchise mode, while the current version lets you bounce out to "Play Now" from "Franchise" or "Superstar" modes. Another annoying thing are the transitions that, while cool, lock up the interface until they're done. So you'll get a prompt to press A to quit but can't do anything until the menu transition finishes drawing. It's flash over usability. And while you may think I'm being pedantic, consider that you'll be maneuvering through *thousands* of menus during your time playing Madden -- it gets old quick.

No where is this more prevalent than in Superstar mode. Superstar mode, as you know, lets you make your own football character and role-play their career. In starting it you pick his parents and then progress to the next screen to see what position you were given. This is annoying. If I want to play a wide receiver I have to select two parents -- at random -- press A to advance, see that I got stuck with LT and then X for the menu, go to "Load Superstar," confirm w/ A that I want to quit, then go back to "New Superstar" and A again to acknowledge the Superstar intro menu. Then I'm given two random parents and start the exercise *all over again* until you get the position you want. There is no way to back out to parent selection to choose again without quitting and restarting Superstar Mode. So, if you want to play a specific position -- and we all do -- prepare for lots of frustration.

My dislike of the interface really colors the entire Madden experience.

Continuing with Superstar mode you get to make your character and choose pre-made heads -- a shocking change from Tiger Woods or Fight Night Round 3 where you have total control over your avatar -- and outfit your Superstar. Next to the Calendar menu where you'll spend most of your time. You sign an agent out of six to choose from -- the same six every time -- and then go to workouts. These are the mini games.

The mini games are nice diversions but you have to do them if you want a good superstar. And you have to do them well. That means if you have no interest in the mini games (like me) then you have to learn how to play them in order to make a good Superstar. Why can't I just skip all that and get a Superstar that I want?

Anyhow, the 40 yard dash requires you to manipulate the two analog sticks simulating running legs. It's interesting at first but after 30 or so tries becomes repetitive and annoying. The bench press is a bit more tactical and fun. The position-specific drills will vary to your tastes. The defensive pass coverage, for example, is just plain hard. The CPU cuts on a dime and you'll find yourself flailing out there, being ineffective. Playing as a wide receiver is a bit more interesting, as you have cut moves and can call for the ball, and of course the CPU sticks to you like glue. You're scored on the minigames which somehow generates overall stats for your character. I say "somehow" because I've no idea what my character's stats are. There's no way to check (that I can find).

There's an e-mail option that sends pre-made messages to you, multiple choice Q/A with reporters, and a ten question IQ test. They're all cute the first time but after that, pointless and annoying. (Mechanically they determine your Superstar's outlook based on how you answer press questions, for example.)

You'll do the tryouts several times and the NFL combine. Eventually you'll reach Draft Day which is, like everything else in Madden, stale and boring. The screen pops up and says "You've been selected in the 3rd round by the Kansas City Chiefs" or whatever team. There's no pomp and pageantry, there's no thrill of seeing people go before you, just a dialog box that pops up. In fact I don't think there's any way to tell when you were picked beyond the round. So, for example, there doesn't appear to be a way to find out if you were the #1 pick in the draft.

Madden 07 has no soul.

The games are where disappointment turns to outright frustration. Each position, apparently, has its own camera.

Oh wait, the in game camera. There's one and you can't change it. More on this later.

...Anyway, each position has its own camera. The problem is that the camera view is *way too tight*! For example, on the WR the camera is so close you can see for about 10 yards around you. This isn't nearly enough to find a seam in the zone or worse, run towards the passing circle that suddenly appears on the ground 20 yards behind you. (You'll never see it.) It's an exercise in frustration.

Thinking it was just the WR, I made a Superstar HB. Same problem, but worse. Now you're behind the line of scrimmage but the tight camera view doesn't even let you see the tackles! Grrr!

Hike! The ball is snapped and you're immediately tackled by a defensive end that you never saw coming or had a chance go avoid.

Now I've only had a chance to try two positions but the Superstar mode -- much like the first player mode in NFL 2K series -- is a total bust. Sadly it was the feature I was most looking forward too.

Online play is there, but very basic. You can play online. That's it. No league support, no fantasy drafts (online or offline) or any way to play with your buddies in an online league. You can, in a franchise, invite online players to take over the opposing team but this seems like a weak gimmick at best. Why would I let a total stranger, for example, take over the other team in my Franchise mode and start raining down on me with cheese plays?

Now, onto the "bugs" you've heard about. Yes, fatigue does work and no, the game doesn't display it correctly (at all). That's not a big deal, IMO. The HoF "bug," however, is damn annoying. As your Madden Level increases (tied to your profile) you'll unlock HoF players who *are automatically added to the game's rosters.* That means that if you start a Franchise at level 8 you'll have 7 HoFers in the Free Agency pool for any team to take. Ditto with Superstar mode. The tactic is to manually load the default rosters before starting any Franchise or Superstar game to avoid having it littered with HoF players. (I'd link to the exact instructions by EA on how to do this but I'm feeling lazy at the moment.)

Speaking of lazy, the "manual" -- and I hesitate to call it that -- is your classic EA offering. It's barely 8 pages long and does nothing more than show the default controls.

Franchise mode is the other mode and the one I've spent the least time in. There's not much to talk about, as there's no fantasy draft, no owner mode, and none of the other features of years past, such as ESPN Radio or the newspaper clips. It's pick your team, wrestle with the interface, and play. That's it.

And this really gets to the point that I was speaking about earlier: Madden 07 has no soul. It's...boring. It's not a bad game, per say, but there's nothing that jumps up and grabs you and says "play me!" After year's past offerings its just a shallow copy of what its been before.

Gameplay, however, is where Madden shines. Presentation, unfortunately, is lacking.

The game of football in Madden *is* fun and feels good. The controls are responsive and the gameplay feels accurate. In fact, if you've played NCAA 07 -- warts and all -- then you've got a good idea of what Madden on the field is like, sans the Momentum Meter. I'd say that Madden plays a tighter game of football than NCAA but there's enough difference to make the two games feel different.

One huge difference is the announcing. There is a play-by-play announcer but it's Joe Generic and so horrible that it actually has me begging for the return of John Madden's play-by-play! (Egads!) The announcer seems to try to mimicking a radio program, as he sounds like he's talking to us through a tin can and piece of string.

The game lacks soul.

The new lead blocking feature is pretty nifty and although I'm not good at it, I like it. The vision cone ability returns but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to turn it on (not that I'd want to). Did I mention how much I hate the interface?

Like the other game modes, Madden -- on the field -- lacks soul. You score a touchdown, kick the extra point, and then head to kickoff. There's no overlay of the last drive, who scored the touchdown, time of possession. Anything. In fact I've yet to see *any* stat overlays in Madden. The game just...goes on.

That is when it doesn't...pause...constantly.

Fortunately the game doesn't...pause...during...play. Instead it pauses...when...selecting...a...play, or when doing...after...play...animations. At first you're...not...sure...the game...paused, but then you start...to...see...it...constantly. The game zooms too the scoreboard...and...pauses. It feels like Madden 07...is on...the...verge....of crashing your 360. This is Net Gen time, not...pause...time.

20. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Part 2

The on the field play is comfortable to Madden fans and I can leap in and play on All Pro, with the Saints no less, and move the ball effortlessly, having fun doing so. Where Madden bugs me is when I think about the next game and the game after that. They're all the same.

Madden has no soul.

It also has no custom camera angles (arrgh!) and the accelerate playclock -- a necessity to play 15 minute quarters -- *still* doesn't exist. Also, can anyone explain to me why, in 2006 on a 360 with a MU or the hard drive, I can't SAVE MY FRIGGIN GAME IN PROGRESS?!?!?

The nice thing about Madden 06 was that it was so bad you put it down immediately. Madden 07 is "good enough" that you won't recoil in horror the first time you play it, but after a few games you start to get the feeling that you've done all this before. Every game is repetitive and a replay of the game before. You're doing it all again. The lack of any overlays or announcing just makes Madden 07 feel like a hollow play experience.

I just want a football game with soul. Is that so hard?

21. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

SO does any one want to setup a league?? That idea sounds real cool...

22. Smallville macrumors regular

I got Madden 07 for the Nintendo DS today and barely got through half of a game (but it could be that I'm tired from work).

The DS version is not quite like a regular football game.

To start, it won't have a ton of cool features like the Superstar mode or any play-by-play and the graphics are so-so.

However, for me, it's a new way to play football. I love drawing hot routes with the stylus and truly creating my own plays. I still control the offense via the control pad and control buttons, but on defense I just choose a play and let the game go.

Calling audibles is also more interesting as I can supposedly do it via voice command (but I haven't tested it yet).

But it fills my football fix as I'm not getting the XBox version. I'm done with XBox and not buying any more games unless it's DS or when the Wii comes out.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i've got the game for 360, and i'll chime in and say that abulia is pretty accurate. i've played superstar mode (through one preseason game) and one game of franchise.

first off. you can't play the game with 2 users on the same team. this is totally absurd. my friend and i used to spoch on madden for hours at a time, and now we can't play together. so stupid and seemingly easy to avoid. but when you have a monopoly on the nfl gaming market...

second. no madden? fine, i don't care. but the announcer does sound bad. ultimately though, the audio doesn't matter a ton to me.

a few pointers/corrections about abulia's comments.

you CAN change the camera slightly in superstar mode. you can press R to pull back, and if you hold it as the ball is snapped, the camera will remain back. for one play. annoying, but it's an option. you can also press b (and maybe other buttons) to slightly shift the view. i should note that i have a strong safety going, and so that's what i'm basing it on.

speaking of positions... you don't have to exit the superstar mode to change the parents. i believe there's a button to just select new parents right there in the same screen... not sure which it is and can't test for it here at work. damn, i wish. ;)

overall, i expect the game to entertain me and keep me going through preseason of the NFL... it's not a huge step forward, for sure, but it will be fun enough to play for a while. then next year i'll blow another 60 bucks on 08 and criticize the lack of innovation again. hah.

24. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yes, you can change the parents but you have no idea what position you'll be until you accept and go to the next screen. That's my point: If I want to play a CB it's a random crap-shoot to get a CB! You have to navigate out of Superstar mode and re-enter to start the process over.

I'll try the camera adjustments. I knew about the right trigger but I'm not sure if I held it down during during the snap.

25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i can't confirm for sure, but i don't remember starting over again... it says the position at the top right i think and you can just click change parents, and look up there again... ?