maddog and Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by keeneye, Feb 8, 2007.

1. keeneye macrumors newbie

I have an older Maddog firewire HD enclosure that works fine on my gumdrop mac and every other mac I have had but for some reason when I plug it into my new Intel core duo Macbook pro it does not see it. Went to Maddog's website to look for some weirdo driver and nothing is available. Does anyone know why this will not work.I'm at wits end and need some help.
    Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Is the drive formatted in HFS instead of HFS Plus? That would cause your new Mac to not see it, especially since you said you were using it with a gumdrop Mac.

Also possible is that the Mac OS X driver isn't installed - only the Mac OS 9 driver, which the Intel Macs don't understand.

Unfortunately, the only solution to either of these problems, if either one turns out to be the cause, is to reformat the drive :(

3. keeneye thread starter macrumors newbie

hfs?

HFS I'm not familair with that, can you explain? The gunmdrop runs OSX I do not use 9. And how do you reformat?
    Thanks for your help

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Well, in that case, neither of the two possible causes I mentioned affect you. Should you attempt a reformat, this is done in Disk Utility in Mac OS X. Make sure you have any important data on the drive backed up first, since the reformatting process will also wipe out your data.

As for your HFS question, HFS and HFS Plus are what's known as filing systems. They are basically a way of describing exactly how files on a disk will be organized, much like how you organize your filing cabinets.