Made a dock from wood, don't think I need to buy one now

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kalexn, Nov 3, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I have been wanting a dock, though about legos etc. but convinced my boyfriend to help me make a dock. I LOVE how it turned out. Not the prettiest on the inside, but it was our first shot!

Here are some pictures. I put my old iPod touch in the spot because I was taking the pictures with my iPhone.

And the acoustics work too! What do y'all think?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

that looks sweet.

3. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Secure the lightning cable more, make the inside prettier, and you got a nice new product to sell. Throw it on KickStarter. Put "Handmade in __________ with natural materials" and throw around "eco-friendly" and "100% green" you two can make some cash fast

4. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

Looks nice.

5. macrumors 65816

I've been patiently waiting for ElevationLabs to update their dock for the iphone 5. I saw the other day that their solution is a $15 add on that basically allows you to use an apple made lightning cable and pass it through the dock, just like your wooden one does. I found that very disappointing.

However, I like the look of this. If I can figure out a way to secure the cable more tightly so that you could just shove the phone down onto it, I might just make me one of these. I've got some hickory and walnut in the basement I could use.

6. macrumors G5

Macman45

With a little tidying up I'd say you have a hit on your hands....I'd be up for buying one for sure, it would make a nice contrast from all the alloy on my desk!

7. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

If you don't mind sacrificing a cable, jb weld it in then put a nice soft felt down on the inside to give it a nice clean look. If I had an iPhone 5 I would start making these. I have ideas for them! Haha

8. macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Too bad I dislike homemade docks...

They'll scratch the device so hard.:D

9. macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Nice work.

Just think of the possibilities with a 3d printer too :)

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

I know! Not sure about the kickstarter but we definitely need to find a way to secure the cable. We were just trying to knock it out to see what we could do. We didn't have all the right tools to make the inside really pretty, but figured for a prototype this worked well. :)

----------

Yeah, I was thinking of what would work to secure the cable and I haven't come up with anything yet. If you think of something let me know!

----------

That is why we wanted wood, I thought it would look pretty. I want to make one that is just a stand as well for work. We need to get the right sanding tool for the inside to make it cleaner. We didn't have it at the time but wanted to see what was involved before we bought any additional tools we weren't sure we needed, haha. I think we are going to make some for Christmas gifts. :)

11. macrumors 6502

Very cool. I've been wanting to do this for a while.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

oh I like the felt idea! Yes, I do need to weld the cable down. I wonder if the felt would hurt the acoustics.

----------

I KNOW!! I can't even imagine :)

----------

I have a case :) So it doesn't and it doesn't touch the screen but I do see the worry with a naked phone.

13. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

It shouldn't hurt it to bad. But the felt can possibly dampen the sound slightly. Its a trade off. You can even just use bondo or a two part epoxy to secure the cable. I have to check the iFixit teardown, but it may help if you took the covering off of the lightning end, if you do that you have to make sure your epoxy is not metal based, a lot of them have flakes of metal to strengthen them.

14. macrumors 6502

I've seen it all now.

15. macrumors 65816

how would a nicely milled piece of wood scratch the phone any more than a milled block of aluminum? My Elevation dock doesn't scratch the phone. If you made the wooden one the right way, I don't see why it would either.

To the original poster, did your boyfriend use a router to dig out the recess where the phone sits? That was my thought. Either my router table, or a dremel with a router bit and guide.

And JB welding it in there might be fine for me. If this worked out right, I wouldn't be pulling the cable out anyway.

16. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not bad at all. A second recommendation for JB weld. That crap is the best thing ever next to craft beer that is.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

We used a dremel but just used the attachments we had on hand. Now that we know the basics he is probably going to get the correct sizes so he can make himself one :) I also want one that doesn't charge it just to sit my phone in while I am at work. I'll mention JB weld to him to see what he thinks.

18. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

JB Weld is like $6 a tube, if it seems like a waste then just buy whatever the cheapest 2 part metal based epoxy is (it'll come in two different tubes that look like mini toothpaste tubes) at my local Harbor Freight its $3 vs. $6.

19. macrumors regular

jettrue

It reminds me of a 1980's headboard above a waterbed. :)

Sorry, had to say it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I know, and I shouldn't spout this rude opinion. But that's really what these wood docks (I've seen a similar one on etsy) remind me of. :D

20. thread starter macrumors 6502

haha, no offense taken. I can actually totally see your point and where you get that from :) Although, if the wood was lighter it would be a dead ringer for it!

I don't think any dock can top Apple's white, simple dock as that is simplicity at its finest. If I could shape and mold plastic into that I would do that in a heartbeat!

21. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

3d printer?

22. macrumors G4

It's a machine that can build any three dimensional object from plastic. Like sculpture, mechanical parts, iPod docks, whatever... Google will tell you more.

23. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I know I was asking if this would be good to make a dock.

24. thread starter macrumors 6502

It definitely would, they are just expensive! But if you had a 3D printer you could make some pretty amazing docks with it.

25. macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I have access to a 3D printer... That's a great idea. I might have to look into this.