Made a mistake in order, cancelled...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by storage, May 28, 2006.

1. storage macrumors 6502

Jun 4, 2005
    I just realized I made a big mistake in my order for a new MacBook, and cancelled the order. And now I'm a nerve wreck, because I have no idea how I'm going to get my money back :p.

How does Apple repay the money I paid for the "mistake order"?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    How did you pay for it? Credit Card?

Depending on how fast you canceled it, they either won't charge it at all, cancel the transaction with the credit card company, or they'll refund the money to your credit card. (I think, I've never canceled an Apple order :D ).
  3. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    They don't bill your credit card until it ships.
  4. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 4, 2005
    They billed the creditcard at the same time I placed the order. At least I think so. When I check my account on my banks webpage it says "Res. köp" (köp = buy) and then the amount of money the order was for, could this mean money was reserved for the buy, and is still on the account?
  5. weldon macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2004
    Denver, CO
    There are two steps in any credit card transaction. In the first step, the charge is "authorized" by the issuing bank. In the second step, the amount is "captured" and the transfer of funds is finalized by the payment processor and banks. On your debit card, you will see the "authorization" show up and reduce your available balance. If the charge is not "captured" then the bank will release those funds back to you and your available balance will go back up by that amount.
  6. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 4, 2005
    Ah thanks, that made it very clear to me :). How much time does the bank have to "capture" the money?

Thanks again, made my heart a little calmer :).
  7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    It's also worth noting that, at least it the US, the temporary authorization (that's why my bank calls it) that Apple does is (or at least were until very recently) always for 110% of the purchase price, I assume with the theory being to cover any additional shipping or taxes for phone orders, though it's not necessary anymore since you know exactly what you'll pay at the time of order.

I ran into a nasty catch-22 with this when ordering my G5 a couple years back, because they didn't put the actual purcase "on top of" the temporary authorization (and that's NOT how it's supposed to work), so basically I needed to have twice the purchase amount in available balance to allow the transaction to complete... which I didn't. I called their finance people and explained the stupidity, and they worked it out pretty quickly, but it was annoying.

I believe they're more organized now--my MBP purchase at the begining of this month went much more smoothly.
  8. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 4, 2005
    So I would have to call Apple to get the money back? Or should I wait a few days and see if it solves itself?
  9. hoopmastaflex macrumors newbie

May 23, 2006
    The exact same thing happened to me when I ordered my MacBook. I cancelled my order and then when I went back to order what I really wanted it said my bank wouldn't authorize the transaction. What I did was I called the customer service number on my card and talked to somebody who called up apple on three way to settle things right then and there.

Normally the situation would work itself out in a matter of days but I wanted my MacBook RIGHT THEN :D .