Made a mistake on Hard Drive Purchase.... Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eyeon, May 14, 2006.

1. eyeon macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    Montana, USA

Last week, my work informed me that they would buy me a seperate HDD onto which I could back up my graphics work -- I have a fantastic enclosure which I have used numerous times to covert internal HDDs for external use, and thought that we could save some money by just buying an internal HDD. It seems however that I made a big mistake in my purchase...

The drive came today, and after opening it up, I immediately noticed that the connectors were all much different from anything I've seen... going to Seagate's website, it seems that I have accidentally ordered a serial ATA (SATA) drive when I actually wanted an ATA (PATA, IDE) drive... oops.

In order to save money and time on sending the thing back for the proper one (and, admittedly, to spare me the embarrassment of admitting I ordered the wrong thing!) is there any way to make this work in my enclosure, or anywhere for that matter?

Thanks in advance.
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Short answer - No.
    Any adaptor you might find will probably not fit physically in the case, and wil be just as much of a hassle to order as sending this one back.
  3. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    everybody makes mistakes. if explained, the company where you bought the thing would surely consider taking the wrong drive back. but don't wait. act now.
  4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    You can get adaptors to allow you to use one SATA on a PATA connection and vise versa. See my links in this thread.

Your real problem will be that space in external enclosures tends to be tight and there won't be room for any additional hardware.
  5. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2005
    Hermitage, TN USA (near Nashville)
    Maybe it is time to start using a SATA external exclosure. If you get one of those you can use the drive you just got, and take your old enclosure home for a backup hard drive.
  6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2006
  7. eyeon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    Montana, USA
    Thanks a lot for the replies and the links -- this all helps a lot! I guess I'll figure something out...