Made the Plunge, RAM + Cables?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by weatherman316, Aug 16, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Well, I finally made the plunge. 2 weeks after I got my iPhone 3G I got a Macbook Pro. That being said, what's the cheapest place to get a 4GB RAM kit? I was going to get OWC RAM from macsales, but if there's cheaper to be had I'd certainly appreciate it. Also, via monoprice, can someone link 1. a DVI->HDMI cable (I'd like to hook the computer up to my HDTV) and 2. an audio out cable so the audio will transfer from my computer to the TV.

(Normally I don't ask for links, but I want to be sure to purchase exactly the right cable)

Thanks!

2. macrumors regular

I don't know about the cable but for RAM if you are looking for cheaper than the OWC kit, I would go to Newegg. You can get 4 GB of RAM from manufacturers like Kingston for around $75 (not sure about S&H costs, make sure to check those). Just make sure if you use Newegg you know the correct specifications on the RAM.

3. macrumors 68040

queshy

Check BestBuy...Two days ago I got 2 x 2GB for $29.99 each = $60 for 4 GB ram! (this was for my iMac)

4. macrumors 6502

I have used www.crucial.com for the past 4 or 5 macs I have upgraded. They are also who the guys at the apple store have recommended (even the guys in the store tell you to get RAM elsewhere which is funny). Right now for your setup you can get 4gb for $95 + free shipping and prob no sales tax depending on where you live.

Congrats on the new laptop!

Chris

5. macrumors 68040

velocityg4

6. macrumors 68000

techound1

cyberberguys.com is good for cheap(er) cable

datamem.com is great for RAM

7. thread starter macrumors member

8. macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ go for the A-DATA as it has the best review on Newegg (well by 1% :p) and is the cheapest. the latest comment says it installed fine on a MacBook which uses the same RAM as the MacBook Pros.

9. thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231135 comes with free shipping making it cheaper before rebate.