Made The Switch! :-)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dummptyhummpty, Jul 1, 2005.

1. dummptyhummpty macrumors regular

May 4, 2005
    I finally got my fully loaded Powerbook 15". So far I love it, I can't wait till I get my dell flat screen though. I'm currently installing MS Office and must ask which is better Ical/Address Book vs MS Entourage? I use MS Outlook on my pc but I was looking forward to Ical/Address Book. I just want to say thank you macrumors for helping me make the right choice. Now I just need to copy everything over and im set. Also is there any way to change the capitalization in my home directory name. Lastly, how can I reset the dock size/magnification settings. Thanks!
  2. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2004
    I guess it depends on what you need from your PIM. If you need Exchange support, then I'd guess Entourage is your only option. If you don't, then iCal/AddressBook/Mail are very tightly integrated with each other and with MacOS X, which can make one heck of a combination.

Personally I use Mozilla Thundebird. :)
  3. SRSound macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2005
    I just made a similar post just a few days ago. This is an amazing machine - I love mine and I'm sure you will love yours. I switched from using outlook to Mail/iCal and found it to be more intuitive and useful, with far superior spam blocking! As for changing the dock, Apple menu > System Preferences > dock. OR just click the thing that looks like a light switch with an apple in your dock. Enjoy!
  4. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    If you have an ipod i'd use apples software... ical and address book, isync works instantly to put it all on you ipod. I suppose there is a way to set up entourage to do that too, but i got an apple for simplicity, and ical and address book offered this, just one click of a button and its all on the ipod.

I find apples versions easier to use as well.

Use ical and address book unless you need some features that microsoft offer.
  5. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005

Apple menu --> Dock --> Dock Preferences... :D

Don't forget to use Help menu if you need some help and Spotlight if you want to find something on your hard drive :)

15 inch PowerBook is awsome!!! but expensive... :(

I use Address Book/Mail/iPod :D
  6. dummptyhummpty thread starter macrumors regular

May 4, 2005
    Thanks every one! I do have an IPOD but I don't use it much...maybe in college. I really like Ical but Entourage's contacts seemed cooler. I have been using MS Outlook forever but I could start to use Apple's stuff. I'll have to mess with them both. Also what I meant about the dock was how can I set it back to the settings it came with when I got the powerbook, some how the size got changed to huge and I liked it how it was when I 1st turned it on. Thanks again.
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    The only thing that you can do is go to Preferences > Dock and make adjustments until you have the Dock back to the position that you prefer. Welcome as a Mac User! ;)