madison, wisconsion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jefhatfield, Nov 14, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    hey, how liberal is that city? and the college?

curious, that's all...i am a conservative democrat

my wife and i live near the super liberal uc santa cruz, a liberal arts school in the mold of the traditional liberal arts education of some more well known eastern schools, and uc berkeley, a full on multi discplinary school which infuses left wing politics into everything, including their highly ranked haas mba school

but the other night, a republican executive from madison told me that her city is far more liberal and progressive than berkeley or santa cruz and that a lot of the ideas that those two california towns and schools take credit for as their own really came from madison in the first place

is that true?
  2. pdham macrumors member

Jan 28, 2003
    I attend school here at UW and I can say it is so liberal in some senses that we have lost alot of our clout and in other arenas it is anything but liberal.

Virtually every student and professor here feels they have personal vendetta to stamp out the ills of our soceity, government and country. They are always protetesting something, boycotting someone, etc. It has gotten to the point that people rarely pay attention to rallies, protests, etc. In that way the University is losing some of its progressive power it once had. However, the education is still one of the most liberal in the country. Virtually every professor in every department is unafriad to use the classroom as a forum to promote "progressive" ideas. If you understand that going in, it is an excellent enviroment to truely develop where you stand on issues. If not, it can in a sense mold students to all think alike. Too much of a good thing can become a bad thing.

In respect to not being liberal is some areas I mean this: If you yourself are not liberal or have liberal social views you are not listened to on this campus. In a sense these self proclaimed liberals with a strong belief in opnemindness are only open minded if you agree with them. I suppose this is a condition of many liberal universities however.

As for leading the way for UC Santa Cruz and Berkley, it is a give and take. We support and extend many efforts begun in your neck of the woods and also I know of numerous student action groups that have begun here, spread to, and grown in Berkley. So I wouldnt give dominance to either school, students here more look at it as a partnership to promote the same ideas.

I am very active on my campus and am part of different committees and "liberal" research groups so these are the views and feelings I have developed during my time here.

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    thanks for the info

i an a moderate with some socially liberal tendencies (i like democratic senator dianne feinstein but i dislike ultra liberal democratic senator barbara boxer)...the ironic thing is that i went to the most conservative state school in the cal state system, and at the time, the only one of nineteen that was with a majority of republicans...but just slightly

then i went on to a private business university which was even more conservative but since business and corporate law was the main focus of the school, it is not a stretch to wonder why it was so conservative...i would say it could very well be the most conservative non parochial university in america

i did have a friend who went to a parochial university for his master's in divinity and they were so socially conservative that they were in their own category...masturbation to the point of ejaculation meant lost souls and potential geniuses like a da vinci or mozart, condoms were a form of abortion, the rhythm method, and only among a married heterosexual couple, is to be used and if the woman got pregnant, then oh well, god gave you a gift he predestined from the dawm of time anyway:p