Mag-DVI?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 7on, Oct 5, 2006.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Sooo... Just had an idea about incorporating the MagSafe feature into Macbooks. I don't know why - maybe because the mini-DVI connection is extremely tight-fitting. Meaning plugging it in and unplugging takes two hands in order to keep my macbook from flying.

I just think I'm brilliant and I just want others to awe in my brilliancy. So Mag-DVI should be the next thing Apple magnetizes. IMO

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Definitely a good idea.

Though, in altering the DVI so it was mag-tastic would require changing the pins and contacts, which would in effect make it no longer compliant with the DVI standard.

BUT, it could be apple's new DVI, and it could be great. Hell, imagine if alll our connections were magsafe. That would be raelly nifty- just grab your computer and go, literally.

3. kgarchar macrumors 6502

he didn't mean the actual dvi on the macbook pro, but the mini-DVI port on the macbook

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Right...

But i'd like to see someone come up with a usable magnet that was strong enough to pull the pins into the right place, while not bending them, and allowing it to be easily pulled out.

5. aznfreak macrumors newbie

Maybe it's your adaptor, because my mini-dvi cable fits just right. I pull it off with one hand with ease. Sometimes I even wonder if it's on snug!

6. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I was thinking about this too, pretty much every plug would be cool as a mag-safe type thing. What would REALLY be cool is if they were all electro-magnetic, so when you switched it off, all the plugs would just fall away. Eh? Eh? now YOU awe in MY brilliance!

7. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Hmm... All you would have to do is remove the pins. :rolleyes:

8. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

...thus exempting it from the DVI standard.

Unless of course you're being sarcastic, in which case.. uh... ha..haha!:eek:

9. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

is Mini-DVI even a DVI standard? I thought it was just a proprietary Apple thing to get DVI out on the small form factor of the iMac/Macbook. Meaning they could change the adapter plug.

10. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

It would obviously have to be an adapter, which means apple could do whatever they wanted with the connection.

You would have to connect the big DVI to the adapter which would have the mag in it.

11. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

12. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Might the mag connector upset the signals in the DVI cable/at the point of connection? I guess it doesn't have an affect on the power socket, but the DVI socket might be a bit more sensitive to magnetic fields. I dunno though... :confused: