Magic Eraser.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chundles, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Just picked up an 8-pack of those "Magic Eraser" sponges (they're by Chux here in Aus) and I am gobsmacked.

Apart from keeping my screen clean my iBook hasn't had a proper clean since I bought it in late 2004 and the palmrests were turning a rotten shade of yellow after two years of heavy use by big Aussie hands sweating in the summer heat.

One swipe of a Magic Eraser sponge and two years of grime is gone. Vanished. It even cleaned out some of the scratches on the base making them all but invisible. So, apart from a few minor scratches my iBook now looks just as it did when i took it out of the box on a rainy late-November day in Vancouver and took my first steps on a Mac that was all my own.

It's good to have my baby back in top form.

If anybody wants something to get their gear back to its best I highly recommend the Magic Eraser. Simply brilliant.

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I've heard those work well for erasing permanent marker from iBooks. Can you give that a review for us? :p

3. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Let me just check...

Nope, doesn't work.

Hmm, anybody want to buy an iBook? Would be great for someone who likes smiley faces drawn on things.

4. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Heh, yah, Ive been using the Magic Eraser for a while now. It does wonders on my ibook as well as my ipod. I usually go over the ibook a few times with the magic eraser and then use some iclear on a micro fiber cloth for the screen. I use the same methods for cleaning my ipod. My wireless mouse and keyboard also look like brand new after using the eraser.

gotta love it.

5. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Would one of these magic eraser things also work on a white macbook?

The palmrests on my girlfriends new MB already have some yellow tints on them! Its only 3 weeks old!:mad:

6. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

I should think so, it's seriously done wonders on my iBook, 2 years of yellow and grime is totally gone. There's no hint that it was ever dirty in the first place.

Apple also acknowledged a problem with some early WhiteBooks where the interior plastic used was too porous and got dirty very easily. It's been fixed since then though so I don't think that's the reason for your gf's MacBook to be grubby.

Have a go with the Magic Eraser and make sure your hands are clean when you use the computer.

7. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Yeah I found it odd too at first. I think it's because of moisterizer that she uses. I used a slightly damp towel with a tiny drop of dish liquid to get it clean this time. Worked great! But if this magic eraser is better I might just try it.

Any ideas where I could get one?