Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethics101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
I'm looking to buy a new bluetooth mouse. However, when I'm on the computer my hands start to sweat. I've used cheap Microsoft Mobile Mice and the paint finish comes off after a while and there is some gunk on the left click. I wash my hands almost every time before I use my computer too... How is the magic mouse in terms of durability and does it get noticeably dirty easily?

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
The Magic Mouse is durable enough for everyday use. As for keeping it clean, it's a breeze. Being there's no buttons or the like, there's no places for gunk to build up and get trapped. If you need to clean it, simply take a cloth (preferably a lint-free one), moisten it and wipe your mouse.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Just in case you're interested: There's a white Bluetooth Logitech mouse that is also being sold in the Apple store (and online). It's more a classical mouse with scroll wheel and actual mouse buttons.

I've been using it for more than three years now, it has often travelled at the bottom of my backpack without protection, and it's still running fine. The plastic on the side has some wear, and it does get dirty - it's white after all.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I don't have any issues keeping mine clean. Obviously, if your hands are quite dirty when you use it, it will probably get disgusting pretty quick. But since you wash your hands before using your computer typically, you will be fine.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Using anything for an extended period with your hands will deposit oils and dead skin cells on that object, it's unavoidable and part of human life, quite natural and not anything anyone should be overly concerned with. Even the magic mouse (which of course isn't really magic. ;)) will attract this residue.

However as others have attested to, due to its simple, largely unbroken shape it's easy to keep clean by wiping it off.

Also, excessive hand washing is really not a good thing. It can make your skin dry and parched, increasing the risk of rashes or allergies, and if you use anti-bacterial soap, liquids or other such products it will propagate bacterial resistance, making the little buggers tougher to kill and more dangerous to us. Very very bad!

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
I own two Magic Mice and they're quite durable. I also use mine regularly and haven't had a problem with them getting dirty.

wassal43

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
clearly not appropriate for you because the surface of the mouse is glass so sweat will affect the practice of scrolling and gesturing so i suggest to go to classic mouse like Logitech

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.