Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Hi guys, anyone here using magic mouse+powerpc?
I'd like to have some extra features, like the ones with better touch tool (wich is intel only).
Any 3rd party program that could work with powerpc?

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Ive not used a magic mouse, but I have used a magic keyboard. As far as connectivity and use as a mouse or a keyboard I would expect it would work just fine. Most of the function buttons on the magic keyboard do their job on Leopard.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Magic keyboard? You mean the aluminum Apple keyboards? Those came out when ever 10.4.10 was new, of course those would fully work with PPC as long as the Mac was running 10.4.10 or newer. The Magic Mouse works with Leopard fairly well. To get scrolling working you have to download an update from Apple. To get the momentum scrolling working, you need to edit a file and reconnect the mouse. I'm fairly sure there was an older version of a Magic Mouse enhancer app that works on PPC Macs.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Magic keyboard? You mean the aluminum Apple keyboards?

Yeah, at my house we call it the Magic keyboard to differentiate it from the Apple Wireless Keyboard. My son is not allowed to use my wireless aluminum keyboard, but he is allowed to use my white plastic wireless keyboard.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
To get the momentum scrolling working, you need to edit a file and reconnect the mouse. I'm fairly sure there was an older version of a Magic Mouse enhancer app that works on PPC Macs.

Thanks for the heads-up in regards to the scrolling hack, a quick google search and I now have momentum scrolling with my BT magic mouse.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Ive not used a magic mouse, but I have used a magic keyboard. As far as connectivity and use as a mouse or a keyboard I would expect it would work just fine. Most of the function buttons on the magic keyboard do their job on Leopard.

Yes I know the basic functions work well.But I wanted tapping and that stuff (I used better touch tool on the macbook)

Magic keyboard? You mean the aluminum Apple keyboards? Those came out when ever 10.4.10 was new, of course those would fully work with PPC as long as the Mac was running 10.4.10 or newer. The Magic Mouse works with Leopard fairly well. To get scrolling working you have to download an update from Apple. To get the momentum scrolling working, you need to edit a file and reconnect the mouse. I'm fairly sure there was an older version of a Magic Mouse enhancer app that works on PPC Macs.

Thanks,I didn't knew that app, will give it a try.

Thanks for the heads-up in regards to the scrolling hack, a quick google search and I now have momentum scrolling with my BT magic mouse.

Thanks for the link =)

This link works for my G5 quad, the setup is a tad convoluted but the gestures do work.

Scroll down to the bottom of the MacUpDate page for the PPC version.

Thanks for the link =)

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I have the latest keyboard (aluminium, etc, June 2012) and a G5 tower with fully updated Leopard, it works like a normal keyboard. Only, the symbols on the function keys at the top don't mean anything, and also you don't by default have any dedicated volume keys. So confirmed as working as a basic QWERTY + keypad + arrow keys + Apple key keyboard, but as far as anything else beyond Expose or Dashboard goes, out of luck. Look into SizzlingKeys. <3

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I have the latest keyboard (aluminium, etc, June 2012) and a G5 tower with fully updated Leopard, it works like a normal keyboard. Only, the symbols on the function keys at the top don't mean anything, and also you don't by default have any dedicated volume keys. So confirmed as working as a basic QWERTY + keypad + arrow keys + Apple key keyboard, but as far as anything else beyond Expose or Dashboard goes, out of luck. Look into SizzlingKeys. <3

My two battery Bluetooth Apple keyboards works with all the buttons with my G5. The brightness changes the ADC's brightness, the Expose/Dashboard buttons work, the volume changes on my Cube speakers, and the eject button opens the drive tray.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
My two battery Bluetooth Apple keyboards works with all the buttons with my G5. The brightness changes the ADC's brightness, the Expose/Dashboard buttons work, the volume changes on my Cube speakers, and the eject button opens the drive tray.

+1 mine does all this on Leopard as well.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Well, my key marked eject ejects the tray, F12 launches dashboard (which is marked as the increase volume key on the keyboard), not the F4 on the keyboard which is marked as dashboard. The F11 key which is marked as decrease volume invokes the "show desktop" expose feature, the F9 key on the keyboard, marked with the ">>" next song symbol, invokes the "show all windows" Expose command. Same as yours? F16,17,18,19, they do nothing, while they are in the places where the volume controls were located on my oldschool black Apple Pro Keyboard. Is this the same as yours?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Both my latest Apple wired and Bluetooth work correctly with Leopard on my G5 with all the keys labeled with special things doing the correct special thing. Even the Launchpad button opens Expose.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
He is having problems with the function keys because he has a 2011 wireless keyboard. This is an updated one compared to the ones that came out before.It was updated for Lion and you can tell the difference by the F3 and F4 keys I only supports 10.6 and above with the functions keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.