Magic Numpad Turns a Magic Trackpad Into a Number Pad

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 31, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For accounting majors and other Excel wizards, a numeric keypad is indispensable. Unfortunately, the Apple Wireless Keyboard that comes with iMacs these days doesn't have such a keypad. Mobee has come to the rescue with Magic Numpad, a temporary adhesive film that attaches to the Magic Trackpad and converts it into an extended numpad, a numpad + trackpad, or a numpad with user customizable keys.

The Magic Numpad includes software that is Lion and Snow Leopard compatible and could be a useful alternative to spending $49 on the Apple's full-size wired keyboard. It won't have the exact same tactile feedback as the keyboard, but for some users it might be just what they're looking for. Combined with the TwelveSouth MagicWand, it will (sort of) convert a wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad into a full-size wireless keyboard.

Article Link: Magic Numpad Turns a Magic Trackpad Into a Number Pad

2. macrumors 68000

More trash to pair with pristine Apple devices.

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

I just wish apple would make a wireless version of the full-sized keyboard. I love my full keyboard.

5. macrumors 65816

Huh, that's actually kind of neat. I wonder what the price point is though? I mean you can get a num pad for $20 or less at office max, might not be sleek and cool though :p

To be honest, if it doesn't have any texture to it, there'd be no reason to have to remove it, I could see it working just fine for each purpose!

Edit: It's $30. That's not bad I guess. Kind of a neat idea. I'll stick with my small portable one I got for next to nothing with a retractable USB cord. It's not shiny and aluminum, but it works and I can hide it's ugliness in a drawer when not in use.

6. macrumors 65816

Same here, and without the full number pad I feel like things are missing. I use the number pad often

7. macrumors 604

jmann

While this may be a neat idea, I don't see it being practical. Usually people who need the Num Pad need it for speed and accuracy, I don't see this providing either.

8. macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Useless. If you have to look at it instead of feel button separations it's pointless, as any 'accounting majors' or data entry workers (what I did years ago) will tell you. It's true a num pad it's worth it's weight in gold for speedy numbers but that's only if you can keep your eyes on the data and let your fingers do the keyboard work...

9. macrumors 68030

If you have iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, save $30 and buy one of many apps that turns iOS devices into numeric keypad, such as NumPad.

10. macrumors 6502

justinfreid

I agree, even though this is a neat use of the Magic Trackpad.
    There is the Microsoft Bluetooth Number Pad: http://amzn.com/B002NP13C4

11. macrumors 601

Icaras

Yup, that's what I have. Works just fine for me.

And if you don't have the Magic Trackpad to begin with, thats actually $100 you're saving :)

12. macrumors regular

L-U-R-C-H

13. macrumors G5

nagromme

It’s neat, but Bluetooth numpads are cheap and common, and don’t interfere with your pointing device!

14. Prodo123, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Wireless keyboard - $70
    Magic Trackpad - $70
    Twelve South Magic Wand - $20
    This crap - $30
    Estimated total - $190

Wired keyboard with numpad - $50

By god, this product saves you -$140!! Amazing!!

15. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Cool concept, but I fail to see the practicality of it, esp. if you the trackpad is your sole tracking device, plus you have to keep up with the overlay. Also if you are a hard core number cruncher, where the num pad is key, then this fails because you have to look at the numbers vs using tactile memory w/ a real keypad. If you are a causal number cruncher then the regular numbers on the keyboard are fine.

16. macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

17. macrumors regular

Hey, all you gotta do is add a dab of rubber cement over where the 5 is, and all's good ... until you need to use the track pad as a track pad.

18. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doubt that the accuracy is as good as for a regular numeric pad. Any tests/benchmarks out there?

19. macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Not sure what you're basing your opinion on coz I punch a crap load of numbers into excel sheets everyday and I have absolutely zero issues when using the iPod touch with NumPad instead of my regular keyboard. It takes a little while to get used to the fact that there is no tactile feedback anymore but there is no real need to keep looking at the iPod once you get used to it. I still prefer the physical numpad but thats mostly coz I dont have a way to keep my iPod flat on the table (thanks to the curved back) so it wobbles a bit unless I keep it on a sheet of paper/cloth. And I already have a wired keyboard with full numpad anyways. But on occasions when I dont have access to the full keyboard, numpad does the job pretty well for me.

That said, this magic numpad thing is completely useless coz you'll need to keep switching between numpad and trackpad.

20. macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

21. macrumors regular

22. macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

that would probably interfere with the capacitive touch sensors

23. macrumors member

So they reinvented this except with no tactile feedback?

I can only imagine how much my fingertips would hurt after doing a few hours of serious calculations on that thing...

Too bad apple does not make serious keyboards anymore :(

24. macrumors 6502

Yep it gets 11000 in geekbench

25. macrumors member

To be honest I'd prefer something with push down buttons so it's easier to type without looking.