Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeD.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Tampa, FL
I don't usually use my Magic Trackpad, so I leave it turned off. Looked at it today and noticed what I first thought was dust around the battery compartment opening. I wiped it off, and then realized it was from a corroded battery. I tried to open it, but it is sealed shut. Even used a large screw driver (which dinged up the cover a little) and it won't budge.

Anyone know of a way to loosen the end cap?

jewpuff

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
I've got the same problem

I didn't use my trackpad very often either. I tried to open it once to change the batteries and couldn't so I just left it. Then I noticed the same dust, from an exploded battery. I tried to use a coin to open it like it says on the apple website but it won't budge. Help anyone?

jewpuff

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
Update

Took it to the Genius Bar today. They didn't even try to open it or anything, basically told me it was ruined and I had to spend $75 on a new one because I'm out of warranty. So they did **** all. Some genius' they are. I'm pretty sure I'll get it to work if I change the batteries but have to get it open first. I'm going to keep trying and I'll update if I fix it.

I'm hoping this will help someone else in the future like there wasn't any thing out there to help me.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Took it to the Genius Bar today. They didn't even try to open it or anything, basically told me it was ruined and I had to spend $75 on a new one because I'm out of warranty. So they did **** all. Some genius' they are. I'm pretty sure I'll get it to work if I change the batteries but have to get it open first. I'm going to keep trying and I'll update if I fix it.

I'm hoping this will help someone else in the future like there wasn't any thing out there to help me.

I am in the same boat. I have it open but the batteries seem welded in. I am thinking of a drill once I secure the track pad in a vice with plenty of padding.

Vcvs2

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2015
you should not buy nor magic trackpad or keyboard, ever !!! I do not buy more !!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,077

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Love a good Alkaline Battery Story.
Eneloops came out, what 7-9 years ago?
Just sayin' - Guess you need to be around long enough
to have your first "Acid Freeze" in a flashlight or toy.

Now Ya Know ;)

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
you can try using white vinegar to dissolve the corrosion....it will do a better job than WD-40.

Some tips from a flashlight forum (adapt them to fit your situation as appropriate - I would try the vinegar first to get rid of as much corrosion as possible - then try the screw pulling technique):

How to get the batteries out that have corroded:

1. Find a #10 self tapping hex head steel screw 2" long.
2. Measure down the barrel how far the battery is.
3. Get an extension for your drill (battery drill prefered) to allow the screw to be power screwed into the battery.
4a. Before power drilling the self tapping screw into the battery, ensure that you have some very long needle nosed pliers or vise grips that will reach the screw, otherwise figure something out that can pull the screwed battery out, e.g. small chain, or steel wire.
4b. Pour some 3 in 1 oil down the barrel to assist the release of the battery. Ensure that battery is adequately flooded with oil.
5. Place maglite into bench mounted vise. Wrap something soft around it first, such as an old towel or rag. Make sure that the vise-gripping area is NOT at the same location as the stuck battery.
6. Power drive the self tapping screw into the battery. If using a small chain, put screw through end of chain first. (may have to use a few washers, etc..)
7. Make sure that you can pull with lots of strength and the maglite won't pull out of the vise. (test pull the lite)
8. Pull the battery out of the barrel using vise grips grabbing the screw, or the chain attached to the screw.
9. With the battery out, flush the barrel with isopropyl alcohol to get the oil out. Allow to dry. OK to jam a rag down there to dry also.
10. Take a broom handle and tape some 80-100-150 grit sandpaper to it. Sand the inside of the barrel to remove corrosion. Gently test inside diameter of barrel with another non-leaky junk battery.
11. Flush maglite with lots of clear running water to remove debris. Flush with isopropyl alcohol to absorb water, and let air dry overnight open.
12. Reassemble the next day.

Note that even if you wreck the trackpad getting them out - if they are name-brand (Duracell or Energizer) you can contact the battery mfgr and they will replace the item that was destroyed (see their website for their guarantee).

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Update

What miracles were you hoping for, seriously?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
you should not buy nor magic trackpad or keyboard, ever !!! I do not buy more !!!
Batteries, especially cheap ones, tend to leak and mess up the electronics. I am confused why the trackpad is the problem in your opinion?

Bilsaj

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2015
If your trackpad battery compartment is sealed shut do not try to open it. It takes tremendous amount of force and messing up with chemicals. At the end of the day, you will either not be able to open the compartment or in the process damage the trackpad. I just spent the whole weekend doing the same thing and then grabbed my tools to do the job. I now have a slightly damaged but fully functional trackpad with no worries for a future catastrophe. The pictures below will give you the entire story and the way out. The slot will be covered with a plastic sleeve. The tool used was a dremel rotary tool.
20151121_182150.jpg

20151122_134144-1-1.jpg
20151122_134311-1.jpg
20151122_154445-1-1-1.jpg
20151122_191555-1.jpg
20151122_191839-1.jpg
20151122_191846-1.jpg
View attachment 601726

Last edited:

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Since you had Duracells that obviously caused the damage and have photographic proof - go to their website and look up how to take advantage of their guarantee. They will send you reimbursement for a new trackpad.

rbacreative

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Got it! I wasn't satisfied with the "get a new one" or "break out the power tools" solution an finally got it with a nickel and pliers after destroying a couple of quarters, pennies and a screwdriver. The flat head of a screwdriver alone doesn't get as much surface contact as the nickel. The thicker nickel, along with pliers applied just up to the trackpad so there's no play AND a few "impact" turns did the trick. I'm sure that might not happen in all cases, or if the corrosion and expansion is too much, but I was just on my way to drop some money when I gave it a last go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.