Magic Trackpad Details: Software Update Required, Clicking Feet, and a New Gesture

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 27, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple's Magic Trackpad next to MacBook Pro (Source: MacRumors Forums)
    Announced earlier today, Apple's Magic TrackPad is already making its way into the hands of reviewers and customers, and a few tidbits of interest have been coming out about the Bluetooth device.

One of the first observations made by purchasers who have been able to get their hands on the device is that it requires a software update to enable full functionality, an update that has just been posted on Apple's site in Mac OS X, Windows 64-bit, and Windows 32 -bit versions.
    [​IMG]

Underside of Magic Trackpad showing clickable feet (Source: Macworld)
    Macworld notes that the trackpad does support a physical click but that it is generated by two feet near the front edge of the bottom of the device rather than with a movable surface on the body of the device.
    Finally, Engadget reports that the Magic Trackpad comes with an optional new three-finger gesture that allows users to easily drag windows around the screen, a feature not present on trackpads integrated into Apple's current notebook computers.
    Apple's Magic Trackpad is priced at $69 and requires two AA batteries, available as part of Apple's new battery charger set also released today.

Article Link: Magic Trackpad Details: Software Update Required, Clicking Feet, and a New Gesture

2. macrumors 68030

WOW, its much bigger than i expected!

3. Guest

Surely

Neat-o.

Don't want/need.

I wonder if both feet have to click to register a mouse-click, or if one is enough.

4. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

WANT — I have fallen in love with Apple's trackpads. Nobody does it better.

5. macrumors 6502a

saxon48

As awesome as it looks, a built-in trackpad, Magic Mouse, AND this external trackpad would be too much for my MBP. :D

6. macrumors regular

Looking froward to checking this out. Hopefully the valley fair store has some in today!

7. macrumors 6502a

SBlue1

curious how it feels. very interesting.

8. macrumors 6502a

saxon48

That's what she said.

Sorry... couldn't resist, especially after seeing your signature. :p

9. macrumors member

Does anyone know of any availability at the retail stores or is it only available online?

10. macrumors 6502a

Can someone try it with Windows (7/XP) and see if it works? Inquiring minds would like to know! Thanks!

11. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

It says there in the article that the basic functions work:
    (Probably left click/right click, no multitouch I'm guessing).

12. macrumors newbie

iPad?

While I can already guess its not going to work....anyone know if it will work with the iPad?

Something tells me know being there is no cursor or anything. Might be useful for the iWork apps though.

13. macrumors member

Program specific gestures?

I haven't heard too much about this yet, does anyone know if there will be program specific gestures? I'm dreaming about new ways to control FCP.

14. macrumors 6502

I greatly miss my MBP's trackpad at work, so I've been waiting for this. Hopefully, somebody is going to make a "BetterTouchTool" for Windows.

15. macrumors 6502

I really don't see this changing the game all that much. I have yet to meet anyone that prefers a track pad to a mouse when both are present options.

Granted, I do love the gestures from the MBP trackpad, but the magic mouse can provide the same actions with MagicPrefs - not to mention the fact that you can set hot-spots on the screen to accomplish the 4-finger swipe action on the trackpad.

Sure, its a cool gadget, but it doesn't seem like any sort of game changer.

16. macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

My iMac runs 10.4.11. Would this work? I know it says 10.6 on the website, but I have the Aluminum Bluetooth Wireless keyboard and it works just fine and Apple's website says it only works with 10.5 or later.

17. macrumors 68030

Hahaha nice one, i should have worded that differently :p

18. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Does anyone know if it allow you to use the gestures in Windows? Like can you do 2 finger scrolling in Safari for Windows? Can you swipe with 3 fingers to go back and forwards a web page using Safari on windows? I hear that its a basic touch pad for Windows using the windows drivers, but Does Apple update give it some capability on Windows?

19. macrumors 68030

baryon

It appears the software update also enables the gestures on MacBook Pros? Can someone confirm?

20. macrumors 6502

cult hero

As a side note, this update added some functionality to older machines. I can't verify precisely what machines, but a friend of mine bought my 2008 15" Unibody MBP a few months ago when I got the most recent 13" model.

Inertial scrolling has been added to these older machines with this update.

21. macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Does this mean we can get inertial scrolling now in the mid-2009 MBP's?

22. macrumors regular

giosaccone

Did you buy it at the Apple Store??

23. macrumors 6502

iJcaP

Will it work with Windows at least as a touch mouse? Will it work with iPad in some sort of way?

24. macrumors G5

Consultant

Interesting. Seems to be less moving parts than the whole surface clicking.

In soviet russia feet clicks you?

25. macrumors 6502

retrospek

Has anyone mentioned yet that this software is also available for the Macbook Pro ? Just got the update to enable three finger drag gestures :D