Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
iMacZealot said:
...Yes, many articles in Wikipedia are accurate, but minor things can be changed without notice. And when I said the thing about the bums, I meant that I'd rather read what a person with a PhD in Botany has to say about the Brasilian Verbena over a Wikipaedist that just has googled the subject a few times. Sure, it's okay for just a brief overview on something, but it should never should be used for professional or academic purposes...

That's not true, one of the things that's nice about Wikipedia is the change log which allows you to see what has been changed and who changed it. This allows a transparency that the EB doesn't have.
However, anyone who uses either the EB (or any Encyclopedia or general source) or Wikipedia as a basis for professional or academic purposes is in trouble, and I think most people know this.
I wouldn't use Wikipedia to write an engineering paper of magnesium engine cradles, but I would say the article on Magnesium was effective and useful to give me an idea of how flammable (or not) it happens to be.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
lifeofart said:
Apple knows what they are doing.

I use to have a motorcycle that had a magnesium alloy block. Believe me that block got a heck of lot hotter than any ipod or powerbook, it took an infinite more amout of abuse, and it was as light as a feather.

Bring on the Merom, Magnesium, Macbook or Triple M book.

That is what I said. Apple not to going to use pure magnesium. Pure magneisum is way to reactive. I said that it be some alloy. Magnesium alloys are good but people here are acting like apple going to use pure magnesuim and no one is stupid enough to use that. If they are they deserverd to be fired. Pure magnesuim is to reactive. An alloy on the other had is good.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Timepass said:
That is what I said. Apple not to going to use pure magnesium. Pure magneisum is way to reactive. I said that it be some alloy. Magnesium alloys are good but people here are acting like apple going to use pure magnesuim and no one is stupid enough to use that. If they are they deserverd to be fired. Pure magnesuim is to reactive. An alloy on the other had is good.

Exactly. Apple already has experience with magnesium alloy, that's what the iBook's framework was made from.

Only jewlers make things out of pure metals, everything else is some kind of alloy.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
How is magnesium going to prevent the screen from being scratched? I could care less what the ipod is made out of. The only thing I care about is how is Apple going to prevent the screen from being scratched. Apple should do what Nokia has done for the Nokia 8801 cell phone, and use a saphire crystal (Or hell if Apple wants to go cheaper then use a mineral cyrstal) for the iPod screen. This will prevent scratches completly. The only draw back with saphire is that it will chip, but keep in mind watch makers uses saphire and mineral crystal all the time on GOOD watches. These watches are used daily like an iPod and people hardly drop them hard enough or bang them hard enough to chip them. Hell I bang my watch really hard sometimes (on accident) and just expect to see a chip, when I look down my watch is perfectly fine, no scratches or chips, and I have had it for over two years.

just my thoughts
late

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
jamesnajera said:
How is magnesium going to prevent the screen from being scratched? I could care less what the ipod is made out of. The only thing I care about is how is Apple going to prevent the screen from being scratched. Apple should do what Nokia has done for the Nokia 8801 cell phone, and use a saphire crystal (Or hell if Apple wants to go cheaper then use a mineral cyrstal) for the iPod screen. This will prevent scratches completly. The only draw back with saphire is that it will chip, but keep in mind watch makers uses saphire and mineral crystal all the time on GOOD watches. These watches are used daily like an iPod and people hardly drop them hard enough or bang them hard enough to chip them. Hell I bang my watch really hard sometimes (on accident) and just expect to see a chip, when I look down my watch is perfectly fine, no scratches or chips, and I have had it for over two years.

just my thoughts
late

Well, it might be a problem of cost since the Nokia 8801 is around $500+. There might be a problem of manufacture, cost, and readability of LCDs through crystal. Or Apple may not think is necessary.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
savar said:
Salts of magnesium are used in fireworks, yes.

Chunks of metal? Nooooo, that would just be shrapnel. Setting magnesium metal on fire takes a lot of effort, so nobody get started on "I left my IPod in the sun for 20 minutes and it blew up!" threads.

cool... will see the inevitable return of the "man-auto-set-on-fire" urban legend... :D :D

"I swear, the man bursted into flame while skipping through his playlists"
- Eye witness ;)

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
iMacZealot said:
But the damn site is all voluntary, no real authority. People could change something on less looked at articles and nobody'd no the difference! My sister's professors do not allow their students to you Wikipedia! Just because something's longer doesn't mean it's bettter! If you've ever used Encyclopaedia Brittanica or the World Book, the authors are pros on the subject, not just some bum that's obcessed with Google!

Off topic...
Still, I look at Wiki first and then I always double-check with other sources of information.
Wiki might have weakness but there's so much information (and images, sounds, etc.) All at the same address!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.