Magnetic stuff - cool or bad in a big perspective?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jiddick ExRex, May 17, 2006.

1. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

So the new latch is magnetic on the Macbooks. That's awesome. There is just one big 'but' (no pun intended): one of my friend's MBP's Magsafe is starting to 'wear out' so it doesn't connect as easily or as strongly as when he just bought it. Would the new magnetic latch also be able to wear out?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Is it even a latch? I don't see how an actual latch could not have a button to un-latch it.

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

From what I've read, its not a latch, but there is an indent for you to pull the screen open when it is magnetically closed.

My worry would be the magnet wearing out over time. Also, just how much force does it take to open the screen?

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Magnets have been used as the sole means of keeping something closed for ages, like in purses. It is a tried and true technology that should last plenty long.

If your friends magsafe is getting noticeably weaker already something is probably wrong. Really the only way to weaken a magnet is to hit it repeatedly or run a moving strong magnetic field over it in the wrong direction.