Magnets in cases... should we worry?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by dacalo, Apr 6, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I came across this post in Amazon where I was looking to return my Yoobao case for my iPad 2:

And I agree. I was concerned about the magnet in my Yoobao case potentially harming my iPad in the long run even though this wasn't the main reason I am returning the case. All other cases out there, the Potenzo, P&Q, they ALL have smart cover feature.

Thoughts?

2. macrumors 6502

2 Words - Apple Care!

3. macrumors 68040

boshii

If anything goes wrong, just say it was a smart cover.

4. macrumors 65816

iApples

Apple released the smartcover themselves. I'm sure there is not effect to the actual iPad or they would have never releases this product.

5. thread starter macrumors member

I think you missed my point. I am not worried about the magnet itself per se, but that other smart cover clones do not use similar magnets with Apple's specs.

6. gr8tfly, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's a magnet. They all work pretty much the same way. The only differences (simply stated) would be the physical size and the strength of its field. I would bet Apple uses neodymium, which are the strongest permanent magnets available, currently. (There's another thread about the Smart Cover magnets, btw. Check my post there discussing effects on compasses and GPS, etc. Although the post you quote describing differences in magnets seems accurate, the points about "long term effects" aren't. No one going down this train of thought has shown specifically which compontents could be damaged and if so, specifically how that would occur. Think for a second about devices using hard drives - they contain much larger and "stronger" magnets than could ever be used in a cover, yet those devices go on their merry way just fine.).

The only thing a 3rd party case manufacturer could do is misplace the magnet, or use something so weak it wouldn't be sensed (not likely) - either way, it would only mean the sleep/wake function wouldn't work.

7. macrumors 68000

3goldens

yes yes worry worry worry!
    OMG!
    another needless thread.

8. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for another needless post.

Thanks for g8tfly, I was just wondering. :D

9. Guest

Alaerian

You realize that the MacBook lines have magnets in the case to keep the lid closed, right? There has been no issues there. Ergo, no reason to keep your tinfoil hat on.

10. xraytech, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

macrumors 68020

Great, more FUD

Back when Nokia phones were the talk of the town, I had this magnetic dash mount in my car and that thing was strong. But the most interesting thing about this magnetic dash mount is that it was a NON NOKIA UNIVERSAL magnetic dash mount. All it was is a huge neodymium magnet that probably could have pulled 5lbs. Did it hurt my cellphone? No it didn't. Sometimes I would forget and leave it mounted overnight. Did it hurt my cellphone? No it didn't.

Will tiny aftermarket probably neodymium magnets hurt your iPad. No.

11. macrumors 65816

iApples

A magnet is a magnet.

12. macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

agreed.