Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjjohnson3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Hi,
I am interested in learning more about displays, screen size, text size, zooming capabilities, screen magnifiers.
First, with os x can you zoom the screen to different magnifications?

Second, has anyone used a fresnel lens or some other magnifier to magnify their monitor? I am hoping to buy a new imac intel but the screen is kind of small with respect to text, etc. and I would like to view the monitor from another room. I am planning on buying an lcd tv to magnify it as well, but in the mean time I am looking for temporary solutions.

Third, in viewing the different mac monitors at the store I noticed something interesting. The bigger the monitor it seems the more screen "real estate" you get but... the size of the text, images, etc. is still about the same no matter which size monitor you view. In other words the bigger monitor is designed to allow more space to use for viewing more windows, etc.??? But not for making the text, images, etc. bigger. Also I know that the resolution closely relates to this and that you can change the resolution.

To make a long story short I am trying to make the text, images, and everything have the option of being very large or zoomed in. Is this possible??

And how will the image look on a large lcd tv?? Will it be as nice as the 30 inch mac monitor that I saw in regards to screen "real estate"?

Fourth, has anyone used any third party software to magnify/zoom?

any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks,
Vincent

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Yes, "Universal Access" under System Preferances allows zooming, and is very easy to set/use/understand.:D I occasionally use it, and is very usefull.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
As for the first question you can activate zooming by going into System Preferences > Universal Access and turn the zoom option on (I believe option + command + 8, will do this too). Then you can use option + command + = to zoom in and option + command + - to zoom out.

Within apps command + = usually increases text size

In finder go to view options and you can choose your text and icon size there

And hopefully with Leopard we'll have independent scaling GUI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.