MagSafe 2 on 2012 MBA not staying connected

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HarryWarden, Sep 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2012
    The magsafe 2 connector on my 2012 13-inch MBA becomes disconnected quite easily. Is this a function of the design so when you trip over the cord you don't pull the entire laptop off a table or wherever it may be? Sometimes when I'm lying in bed it just comes unplugged if I move around a little. Is this something I should take it to the Apple Store to have checked out? Also, if I should venture to the store, should I go today (Sept. 20) or will it be way too crowded with the iPhone launch and thus impossible to get help?
  2. macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2013
    I have that issues with the new magsafe also, i think they used a weaker magnet to help prevent damage.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2011
    Apple should've stayed with the L-connector, much more esthetic and functional.
  4. macrumors 68020

Sep 6, 2002
  5. macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2013
    I like that its probably just a small rare rare earth magnet to make the connection tighter. $20 is a lot though for that.
  6. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    If it keeps annoying you all day, that's a small price to pay.

Love my Magsafe1. super low profile and works perfect. When deciding between a 2012 and a 2011, THIS seemly minor item pushed me over.
  7. macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    And only be able to plug it in one way or else block the adjacent ports?
  8. macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2008
    Not sure about that! The Magsafe on my 2013 Air is seriously strong.. trying to pull it out is actually quite difficult!
  9. macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2013
    Both my MBA and MBP have excellent mag safe connectors. I enjoy the precise fit and ideal solution to avoid damage if someone trips over the cord.

Perhaps the OP got a bad one.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Nov 7, 2011
    Agreed. Love the magnet on these things.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2011
    Nope, the L-shape plugs in two ways, 180degree's opposite. With the cable running to the rear, does not block ports. What I hate about Mag2 is the cable HAS to run 90deg left, which limits options on placing the Air against anything to the left (leg, desk, wall, etc). This was a step back, and one reason I'm not upgrading my 2010 Air to something less functional.
  12. macrumors 68000

Oct 30, 2008
    The new MagSafes do come off easily, but there are limits. I found a microscopic bit of schmutz had gotten into my connector. Cleaned it out with a wooden toothpick, and instantly doubled the holding force.
  13. macrumors 65816

May 1, 2009
    seconded...i was actually expecting it to be weak because several people have made such a claim but mine isn't noticeably different from the magsafe 1 on my macbook. the new one is small so ostensibly it should be easier to pull out if they used the same strength magnet, but i'm not really noticing it.

The fact that some people are and others aren't might suggest a minor (albeit understandably annoying) QC issue...
  14. macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2010
    vancouver bc canada
    check your magsafe port for even the smallest bit of schmutz

just got a new mac book air, connected the magsafe for the first time and saw immediately that it was loose, jiggly, and disconnected easily.
    quickly googled to see if this was normal - ended up here reading sjinsjca's comment.

took a magnifying glass and looked at the port - indeed there was the smallest piece of loose (magnetic) metal in there - pushed it around with a wooden toothpick before i took a pair of tweezers and removed it and now the magsafe fits perfectly as expected.
    totally try checking and cleaning your magsafe port.....