Magsafe Airline Adaptor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndyR, Oct 24, 2006.

1. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Cool! Just noticed on the MBP C2D page there is an option for a "Magsafe Airline Adaptor"! Store is still down so no details but about time this came out!

2. Chimera macrumors 6502

Now you'll never lose your work or interrupt a DVD movie because your battery runs out at 35,000 feet. The MagSafe Airline Power Adapter will keep your MacBook or MacBook Pro juiced throughout your flight. Sleek and light, it works with in-seat DC power ports available on many commercial airliners — both EmPower ports and 20mm ports with the included adapter. Check with your airline regarding availability of in-seat power ports.

$60

3. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

$60 in the USA, so that'll probably £60 in the UK then :rolleyes:

4. Chimera macrumors 6502

£39.99 which is a pretty good conversion when you add tax (£37)

5. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

that's awesome, definitely gonna get one before i go anywhere far

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sweet. I've been using an inverter to get a standard connection to the AC adaptor but this generates amazing amounts of heat and trips out after a while. This was never a good solution as the seat provides DC which the inverter converts to AC and the magsafe adaptor then converts back to DC! The Apple one looks like direct DC straight through, but it won't work with my PSP...

7. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

8. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I've never seen a power adapter in a plane. Never.

9. Radioman macrumors regular

That's just plane (sic) dumb!!!

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

You need to fly Business Class or First Class on most airlines to see this. American has power ports that are like the car outlets in many of the coach class seats.

11. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

It works on a couple of the Airline Power Sources Only;

(Source - Apple Store)

"The MagSafe Airline Power Adapter will keep your MacBook or MacBook Pro juiced throughout your flight. Sleek and light, it works with in-seat DC power ports available on many commercial airliners — both EmPower ports and 20mm ports with the included adapter. Check with your airline regarding availability of in-seat power ports. "

There is another type of adaptor that airlines use depending upon aircraft. If you wish to know more on this try this site;

www.seatguru.com or www.tripso.com

More info there on airline power. But this is great for these types of aircraft anyways. Will be ordering my own here quick!!

Bill....

12. Deimo macrumors member

Any speculation as to why it won't work in a car? It seems like it uses the same DC plug (cigarette lighter) as what is found in cars. I don't know the specs (voltage, current) of either port, but I would assume that they operate at the same voltage, so is it a simple matter of the car not having sufficient current to drive the MBP, or is it something more than this?

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Airline seats provide 15V with a maximum draw of 75W. I believe that car batteries only provide 12V.

14. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Yeah, me neither. At least CO, UA, NW, DL, and South West flights I took did not have the power outlet in the couch seat. A previous poster said AA has the power outlet for couch seats.

15. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Here is a capture from "Seatguru.Com" as a jpeg attachment.

Bill.......:eek:

Attached Files:

16. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

yep, the power adapter is good for powering computer., but not charging the battery