Mai Logic and the PPC970

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sun Baked, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look's like Amiga Inc will have the PPC970 in their future, hopefully, if they can get OS 4.0 released.

Mai Logic is the supplier of the Articia Northbridge used in the current Amiga hardware.
    Thanks for pointing out the news RandyB and M.Isobe

2. Eric_Z macrumors regular

As a quick btw. here's a link to a (confidential) pps file containing (p 16 - 17) the block diagrams of the Articia I and Is.

And as a quick warning, that pps is rater large, and it's largely in chinese ... well not the block dagrams fortunately.

3. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Thanks Eric_Z,

This is the first sign of a Linux PPC970 machine, that doesn't use the IBM/Apple U3 Controller.

Good news for giving IBM/Apple a swift kick in the ass to keep ahead of the competition -- and Mai Logic is already showing PCI-Express/DDR2 on this chipset.

4. Eric_Z macrumors regular

Heh here's one Amiga nutter that hopes that it'll(Teron I) be used for more then Linux. ;) And it does mention OS4 on p.33.

True, will be very interesting to see if Apple will bother with DDR-II just yet though, IMHO the advantage of DDR-II isn't obvoius untill you start using PC2-5400 or PC2-6400 due to poorer latency, and those memory modules that support those clock rates aren't exactly abundent on the market today. And those that exist aren't exactly cheap from what I've seen so far.

Not that I'd complain an awfully lot if Apple released a nice new 3Ghz dual Power Mac with PC2-5400/PC2-6400 and PCI-Express support. *drools* :cool: