Mail 1.3.11 failing to receive messages from Gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skiff, Nov 13, 2006.

1. skiff macrumors member

I'm ready for the gas pipe, I've re-checked my email settings so many times I can do it in my sleep. The facts are: I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.9 with Mail 1.3.11. I have 2 pop email accounts. My ISP email is set to forward all messages (Family and friends) to my 2GB Gmail account. I love the way that part works, it's the next part that gives me a migraine – none of my gmail comes through (oddly, my forwarded ISP email works fine). To get my Gmail, I have to go to the website and do the log-on routine. That ought to be unnecessary, I should be able to read messages from 10 accounts at one place.

I've read a lot of stuff provided by Gmail and Apple, but have failed to profit from any of it. One friend persuaded me to select Helvetica as my email font because that's what Mail 1.3.11 preferred he said. Well you can laugh if you want to, but I even tried that — with no luck. I did the Network Utility ping test thing suggested by Mail > Help, it established there was nothing wrong in that department. I'm willing to change my deodorant if it will help.

Please somebody talk to me.

2. majorp macrumors 6502

i know you have said you checked many times nut have you also allowed pop retrieve in the gmail settings?

3. skiff thread starter macrumors member

Very good point, I not only enabled POP, I also clicked "Save" down below. I've been very busy on Google since my first post, still no luck.

I have no error messages, no demands for password, no hint whatever why my Mail.app and Gmail are failing to communicate. I deleted Gmail and re-installed it to guard against hard-to-notice typos — Gmail (or Mail.app) still takes a hike. I rechecked the POP and SMTP ports — 587 and 995 are right. Both SSL protected.

I checked with my ISP to make sure we were on the same page with my settings, A OK there.

Please keep thinking — I'm sure in the end it's going to be some piddling little detail.

4. majorp macrumors 6502

send an invite to a random address that doesn't exist, look in the sent messages, click the link to open a new gmail account, set it up, see if that email address works with pop/mail

if it doesn't then you know its in the settings somewhere.

5. skiff thread starter macrumors member

Wow! What a sneaky guy you are, I love it. I'll save it for a last resort — with my inaptitude, I'm liable to create Frankenstin monster.

Of all the irritations I've encountered with my machine, this email thing has been one of the most galling.

Thanks for your thought.