Mail 2.0 and auto-addresses

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hank_Reardon, May 22, 2005.

1. Hank_Reardon macrumors newbie

I have what may be a stupid question about Mail 2.0. Is there a way to make it automatically find addresses in my received mail? It seems like it would be easy to do, especially with the allegedly built in spotlight functionality. Let me explain what I mean. I have a message from my friend Brent Ballew in my inbox somewhere, but I don't remember his email address and would rather not hunt for it. I want to just click New Message and type in Brent Ballew and have Mail find the address for me. This works quite well when Brent is in my address book, but if he isn't I have to add a few more steps (search for Brent Ballew, open a message, add him to my address book). I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be able to find this for me, and I'm fairly sure Outlook 2003 does it. Thanks for the help in advance. :)

-Hank Reardon

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would like to see this feature as well, even though I don't send too much email. I can't find a way to enable it directly, but I did notice something while poking around - Mail supports custom LDAP servers. I wonder if it's possible to set up a local LDAP server whose database is Spotlight's index of email messages. If it is possible, that should do the trick, at least until Apple implements this in Mail.