Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Whenever Mail has new messages, the scroll bar is all screwed up and not all of the new messages are displayed unless I minimize Mail and then restore it. Anyone else seeing this behavior? I never had anything like this with Mail in Panther.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
patseguin said:
Whenever Mail has new messages, the scroll bar is all screwed up and not all of the new messages are displayed unless I minimize Mail and then restore it. Anyone else seeing this behavior? I never had anything like this with Mail in Panther.

I haven't seen this in Mail 2.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
patseguin said:
I've seen a couple of other bugs in Mail 2, but not this one.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
I installed and subsequently un-installed the Tiger-compatible ShapeShifter. Could that be the problem?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Most likely as I've haven't encountered the bug that you've got. I suggest doing a Find search in Finder (command-f) to make sure you've got rid of all Shapeshifter files.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
munkle said:
Most likely as I've haven't encountered the bug that you've got. I suggest doing a Find search in Finder (command-f) to make sure you've got rid of all Shapeshifter files.

Or better yet, a Spotlight search? ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Did you reboot after uninstalling shapeshifter? I don't know exactly how it works, but it might not have gotten completely removed from memory (there may be processes or kernel extensions floating around) if you uninstalled it but didn't reboot. Some of the other system modification type programs are like this.

EDIT: BTW, Cmd-F in Finder *is* a Spotlight-driven search. It's spotlight all the way through, baby! :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
patseguin said:
Or better yet, a Spotlight search? ;)

Depending on your Spotlight preferences, it won't make such a thorough search of your system. For example, preferences files won't show up. Of course both searches are using Spotlight technology.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
munkle said:
Depending on your Spotlight preferences, it won't make such a thorough search of your system. For example, preferences files won't show up. Of course both searches are using Spotlight technology.

You know what's strange? I was about to make this same comment when I was editing my last reply. I'm on 10.4.0, with everything checked in the Spotlight prefs in sys prefs, and nothing selected in the privacy tab -- which I think is the default. I could've sworn that in the past, this would resulted in files from the system and root library folders being omitted. But today, it seemed to find plists and files in the /library folder. I wonder why this is different now than it was for me???

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
mkrishnan said:
Did you reboot after uninstalling shapeshifter? I don't know exactly how it works, but it might not have gotten completely removed from memory (there may be processes or kernel extensions floating around) if you uninstalled it but didn't reboot. Some of the other system modification type programs are like this.

EDIT: BTW, Cmd-F in Finder *is* a Spotlight-driven search. It's spotlight all the way through, baby! :)

Both are very good points. I don't think I did reboot after uninstalling. As a matter of fact, I tried emptying the trash yesterday and it couldn't delete some file related to ShapeShifter. You would think I would put 2+2. ;)

Also, very good point on search. I had forgotten that Spotlight technology was system-wide.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
patseguin said:
Both are very good points. I don't think I did reboot after uninstalling. As a matter of fact, I tried emptying the trash yesterday and it couldn't delete some file related to ShapeShifter. You would think I would put 2+2. ;)

Also, very good point on search. I had forgotten that Spotlight technology was system-wide.

Repair permissions too (from Disk Utility in the Utilities folder). Might as well. Never know.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
mkrishnan said:
Repair permissions too (from Disk Utility in the Utilities folder). Might as well. Never know.

I never understood why repairing permissions was necessary and how it effects performance. If the OS is so advanced, why is something like repairing permissions needed?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
patseguin said:
I never understood why repairing permissions was necessary and how it effects performance. If the OS is so advanced, why is something like repairing permissions needed?

If some kernel extension or other system file has the wrong permissions, it may prevent that file from loading on startup. There are sometimes legitimate reasons to do this; that would be my guess as to why it's allowed to happen in the first place.

I suppose the OS could have a background task that checked permissions on files frequently and fixed them for you. The problem arises when installers or uninstallers or other programs that modify a file don't give it back the right permissions. To be honest, if you're not installing or removing any software, you don't really need to repair permissions very often, although it never hurts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.